• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In all your years of collecting, have you ever “hit the big one”?

188 posts in this topic

On the comic book front, I managed to get an amazing Wonder Comics #13 raw at a local antique auction a number of years ago for I think about $400. When I submitted it to CGC, I was blown away to have it come back with this grade...

WONDER20COMICS2013209.82.jpg

Thread over! (worship)

:o

Now that is a truly amazing find. (worship)

DRX

I bought about 20 35 cent variants in high grade from a store in Gatlin, Tennessee in June, 2004, on the way down to Bonnaroo.

Paid strict 2004 Overstreet prices for them. I love stupid stores. Sales of those 20 books paid for my entire trip.

On the comic book front, I managed to get an amazing Wonder Comics #13 raw at a local antique auction a number of years ago for I think about $400. When I submitted it to CGC, I was blown away to have it come back with this grade...

Thread over! (worship)

No.

When Telerites stops by with his 9.8 TMNT # 1 bought new off the racks, then it's thread over.

But yeah, that Wonder comics? Real nice

Two years ago, I picked up 600 SA Marvel & DC books from an OO collection for around $4 each. Average grade was probably 6.0 That find got me back into collecting comics, and that collection is what brought me here to the boards to learn about grading and pricing.

Some other nice finds online include a Seven Seas 4 and The Saint 1 for $100. The SS 4 came back a 5.0 Both books have since been sold.

I guess the last nice find was in Chicago lat year when I picked up a raw Brick Bradford 6. I paid FMV for what the dealer called a 9.2 It came back from CGC as a 9.6 OW/W pages, making it the highest in the census, and easily worth at least 2x what I paid for it.

Back in the mid 1990's I picked up about 4 long boxes of Mass books, averaging about 60% of guide. I also picked up a small DC OO collection of Silver for 60% of guide. These books were purchased in DC Paks and were incredibly high grade.

In general, I've had good luck on the purchasing side, however, I suck at selling and I seem to habitually sell too cheap.

My biggest profit was a raw Batman 181, from the OO collection mentioned above,

that slabbed at 9.4 White. I paid about 40.00 for it and I sold it on E-Bay for 1,000 . A nice gain but I should have gotten about 2,000 for it.

Thread over! (worship)

taxguy wins.

That's sick.

Thread over! (worship)

No.

When Telerites stops by with his 9.8 TMNT # 1 bought new off the racks, then it's thread over.

But yeah, that Wonder comics? Real nice

Thanks everyone. Some interesting backdrop to that one... there were a number of highly prized Gold and Atom age books in that auction (I specifically recall a beat-up Suspense #3 that I stupidly didn't go after because it didn't meet my "condition" criteria at the time). The story I got from the auctioneer though was that the books had come out of a storage container that the renter had failed to make payments on and had apparently been abandoned. The owner of the facility received a court order allowing him to open the container and sell the contents to get his back rent. He consigned the books to the auction house that I happened to get lucky at. I won a number of nice books that day (another was a real pretty NM Shock Suspenstories #12 -- the famous drug cover) but it wasn't all roses. I also bought, for about $800, what I thought was a gorgeous NM Tomb of Terror #15 (the exploding face cover)... sent that one into CGC with the Wonder Comic... unfortunately that one came back trimmed!

In all your years of collecting, have you ever “hit the big one”?

Once, but I was drunk, and it was closing time. One thing lead to another, and...

I really don't want to talk about it. :eek:

I bought about 20 35 cent variants in high grade from a store in Gatlin, Tennessee in June, 2004, on the way down to Bonnaroo.

Paid strict 2004 Overstreet prices for them. I love stupid stores. Sales of those 20 books paid for my entire trip.

I bought over 40 from an LCS here in Central Florida a couple of years ago. I can only imagine that someone moved to the area from one of the target areas and brought their collection along.

The average grade was around Fine, I bought them all for strict guide also plus a 10% discount. I payed $80 for the IF #14 and sold it that night for $800. In fact all of them sold for about 10X what I paid for them.

Thread over! (worship)

taxguy wins.

Nah, my vote goes to Burntboy. Purchased off the rack copies of Showcase #4 and all the Marvel keys from '61-'64.

Well... I've been into walking dead since it came out ... finally got this one graded

IMG_3237.jpg

I don't really consider it hitting the jack pot or anything though since I'll never sell it & its not like I knew the book was going to worth anything when I brought it at the lcs :D

I also picked this one up some place... maybe at a garagesale at some point I have no clue where I got it from... early days of my collection

IMG_3236.jpg

& to my surprise it came back a 9.8 & its just been sitting in with my regular collection all this time

<--Consider my self to be very lucky with that!

Not really sure if this qualifies as a big one compared to the rest of what I see here.

Back in the 80's my mother and dad picked me up a few hundred late 40's to mid-50's comics for around $75 if I remember correctly. My neighbors aunt was having a farm auction and dad used to always go to those auctions so when he saw the comics he bought all but one or two boxes of what was there. My neighbor later told me that if she had known I was still into comics she would have pulled them all before the auction and I could have had them all and I think she meant for free :( .

They were mostly Archies and other non-superhero types. I remember getting some Pogo the Possum DC issues and thinking "DC made comics that weren't superheroes?".

The ones that got away: In the early 70's when I was pretty young, my mom, being an avid reader, always went to a local flea market about once a week or so. Inside this building the lady had a table full of comics for 10 cents each. (This was an age before most flea markets knew that there were collectors and they treated comics the same way as old newspapers and magazines). They would have been from the golden age up to the late 60's and nothing newer. I was never able to buy more then a couple or so and of course back then I was more interested in Looney Tune or Walt Disney comics then I was in the superhero titles.

Of course that is not as bad as in my parent's first garage sale in 1969 when we sold my older brothers 1961 first issue of Spiderman?? (arrgh I cannot remember the title) or whatever was issue number 1 that year along with the rest of our comics for either a nickel or dime each. I was too young to realize what was happening and by the time I got into collecting a year or two later I really regretted not telling my mom I wanted to keep those comics.

I still dream of finding the old comics at garage sales and will never give up looking.