• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

In all your years of collecting, have you ever “hit the big one”?

188 posts in this topic

Not much on my end. I purchased a Filmation's Ghost Busters headquarters complete with box for $5 at a comic store and resold it for around $400. I unknowingly pursued a multi million dollar comic book collection when I was younger.

i have a ghostbusters headquarters up in the attic from when i was a kid. it's pretty beat up now though, wonder if its that one.

as for me...nothing too significant. got an FF Annual #5 in bout VF condition for 3 bucks at flea market years ago.

Actually yes. One time I was at a bar drinking with these two smokin hot girls and they asked me to go back to my house. We finally got to my house and it was everything I have ever dreamed about. :cloud9:

They both took off their.......oops you mean collectibles. doh!

sorry

Of course that is not as bad as in my parent's first garage sale in 1969 when we sold my older brothers 1961 first issue of Spiderman?? (arrgh I cannot remember the title) or whatever was issue number 1 that year

FYI Amazing Fantasy #15 is dated August 1962 and Amazing Spider-Man #1 is dated March 1963. The only big #1 from Marvel that came out that year is Fantastic Four #1 which is dated November 1961.

On the comic book front, I managed to get an amazing Wonder Comics #13 raw at a local antique auction a number of years ago for I think about $400. When I submitted it to CGC, I was blown away to have it come back with this grade...

WONDER20COMICS2013209.82.jpg

Thread over! (worship)

No.

When Telerites stops by with his 9.8 TMNT # 1 bought new off the racks, then it's thread over.

But yeah, that Wonder comics? Real nice

Thanks everyone. Some interesting backdrop to that one... there were a number of highly prized Gold and Atom age books in that auction (I specifically recall a beat-up Suspense #3 that I stupidly didn't go after because it didn't meet my "condition" criteria at the time). The story I got from the auctioneer though was that the books had come out of a storage container that the renter had failed to make payments on and had apparently been abandoned. The owner of the facility received a court order allowing him to open the container and sell the contents to get his back rent. He consigned the books to the auction house that I happened to get lucky at. I won a number of nice books that day (another was a real pretty NM Shock Suspenstories #12 -- the famous drug cover) but it wasn't all roses. I also bought, for about $800, what I thought was a gorgeous NM Tomb of Terror #15 (the exploding face cover)... sent that one into CGC with the Wonder Comic... unfortunately that one came back trimmed!

This is a sick sick comic. 9.8 :cloud9:

With my very first full-time paycheck from a summer job in 1996 I bought 70 issues of Marvel Star Wars comics in 9.4/9.6 for $1.20 a piece. Instant collection!

Still have them. No idea what they'd bring today. But it was one of my favorite purchases ever.

Probably the biggest deal I ever made was not for comics, I was calling around some of the local auction houses looking for comics and magazines. This one guy says, I have a pallet full of magazines you can have for $100. So I take my trusty little S-10 pickup and go see what he has. Turns out it was all adult magazines from the 30's all the way up to the early 70's, a full pickup load. At first I wasn't sure whether to take them, but he noticed one of the guys had sold the full run of Playboy's starting with #1, so he let me have it all for $60.

I sold almost all of it on ebay for around 6k, except for a few select items I still have. :insane:

The only comic deal I ever really got was a Amazing Spider-man #10 that I bought from a moving sale for $7, it graded out 6.5, not a super deal, but it was not bad either. (shrug)

Actually yes. One time I was at a bar drinking with these two smokin hot girls and they asked me to go back to my house. We finally got to my house and it was everything I have ever dreamed about. :cloud9:

sorry

Did they give you the "Good Guy Price"?

sorry

Does anyone else besides me think cigarettes when he says they were smokin'?

sorry

Or crack.

sorry

Or crack.

or pole. :o:insane:

sorry

Or crack.

And both of them were "the big one". :ohnoez:

sorry

Or crack.

And both of them were "the big one". :ohnoez:

Ok, admittedly, "the big one" may not have been the best choice of words. lol

2 stories come to mind.

I was out of town at a comic show, Dad calls says he bought me some comics. Of course I thought he got screwed. He said he heard a guy in a neighborhood was selling paper grocery bags full of comics to kids for $5.00. So he went over and bought all he had left for 100.00.

So got home started looking through them. A huge amount of Archie's and related comics. Then started seeing some Silver age books. Sgt. Fury 13, Amazing Spider-man 18, 15, 14, 12, 9............

In between a Betty and Veronica and a Jughead there it was; Amazing Spider-man #1. Nice VG+ copy.

Ended up with 6 long boxes of Archie's and 4 long boxes of Silver.

All for 100.00

Really hate to think what was already gone by the time my Dad got there.........