• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who Have YOU Met?

83 posts in this topic

Most of the comic people I have met at cons. My favs have been:

Romita Sr. - Had a choice between him and Jr. Stayed in the Sr line and got a quick little sketch out of it.

Rags Morales - Real nice guy made me feel happy to be around him

Brad Meltzer - Signed at a shop in Bethesda when Identity Crisis was released. He even commented on how in his next book the character was going to be a Wes.

Jerry Carr - Local artist but super nice guy and actually remembers me when I stop by.

I sort of met Colin Powel back in the Desert Storm days. My Dad and I used to ride our bikes from our house down to National Airport and then up through Ft. Myers. We stopped for a little break when we got in the base and a little bit away was Gen. Powell on a jog. We waved and he waved back. When I got home I pulled out his Desert Storm card and wrote a letter to him and asked him to sign it. He sent it back signed and with a letter on Joint Chief of Staff letterhead. Not comic related but kind of collector related.

Who have you met related to the comic/movie industry? It can be anyone :D

I've met Brian Michael Bendis, Stan Lee, Steve Sadowski (pencilled Avengers/Invaders).

Sarah McLaughlan used to be my neighbour :)

Do you mean Sarah McLachlan the singer? If so that is awesome.

Yup, that one. I moved, but she is still within walking distance. :) I've seen her around West Vancouver as well. No one really bothers her.

Oh, I also met Lou Ferrigno. I asked him for a pic with him and all he could say was, "photo ops are 30 dollars". doh! Although I could swear the guy before me got a free pic... :frustrated:

Oh, I also met Lou Ferrigno. I asked him for a pic with him and all he could say was, "photo ops are 30 dollars". doh! Although I could swear the guy before me got a free pic... :frustrated:

Legend has it that if you get more than three comic collectors in a room with an empty table, close your eyes and count to ten, Lou Ferrigno will appear, selling autographs and photos.

I've seen DocWatson and r1970d at the same dinner table with qualitycomix and dicex. True story. I win.

I want proof.

I managed a bar in the historic district of Savannah, GA, and over the years I met a few celebrities who were either filming close by, or just there to party.

Greg Kinnear - Very nice guy. Quite personable and willing to chat. He was in the crowd watching the Superbowl.

John Cusack - Total person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed, which disappointed me. I made the mistake of saying that "Better Off Dead" was one of my favorite movies of all time. I didn't know at the time that he detests that movie, but he didn't have to be a about it.

Clint Eastwood - He was in town working on a movie, and I saw him at a local gym. He was totally down to earth and very friendly...I even spotted him at one point. It's nice to be able to say that I've spotted Dirty Harry. :)

Jamie Foxx - A complete jerk. This was back in the late 90's when his star was rising, and he was very full of himself. He made very unreasonable demands of my waitstaff, and said more than once "Do you know who I am?!". He also didn't tip worth a damn.

Brett Favre - This was so funny to me. At the time when he showed up at my bar, he was under accusations of drug abuse, which he publicly denied vociferously. That night he did coke, rolled, and drank copious amounts of top-shelf liquor. He paid the owner to shut down the third floor to everyone but the people in his entourage, and was doing rails off the pool table's sides.

Keanu Reeves - One of my bartenders waved me over to her side, and said "I think that's Keanu Reeves!". This is just after 'The Matrix' hit it big, so I eyeballed the guy. He was very scruffy-looking, with a week-old beard, in dire need of a haircut, and a trucker hat. He was chilling by himself on a barstool, just watching the big-screen. I sidle next to him and say, "Sir, may I see your ID? We've had problems with under-age drinkers lately." He promptly whips out his CA driver's license, and sure enough, it's Keanu. I give him back his ID and tell him that I'm the manager, and that if anyone bothers him, to please come tell me. I offer my hand for a handshake, and say "Hi, I'm Beau." He then offers his hand and says "Awesome, my name's Keanu.". I'm thinking to myself that dude, I know your name, I just looked at your ID. We talked for a while, and I can say that Keanu Reeves is every bit as air-headed as the tabloids make him out to be, but he's a genuinely nice guy.

I managed a bar in the historic district of Savannah, GA, and over the years I met a few celebrities who were either filming close by, or just there to party.

Greg Kinnear - Very nice guy. Quite personable and willing to chat. He was in the crowd watching the Superbowl.

John Cusack - Total person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed, which disappointed me. I made the mistake of saying that "Better Off Dead" was one of my favorite movies of all time. I didn't know at the time that he detests that movie, but he didn't have to be a about it.

Clint Eastwood - He was in town working on a movie, and I saw him at a local gym. He was totally down to earth and very friendly...I even spotted him at one point. It's nice to be able to say that I've spotted Dirty Harry. :)

Jamie Foxx - A complete jerk. This was back in the late 90's when his star was rising, and he was very full of himself. He made very unreasonable demands of my waitstaff, and said more than once "Do you know who I am?!". He also didn't tip worth a damn.

Brett Favre - This was so funny to me. At the time when he showed up at my bar, he was under accusations of drug abuse, which he publicly denied vociferously. That night he did coke, rolled, and drank copious amounts of top-shelf liquor. He paid the owner to shut down the third floor to everyone but the people in his entourage, and was doing rails off the pool table's sides.

Keanu Reeves - One of my bartenders waved me over to her side, and said "I think that's Keanu Reeves!". This is just after 'The Matrix' hit it big, so I eyeballed the guy. He was very scruffy-looking, with a week-old beard, in dire need of a haircut, and a trucker hat. He was chilling by himself on a barstool, just watching the big-screen. I sidle next to him and say, "Sir, may I see your ID? We've had problems with under-age drinkers lately." He promptly whips out his CA driver's license, and sure enough, it's Keanu. I give him back his ID and tell him that I'm the manager, and that if anyone bothers him, to please come tell me. I offer my hand for a handshake, and say "Hi, I'm Beau." He then offers his hand and says "Awesome, my name's Keanu.". I'm thinking to myself that dude, I know your name, I just looked at your ID. We talked for a while, and I can say that Keanu Reeves is every bit as air-headed as the tabloids make him out to be, but he's a genuinely nice guy.

I'm really sad about Cusack being a tool. Really, really sad. :(

But awww Keanu! How cute! I want to just give him a hug and go 'Woah'! :cloud9:

He really is a teddy-bear and approachable. When I told him to alert me if anyone bothered him, he said "No way man, I love my fans. I'm one of you guys that got lucky.".

He really is a teddy-bear and approachable. When I told him to alert me if anyone bothered him, he said "No way man, I love my fans. I'm one of you guys that got lucky.".

:cloud9::luhv: <3

I've seen DocWatson and r1970d at the same dinner table with qualitycomix and dicex. True story. I win.

I've meet Lighthouse at a Live Oak show and saw the seven eighths of his Hulk #1 in PERSON!

Bet that suckassss :whee:

One of the nicest guys I've met is Mark Schultz of Xenozoic Tales fame. He was quite friendly, chatted for a bit and did a nice signature on the inside front cover of my Death Rattle # 8

Agreed.

I was working at Dollar Rent-a-car and I was the dispatch, crew chief for the drivers picking up people in the airport.

Jamie is from Terrell, Texas I get a radio call from one of my drivers and he says he's got Jamie there and he's about to miss his flight (way before 9-11 when you could catch a flight in 10 minutes) so he was leaving the car in the terminal. Not in a parking space mind you but actually IN the terminal in front of the Sky-cap right there in the drop off lane.

I tell the driver to inform him that we're going to charge him a "pick-up" fee of $350 and he was fine with it. I immediately hope on the next shuttle with a portable radio in hand and ride out to get the car.

It was completely trashed on the inside. There was fast food everywhere. Cigarette butts all over the thing. Spilled drinks, etc.

The driver that talked to him was all excited that he had got to talk to him and got him to sign a piece of paper. When he got back to the lot I said, "Fine, you clean the car!"