• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you collect??? Whats the method to your madness?

22 posts in this topic

Hello,

To all collectors out there. Whats your method in collecting comics.

Usually, my method is to go thru my collection and pull some high grade books which may or may not hit 9.8. To be reassured I will aready have a high grade book, I then go buy a 9.8 slabbed book and then get the high grade book of the same title and number from my own collection and have it slabbed. When I comes back, if its less than the 9.8 which I already have purchased slabbed, I will sell it. If it comes back 9.8 then I sell one of the two 9;.8s I then have. My madness seems to work for me only cause I start out with the 9.8 book which I purchased right from the start and then work backwards. I dont collect runs. I just go for cool looking covers and some keys if the cover art looks great.

What methods do each of you guys use. I other words, what works best for you in accomplishing a nice collection?

ditto, no method. there's very little i don't collect comic-wise so long as it is vintage (and I buy plenty of new stuff too, but there's plenty I don't bother with). price usually controls because the hunt for a "deal" is half the game for me. but then again, i'll sometimes buy undergrounds and pulps when I have absolutely no idea what they are "worth" because I think they're cool. filling in a run would be nice, but i don't actually have a list of my books. i don't even have them organized yet.

If I see it, and like it, and can afford it.... I buy it...

Sometimes, if I see it, and I like it, and I can't afford it... I ask for time payments :sorry:

I used to have no method... for years... then next thing I knew I had 60 long boxes of books.. too many doubles, triples, and octadruples to count...

Being how Im not a dealer that method was useless... so in the past 6 month's I've sold 90% of them and the other 10% will be sold over the next couple month's....

There was some good to come out of being a hoarder as I had Multiple copies of major keys (50 JIM #85's and 20 Showcase #22's for example... all have been sold, so dont ask) but I'd have traded all of them for one HG copy of each... and man it's a lot easier to store.

I now collect only high grade copies of the 15 titles I collect... and I keep it strict on the 15 titles.... this hobbies too expensive to be spread so thin.... I've had most of the 1950 and ups already... now it may take me 15 years to complete HG runs of these 15 titles... but at least there's some focus now....

My focus has now been forced upon me and it feels refreshing. Just Batman and 'Tec. Grades of CGC books will depend on the Age the book comes from, raw stuff I'm a little more lenient.

So, there is not much method to our madness. Just madness!!! Im with ya. About 100 long boxes that I believe its time now to narrow down and focus. Just too much weight in books. Whats a full long comic box weigh in at as an estimate. 25 pounds maybe. I have no clue.

Bagged and boarded?

About 50lbs. (thumbs u

I break my buying down into two categories, readers and collectables. Readers are any runs I want to read and can get cheap. For example this year I bought a cheap Conan #1-30 run to read, tons of cheap ducks etc. For the collectable part of my collection I stick to a few core runs/themes. For example I collect in this order Silver Streak, Fox GGA ,non Timely War covers, Classic covers 1k and under for VG or better. I try to keep the majority of my collecting budget within these guidlines.

Bruce

When i was a kid, i collected comics in what i call the "BEST AGE OF COMICS"

This period is from the 80's to the late 90's. So, it is my goal to collect as many of them slabbed as i can. I'm also obsessed with sigs, so the second part of my goal is to get issues signed by someone of relevance to the issue.

I purchase current issues based on events, characters, & artists. I read most of my stories as collected volumes.

I buy my regular monthly modern issues + an occasional new issue that is recommended or that catches my eye. I also buy some older back issues of titles that I like. I only buy comics that I am going to read, my collection is 100% for reading. I also buy a few Archie digest every week.

So, there is not much method to our madness. Just madness!!! Im with ya. About 100 long boxes that I believe its time now to narrow down and focus. Just too much weight in books. Whats a full long comic box weigh in at as an estimate. 25 pounds maybe. I have no clue.

Bagged and boarded?

About 50lbs. (thumbs u

25 long boxes - backed and boarded + jam packed: you got e few ton there

No method here: If I got a have it - I got a have it.

Its pure 'con amore' :eek:

Actually a little disturbing now that I think about it. Its a kick I need to have. Its an itch I need to scratch. A thirst thats demand quenchin' ... (shrug)

I used to collect anything and everything; sampling anything that looked interesting. Now, I've been selling off anything I don't want (about 2/3rds done by volume, 90% done by value).

My current collecting method is to target specific sets to complete (Neal Adams Batman, SA Captain America appearances, etc.).