• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old photos with comics

122 posts in this topic

And here's a pic of my dad reading one in the early '50's in his marine barracks. I was on the lookout for a copy of that comic and found one last year. I plan on getting a print of this pic and the comic matted/framed to give to him. He's 80 now, still smokes, and collects comics.

dad.jpg

A pic from Father's Day:

dad2010.jpg

(worship) (worship)

This is too cool :applause:

I like that bottom one.

Here's my version which should be updated as I found the middle Hand of Fate book in May -

93649.jpg

Hey .....Iggy's dad was reading an issue of that first one, Mr. District Attorney !! :o I thought that stuff was supposed to rot your brain ?? Looks like he turned out ok to me :grin:

And here's a pic of my dad reading one in the early '50's in his marine barracks. I was on the lookout for a copy of that comic and found one last year. I plan on getting a print of this pic and the comic matted/framed to give to him. He's 80 now, still smokes, and collects comics.

dad.jpg

A pic from Father's Day:

dad2010.jpg

(worship) (worship)

(worship) (worship) (worship) (worship) (worship)

(worship)

(worship)

(worship) (worship) (worship)

(worship) (worship) (worship)

(worship)

(worship)

(worship)(worship)

(worship)(worship)

(worship)(worship)

(worship)(worship)

(worship)

(worship)

(worship)

(worship)

(worship)

(worship)

(worship)

(worship)

Was going to spell out "EPIC" in graemlins but I'm failing at it miserably. Nice pics btw!

Theres probably a graemlin usage in a single post limit anyways. You don't want someone to nofify the mods do you :baiting:

dad.jpg

A pic from Father's Day:

dad2010.jpg

(worship) (worship)

Yes, very cool indeed!!!!

No picture of me in this one, but this is the bulk of my comic collection circa 1983.

This is a transitional era for my collection. It was after a lot of my (low-grade) early Marvels were stolen by a loved-one for drug money :( but before I started picking up some fairly decent golden age superhero books.

originalcomiccollection.jpg

I have identified all of the superhero books that can be seen in full, but none of them that are cut off at the edges. Any help would be appreciated :foryou:

btw, the More Fun #115 is the Church/Mile High copy (that I bought from an auction held by Chuck Rozanski). I sold it to The Great Escape in Cincinnati in 1992 and (what is it with my comics getting stolen?) they called me the next day asking for a listing and photos of the comics I had sold them because it had been stolen. Anyway - - I have tried to find that Edgar Church More Fun #115 to no avail and my guess is that the current owner has no idea that its a Mile High book. I think I have a b&w photocopy of the cover that could help id it some day.

I like that bottom one.

Here's my version which should be updated as I found the middle Hand of Fate book in May -

93649.jpg

Hey .....Iggy's dad was reading an issue of that first one, Mr. District Attorney !! :o I thought that stuff was supposed to rot your brain ?? Looks like he turned out ok to me :grin:

Dad used to tell me his comic collecting stories all the time. He mentioned his mom didn't approve of comics. He bought comics with money he made from his fertile hen and the eggs she produced. His was the only hen producing eggs so frequently back then. He said he probably had or had seen Action #1, traded with his cousins, and his collection was destroyed when his brother forgot to close the barn's loft door during a heavy storm. I believe his favorites were WDC&S Barks, since he has a complete collection (regular issues) of them now #1 to current. He's incomplete on Donald & Scrooge collections though and has slowed way down in collecting. He still upgrades when he can, but is price resistant on what he likes to pay for back issues. Funny how he'll pay $8-9 on the currents though. lol

No picture of me in this one, but this is the bulk of my comic collection circa 1983.

This is a transitional era for my collection. It was after a lot of my (low-grade) early Marvels were stolen by a loved-one for drug money :( but before I started picking up some fairly decent golden age superhero books.

I have identified all of the superhero books that can be seen in full, but none of them that are cut off at the edges. Any help would be appreciated :foryou:

btw, the More Fun #115 is the Church/Mile High copy (that I bought from an auction held by Chuck Rozanski). I sold it to The Great Escape in Cincinnati in 1992 and (what is it with my comics getting stolen?) they called me the next day asking for a listing and photos of the comics I had sold them because it had been stolen. Anyway - - I have tried to find that Edgar Church More Fun #115 to no avail and my guess is that the current owner has no idea that its a Mile High book. I think I have a b&w photocopy of the cover that could help id it some day.

Great pic! I bet you got a great deal on that Church More Fun back in the day! Interesting to know there is an unidentified copy of it out there somewhere (hopefully). Wonder what condition it's in currently...

Great pic GJohn. I love the variety and range of the comics on display. That's my kind of collecting.

Could you point out the ones you are trying to ID: Row and Edge so we can help you?

I recognize that D. Duck in the center with the black cover and he's holding an umbrella ...... from somewhere hm

Great pic GJohn. I love the variety and range of the comics on display. That's my kind of collecting.

Could you point out the ones you are trying to ID: Row and Edge so we can help you?

It's really the top row that I'm not sure how many of these are superhero comics. I have figured out that the 6th from the left is Adventure #229 and the one just to the right of it is Adventure #236. I'm just not sure what the one to the right of the #229 and the two to the left of the #236 are. They might be superhero books.

There are some other non-hero books that should be fairly easy for me to ID once I take the time with my Photojournal books (like a Lassie comic 2nd from left on the top row).

I would take any suggestions on the comics on the top row.

Thanks!

A lot of photos are blocked on my work computer, so I'm just seeing some of these images for the first time. Iggy, those pictures of your dad are absolutely priceless! (worship)

Scrooge,

Thanks so much for your help thus far.

While my wife has been toiling away in the garden all morning, I have been typing these up into a key.

Here is the original photo:

And here is the Key:

OriginalCollectionKey.jpg

Any help filling in remaining blanks would be greatly appreciated (I haven't yet entered in the Animal Antics).

dad.jpg

A pic from Father's Day:

dad2010.jpg

What was his reaction to the comic when you gave it to him ? :) Did he remember it or did he have to see the photo first haha! Have you got the two pictures framed side by side yet ?