• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939 Triumph Magazine (1st U.K. Superman reprints)
1 1

39 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, woowoo said:

... where are they for sale

I would suggest your LBCS (Local British Comic Shop) or try Amazon?

*dusts off the thread*

Great info in here, I came across a few of these in a consignment batch and they are a pain to research because of the title, but thankfully I found this thread after some digging!

Unfortunately none of these have the comic inside, but they do have one of the Superman covers from 1939, looks like it is the 2nd Superman cover in the UK, so still a great piece of history!

20230907_011912.thumb.jpg.8b92f8153cd9b095c0e5a4c20270fa68.jpg20230907_011916.thumb.jpg.65fa3d66f19dd760f0c972aba54805c0.jpg

On 9/7/2023 at 4:22 PM, Kromak said:

Anyone knows in which year the Triumph series started?

This is from downthetubes.net

"First published in 1924, Triumph, published by Amalgamated Press, was a hugely successful adventure paper of the period, the title now owned by Rebellion Publishing. 21 issues featured reprints of Superman, the character first making his debut in Britain only a year after the publication of Action Comics #1, June 1938.

Reprints of early Superman stories were, largely, adapted into the picture and text format presentation that was very much the norm of the day in British children’s and teenage titles of the time, and ran in Issues 772 – 792 (with a house advertisement featuring Superman in Issue 771), the Kryptonian hero returning in Issues 807 – 814."

On 12/5/2017 at 12:31 PM, eccomic said:

Well I just acquired a complete set :cloud9:

Someone else just got one also from PBA. Thought it might be you, but saw you already have one. Did you see the CCA book in that auction?

Edited by sfcityduck

On 3/28/2024 at 5:59 PM, sfcityduck said:

Someone else just got one also from PBA. Thought it might be you, but saw you already have one. Did you see the CCA book in that auction?

I did see the CCA book and wanted it but am not going to spend that sort of coin :dollars: