• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In all your years of collecting, have you ever “hit the big one”?

188 posts in this topic

those are the worst...

Someone tried to sell me a set of Beta Magic cards in 1994 for $300, but I couldn't get the money... Looks like I can go buy that for about $14,000 these days...

Similarly, I sold a very minty Beta Black Lots for about $600 in 2002-ish... stupid thing's worth 3 times as much now... AND the guy to whom I sold it spilt a coffee on it the day he got it in the mail.

So with the coffee stain, now its only worth $600... (shrug) You should feel OK about that transaction then...

MTG :cloud9:

I bought 15 copies of New Mutants #98 off the comic store rack in Dec, 1990 for 90 cents each.

9 of them have come back 9.8s....so far.

Does that count?

Oh, and I found an Albedo #2 for 75 cents (plus tax) at my LCS 2 years ago.

why is that nearly every book you own seems to come back a 9.8?

Cause I'm, first and foremost, a coinee.

cost13.gif

But are you wondering why my books actually come back 9.8, or if I just *say* they come back 9.8...?

In case there are doubts....

IMG_1573.jpg

:cloud9:

1,2,3,4,5,6,7....So you're only fibbing about the other 2 then... (thumbs u

lol

No, they came in later subs...the 8th failed the first pre-screen, and passed the second, and the 9th wasn't sent in until the last one.

:)

No need to fib. Donut, Finghy, chainnball, and others can attest. (thumbs u

I bought 15 copies of New Mutants #98 off the comic store rack in Dec, 1990 for 90 cents each.

Does that count?

cost13.gif

But are you wondering why my books actually come back 9.8, or if I just *say* they come back 9.8...?

IMG_1573.jpg

lol

No, they came in later subs...the 8th failed the first pre-screen, and passed the second, and the 9th wasn't sent in until the last one.

Nice haul there RMA,

Just curious, did you buy 10 copies of every issue and that just happened to be the winner? Or did you buy 10 of that particular issue at the time? I always seemed to gravitate to multiples of the 1st issue phenomenon, or horrible characters in retrospect (think 3-d man or torpedo)... and that was assuming I could afford more than one.

You were probably one of those spoiled kids that got to go on a comic store binge once a week. :censored: I on the other hand, had to use my paper route money sparingly.

As an aside, I picked a NM hulk 181 off the wall in my first back issue store for about $5 for x-mas one year as a little tyke enamored by this cover for whatever reason.

Does that count?

cost13.gif

IMG_1573.jpg

lol

Nice haul there RMA,

Just curious, did you buy 10 copies of every issue and that just happened to be the winner? Or did you buy 10 of that particular issue at the time? I always seemed to gravitate to multiples of the 1st issue phenomenon, or horrible characters in retrospect (think 3-d man or torpedo)... and that was assuming I could afford more than one.

You were probably one of those spoiled kids that got to go on a comic store binge once a week. :censored: I on the other hand, had to use my paper route money sparingly.

As an aside, I picked a NM hulk 181 off the wall in my first back issue store for about $5 for x-mas one year as a little tyke enamored by this cover for whatever reason.

I didn't know you were a hoarder RMA :insane:

ASM #300, ASM #129 off the stands- ended up in 9.9 and 9.6 slabs. but where's burntboy to put us all to shame- think he spent a thin dime on an FF #1, etc.

Never heard of burntboy's story before, would love to hear that one.

I guess my "big one" would be a FC #178 Christmas on bear muontain. (first app. of Uncle Scrooge) VF that I found listed on ebay back in 2004. The book was not in the comics section. I ended up getting it for $175 Sadly, I had to sell it. I only got $515 for it but, that's still a good profit. The demand for the book escalated in 2005

ASM #300, ASM #129 off the stands- ended up in 9.9 and 9.6 slabs. but where's burntboy to put us all to shame- think he spent a thin dime on an FF #1, etc.

Me too.

it is his original owner collection...sid luncheonette, or something like that?

Does that count?

cost13.gif

IMG_1573.jpg

lol

Nice haul there RMA,

I bought 15 copies of every issue of New Mutants from #93 to #100. I was hoping that, like the McFarlane Amazings, which I missed, lightning would strike twice.

And it did.

Sorta kinda.

;)

I ended up trading for some good stuff while they were hot, but I kept the vast majority of them (the run, that is.)

Deadpool was a nothing character when he came out (Dec 1990), and it wasn't until his first mini, by Joe Mad in 1993, that he first got popular and #98 sold for $20 or so. At that time, I made it a point to buy more as I encountered them, and ended up with this hoard:

IMG_1173.jpg

...from whence the 9.8s (with more to come) originated.

I didn't start collecting comics until I was 17. I didn't really start collecting until almost 18. I never read comics as a kid, and the sole and only comic I remember in any way from my childhood is Rom #47.

I had graduated high school and was working when NM #98 came out.

It's 1970 and I'm 12. I walk into the local smokeshop, hunt through the used comics and find a Tales to Astonish #16 for a nickel.

This is why I will collect forever.

Does that count?

cost13.gif

IMG_1573.jpg

lol

Nice haul there RMA,

I bought 15 copies of every issue of New Mutants from #93 to #100. I was hoping that, like the McFarlane Amazings, which I missed, lightning would strike twice.

And it did.

Sorta kinda.

;)

I ended up trading for some good stuff while they were hot, but I kept the vast majority of them (the run, that is.)

Deadpool was a nothing character when he came out (Dec 1990), and it wasn't until his first mini, by Joe Mad in 1993, that he first got popular and #98 sold for $20 or so. At that time, I made it a point to buy more as I encountered them, and ended up with this hoard:

IMG_1173.jpg

...from whence the 9.8s (with more to come) originated.

I didn't start collecting comics until I was 17. I didn't really start collecting until almost 18. I never read comics as a kid, and the sole and only comic I remember in any way from my childhood is Rom #47.

I had graduated high school and was working when NM #98 came out.

I wish I had that many NM #98 (worship)