• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old photos with comics

122 posts in this topic

And here's a pic of my dad reading one in the early '50's in his marine barracks. I was on the lookout for a copy of that comic and found one last year. I plan on getting a print of this pic and the comic matted/framed to give to him. He's 80 now, still smokes, and collects comics.

dad.jpg

A pic from Father's Day:

dad2010.jpg

My vote for best post ever (thumbs u

And here's a pic of my dad reading one in the early '50's in his marine barracks. I was on the lookout for a copy of that comic and found one last year. I plan on getting a print of this pic and the comic matted/framed to give to him. He's 80 now, still smokes, and collects comics.

dad.jpg

A pic from Father's Day:

dad2010.jpg

that is really cool! (thumbs u

Great Pics everyone! Reminds me of walking to the 7-11 in the late seventies, buying a Big Gulp, a comic book, and still having change from a $1.00. Good times!!!!

it was always a slurpee for me at the 7-11.

:cloud9:

coke slurpee (thumbs u

dad.jpg

A pic from Father's Day:

dad2010.jpg

that is really cool! (thumbs u

Love it ! Great job

Found an old photo of me in the mid 1970s just chillin' with my favorites hanging on the wall.

Framedcomics.jpg

Talk about a picture that screams "Mid-70s". Wow.

Found an old photo of me in the mid 1970s just chillin' with my favorites hanging on the wall.

Framedcomics.jpg

What are those in that frame ? Mystery in Space and Strange Adventures ? Are they whole issues ?

Framedcomics.jpg

What are those in that frame ? Mystery in Space and Strange Adventures ? Are they whole issues ?

Kid Colt asked if I still have those records. Yes, I have those and have added several thousand more since this picture was taken. I love vinyl and still have the first record I bought in the late 50s if my memory serves me. Record collecting is about as addicting as original art and comic collecting. I have tried for many years to get every #1 45 with original picture sleeve from 1955 (Rock Around the Clock) to 1985 (We Are the World). I think I'm missing about 10. Those picture sleeves are hard to get, especially from the 50s.

As for the comics in the frame I have those as well. They are whole issues of Mystery in Space #2 and #90. Strange Adventures #2 and Showcase #17. I took them out of the frame years ago, but for a while I loved sitting on that ugly green couch and looking at them. The art for the cover to #90 sold a few years ago at SDCC at Joe and Nadia's booth. It was a pleasure just to see it existed.

Iggy- Those pictures of your dad reading that comic are just awesome. Thanks for posting.

dad.jpg

A pic from Father's Day:

dad2010.jpg

(worship) (worship)

Saw these 2 on Corbis.

Love them both .. especially the EC covers ...

Those 2 kids have good taste..I wonder what else is in that stack ?????

comics1-1.jpg[/img]

"Politicians Observing and Discussing Display of Comic Books

Original caption: Assemblyman James A. Fitzpatrick, (L) of Plattsburg, New York, Chairman of the New York State Joint Legislative Committee to study the "publication of comics," and Senator Robert C. Hendrickson of New Jersey, ®, the Chairman of the Senate Juvenile Delinquency Subcommittee, study a display here, of horror comics books. Union printers in New York will be asked not to print horror and sex comic books by the subcommittee. The announcement was made after a witness at the hearings in the Federal Court House testified that newsdealers are threatened with "retribution" when they decline to handle horror comic books on grounds that they're detrimental to juvenile morals. Fitzpatrick, a witness at the meeting said, the guarantees of the freedom of the press are being used "as a license for irresponsible publishers to contaminate the minds and morals of children" (also from Corbis)

comics2.jpg[/img]