• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Miller DD over 100k with the vig

218 posts in this topic

Romita Jr is definitely another artist you can put in the 'jumped the shark' camp. Personally I think his artwork has been on a decline since around the time of his second stint on Uncanny X-Men in the late 80's.

However...

His collaboration with Bob Layton on Iron Man, his early 80's work on ASM, first run on Uncanny X-Men and his run with Al Williamson on Daredevil are all right up there with the very best from the 1980's IMHO.

Could not disagree on his DD run more. I still get nauseous when I think about his artwork there, on the Typhoid Mary storyline and that whole weird son of the devil storyline.

Eeeeee Gads....if you don't see the genius of the JRJR + Al Williamson team up on that run and the Miller mini series I feel we have an untenable divide between us.

No issues with the Miller mini-series, I just didn't agree with Gene that Miller's art was better or more accessible because of Rubinstein's inks.

But I don't like JRJR's work, never have never will. :sumo:

I meant JRJR's pencils and Williamson's inks on the Miller written mini series DD: Man Without Fear.

Don't see anything nice about this piece at all?

DDManwofear1cover_03-01-2009_04-43-13.jpg

That's just painful to look at. Like someone unsuccessfully trying to mimic Ronin-era Miller.

Sorry Chris, a helpful boardie just pointed out to me that you owned this piece. I guess I was particularly slow today and somehow didn`t make the connection that your posting it in all likelihood meant that it was yours. doh!

I apologize for my rather, er, blunt, comment on your piece. I have no doubt that it`s a highly prized piece among JRJR fans. :foryou:

Romita Jr is definitely another artist you can put in the 'jumped the shark' camp. Personally I think his artwork has been on a decline since around the time of his second stint on Uncanny X-Men in the late 80's.

However...

His collaboration with Bob Layton on Iron Man, his early 80's work on ASM, first run on Uncanny X-Men and his run with Al Williamson on Daredevil are all right up there with the very best from the 1980's IMHO.

Could not disagree on his DD run more. I still get nauseous when I think about his artwork there, on the Typhoid Mary storyline and that whole weird son of the devil storyline.

Eeeeee Gads....if you don't see the genius of the JRJR + Al Williamson team up on that run and the Miller mini series I feel we have an untenable divide between us.

No issues with the Miller mini-series, I just didn't agree with Gene that Miller's art was better or more accessible because of Rubinstein's inks.

I meant JRJR's pencils and Williamson's inks on the Miller written mini series DD: Man Without Fear.

That's just painful to look at. Like someone unsuccessfully trying to mimic Ronin-era Miller.

Hmmm...took a look at Ronin art recently and it sure looks like Miller unsuccessfully trying to mimic Moebius :gossip:

Having communicated with the current owner of the Dark Knight Returns #2 cover, I can honestly say it is not going anywhere. I have tried for years to pry it from him and he will not sell.

i woudln't either. :insane: can you get him to post a scan or pic? :wishluck:

Forgot to post this here earlier. Comiclink has the cover stat, so you can see what the OA looks like:

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3DDark%2BKNight%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26ItemType%3DCA&id=769547

The asking price is...hopeful. Originally sold on Ebay for $400 a couple of years ago.

Here's Frank Miller's most recent SIN CITY art:

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/05/26/new-sin-city-covers-by-frank-miller/

I'm sure that was intentional for the book cover design. I doubt his interiors would be that minimalist. Regardless, as simple as it is, it's distinctively "Miller". I prefer it to some of the more detailed work he's done recently (for variant covers, re-releases, etc.)...much of that stuff has left me cold. DKR2 was a low point and it's been more of the same since.

However...

Hmmm...took a look at Ronin art recently and it sure looks like Miller unsuccessfully trying to mimic Moebius :gossip:

I've always loved the Ronin stuff, but in regards to mimicking Moebius, I always felt there were 3 separate Miller incarnations that ran through that series. The first two Ronin issues were a continuation of what his Daredevil work had evolved into. Check out Miller's last DD cover (191) and you'll see the same approach in Ronin #1 and 2. His inks quickly began to evolve into the Moebius look (my least favorite Miller incarnation, and I'm a HUGE Moebius fan) but by the 5th or 6th issue, began to combine all that had come before into what I consider the beginning of Miller's most mature and most appealing look. It would carry over into his Lone Wolf and Cub cover work and the Electra Lives graphic novel (which has two distinct styles of it's own since it was done on a start and stop schedule over several years). I'm just a tremendous fan of seeing an artist's work evolve in front of my eyes as they experiment publicly. They allow their audience to share the creative journey. David Mazzuchelli did the same thing on his DD and Batman Year One runs, which not so coincidentally were both written by Miller.

Other than just gushing about some of my favorite work like the fan boy that I am, my point is that the creative nexus swirling around all things Miller during this period are why those of us who are fans will go to extraordinary lengths, and expense (!!!) to add as many pieces of this guys work to our art collection as we can find and afford.

Scott Williams

I actually have a copy of the Wolverine Mini TPB from 1987 which has a new cover by Miller drawn in one of his later styles (a la Elektra Lives Again).

I meant to reply to this earlier. I also have this TPB and have always considered the cover to be one of my favorite Miller pieces:

http://www.amazon.com/Wolverine-Chris-Claremont/dp/087135277X#reader_087135277X

I've never seen the OA (I suspect Miller still has it) and wonder if it was colored directly by Lynn Varley...one of the few instances where I wouldn't mind having the OA colored...would prefer it, actually.

I'm a fan of both this and the #188 cover. To me, this is the nicer piece. But I have serious doubt it would sell for anywhere near what the #188 cover sold for, having much less exposure and more importantly, less attached nostalgia.

I actually have a copy of the Wolverine Mini TPB from 1987 which has a new cover by Miller drawn in one of his later styles (a la Elektra Lives Again).

I meant to reply to this earlier. I also have this TPB and have always considered the cover to be one of my favorite Miller pieces:

I've never seen the OA (I suspect Miller still has it) and wonder if it was colored directly by Lynn Varley...one of the few instances where I wouldn't mind having the OA colored...would prefer it, actually.

I'm a fan of both this and the #188 cover. To me, this is the nicer piece. But I have serious doubt it would sell for anywhere near what the #188 cover sold for, having much less exposure and more importantly, less attached nostalgia.

I seriously doubt this was colored on the actual original. It was probably done via a gray line transparency, with the black inked line printed on a clear acetate overlay on top of a non photo art board that took the colors.

It's a great cover, and artistically superior to all the covers of the mini series in my opinion.

Scott Williams

...Animal Man 5: That's a good one!

The Animal Man is the only one on that list which is really a potential A Bolland cover. If it were the cover to #1 or #5 you'd see fireworks regardless of where it's posted.

Animal Man #5 cover...

02bfe68e.jpg

so many comments! I might as well add a few. I like Millers art. Sure much of it is a bit 'sketchy' but when he's tight, he's one of the hobbys better artists and designers.

I think 100K is an astounding price. But, this piece is very clean. It has very few re-dos (touchups) unlike most comic artwork and thats appealing as its mostly a first take drawing. And the webs are painted on, not created by filling in blacks... which may sound like "so what" but using white paint on black aint easy! Has to be handled with care: thin enough to flow off the brush, but thick enough to remain opaque. And the webs are clean as a babys bottom. With a bit of flourish.

Sure the thigh is grotesque! But its pure Miller aint it? And Widpws hand on DDs face is stunningly simple in execution.

So, for me, as Miller covers go, this isnt such a bad piece. I think if it sold for 15K, most people would be singing its praises. So is it really only about the money?

I think if it sold for 15K, most people would be singing its praises

Any time the discussion is about money then the discussion gets heated up. I'm an occasional Miller fan (still haven't read DKR though I have had a copy for years) but I like this piece. The predominately black cover with the spider web is quite striking and would look great on a wall, providing a nice contrast with more typical line-base artwork. I'm not surprised it's at the high end for what Miller's art goes for.

Felix, I own a copy of this TPB and have to say that it is one of my favorite covers as well it certainly has more action and movement to it than any of the comic covers, though the cover to 1 is still iconic IMO.

Nexus thanks for that link..... After viewing Frank Millers new Sin City covers, i have to say his standard has dropped considerably.... I can't believe how simplistic he got..

millers batman variant covers are some of the worst drawings ive ever seen on a cover. its like hes not even trying now