• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In all your years of collecting, have you ever “hit the big one”?

188 posts in this topic

Some examples.

Found a really high dollar book at a garage sale for pennies on the dollar?

Bought Jordan’s rookie card when it came out before the price skyrocketed?

Purchased a bunch of Walking Dead #1’s off the stand?

Etc., etc.

I for one never have, I pretty much suck at that.

Not much on my end. I purchased a Filmation's Ghost Busters headquarters complete with box for $5 at a comic store and resold it for around $400. I unknowingly pursued a multi million dollar comic book collection when I was younger.

I bought 15 copies of New Mutants #98 off the comic store rack in Dec, 1990 for 90 cents each.

9 of them have come back 9.8s....so far.

Does that count?

Oh, and I found an Albedo #2 for 75 cents (plus tax) at my LCS 2 years ago.

A few years back I went to Wizard World philly via public transportation from New York. When I go there, I went to one of the DC seminars and got a little bracelet, that at the end of the session turned out to be a Golden Ticket to a sneak preview screening of the new Dark Knight movie.

Trouble was, the screening wasn't at the convention center, you had to take a bus to get there. All the travel time equalled me missing the last train home, so I had to skip the movie.

I went to the DC booth to give back the bracelet, and they gave me one of those Superman Jim Lee sketch covers in exchange.

I sold it a week later on eBay for $180.

And that's pretty much the only time anything like that ever happened.

Nothing really huge but........

I once found copies of All Star Western 10 (about 6.0) and OAAW 128 (probably a little lower grade) for about $1 each.

Bought some of the early Valiant stuff off the shelf and then later, at the height of the hype, traded it to my then LCS for store credit. I then used that credit to buy some really HG SA Marvels.

Bought for $ 5 back in the day. 9.4/9.6 ish copies of Batmans 232 & 237. Also, a copy of 251 sold to Nik and later slabbed at 9.6

Also got a ToD 1 from same guy also for $ 5 in about the same condition.

Bought a small group of HG 10 cent DC war books from an OO collection for cheap money years ago when DC war wasn't worth anything.

Oh, and I found 11 copies of the Maxx Black ashcans for $1 each.

And I bought what would be a 9.8 Primer #5 for $5 in 1999.

And a 9.8 Strangers in Paradise #1 for $56 off eBay.

And a Turtles #1, 9.2-9.4, for $66 off eBay in 1999.

Oh, and I found 11 copies of the Maxx Black ashcans for $1 each.

And I bought what would be a 9.8 Primer #5 for $5 in 1999.

And a 9.8 Strangers in Paradise #1 for $56 off eBay.

And a Turtles #1, 9.2-9.4, for $66 off eBay in 1999.

Nice!

I went to the DC booth to give back the bracelet, and they gave me one of those Superman Jim Lee sketch covers in exchange.

I sold it a week later on eBay for $180.

At Gencon a few years ago, I snagged a couple Heroscape promos and later sold them for about $ 50 each on ebay.

Oh...I have a good "score" story.

I was steadily purchasing books from a gent in NY who was selling off his dad's collection in 1999. All sorts of stuff from Silver to Gold. One day he offers me a FF# 10 for $400. I got it and thought it was a very pretty 8.5/9.0.

Long story short, it comes back from CGC as a 9.2, but also one of the lost White Mountain copies. Sold it for something ridiculous.

I was steadily purchasing books from a gent in NY who was selling off his dad's collection in 1999. All sorts of stuff from Silver to Gold. One day he offers me a FF# 10 for $400. I got it and thought it was a very pretty 8.5/9.0.

Long story short, it comes back from CGC as a 9.2, but also one of the lost White Mountain copies. Sold it for something ridiculous.

very cool. must of been a very pleasant surprise when you realized it was a WM copy.

very cool. must of been a very pleasant surprise when you realized it was a WM copy.

I got a call from some guy named Steve from CGC, asking me if I realized what I had. While I thought the arrival date was very familiar, I didn't submit it with a pedigree designation since it wasn't sold to me as such. Turns out the OO of the WMs sold off bits and pieces of his collection before the main collection was purchased. My FF # 10 was likely a double that was sold off early.

This is also the first time I came to know Steve Borock. For the head of a grading company to personally call me and let me know I owned a pedigree was pretty darned cool.