• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone ever sell to mycomicshop.com?

130 posts in this topic

Anyone know if consigning through comic connect they give you decent grades for your books?

If you are already paying Matt to grade your books, why not sell them thru him?

I sent it lots of books Matt Nelson had pregraded at 9.2 and 9.4 and they came back as VF or VF+, rarely got even a VF/NM. A VF/NM could be like a 9.6 cgc standards or totally not.

So as a test I sent in a book Matt had pre graded at 9.8 and it came back Fine! It had a big miswrap on it, but CGC doesn't count of for that

Well I was very frustrated with my comicshop for seeming to downgrade everything by at least 1 full grade on average.

I'm not really sure why they do this, I think they under grade books from consignors to increase their reputation with buyers, who then overpay for the books mycomicshop owns because they think mcs is a super strict grader.

then again, if you have CGC'd books they give you a good price

tag line: said by a dealer: "if I'm buying, its an 8.0, if I'm selling its a 9.2" :)

I've sent many books for Matt to pregrade, and he's usually spot on for me. (shrug)

Unlike CGC, My Comic Shop clearly explains how it grades, and what defects it deducts for. Perhaps Matt is in tune with what CGC would grade a book, but that doesn't mean other dealers agree with it.

A case in point- My Avengers 1. Nice book but some kid wrote the names of his pals over the heads of the various characters. So much writing on a cover gets a 2.0 in my book. MCS called it a 3.0 but suggested it be sent to CGc because they are more forgiving of writing on covers. CGC gave it a 4.0. Ugliest 4.0 I've ever seen,

Take the time to read MCS grading criteria. I don't agree with some of it, but I know not to send books with certain defects as they hammer those. Miswraps are one of the things they hammer a book for.

From the time they check the books in, until the time they cut the check is usually ten days or so, give or take a few. CGC books are obviously faster.

What i like is you can follow the whole process on-line. It tells you when the books are recieved, when they are being graded, their grade is compared to your grade and if different you get an explanation.- tear on page 22, bottom staple rusty, moisture damage to BC, ect, ect. If you accept their offer, check goes out in a day or so. I got a check yesterday from a book that sold on consignment July 8th.Still waiting on payment from a June auction on another site.

Unlike CGC, My Comic Shop clearly explains how it grades, and what defects it deducts for. Perhaps Matt is in tune with what CGC would grade a book, but that doesn't mean other dealers agree with it.

A case in point- My Avengers 1. Nice book but some kid wrote the names of his pals over the heads of the various characters. So much writing on a cover gets a 2.0 in my book. MCS called it a 3.0 but suggested it be sent to CGc because they are more forgiving of writing on covers. CGC gave it a 4.0. Ugliest 4.0 I've ever seen,

Take the time to read MCS grading criteria. I don't agree with some of it, but I know not to send books with certain defects as they hammer those. Miswraps are one of the things they hammer a book for.

We recently reviewed and updated the page with info about our grading, primarily based on the Overstreet standards. Shadroch (and anybody else), please feel free to PM me if you think there's anything that in your experience dealing with us we might want to add or review on that page.

I track the books we submit to CGC for grading, and on average they come back from CGC graded 0.5 higher than the grade we gave them as raw books. 80% of the books we submit to CGC come back either at the same ten point grade we assigned, 0.5 higher, or 1.0 higher. The remaining 20% is about evenly split between books CGC graded 0.5 lower than we did, and books CGC graded 1.5 higher than we did.

In the time that I've been tracking, we haven't had anything come back from CGC graded more than 0.5 lower than our grade, and only one book that came back graded more than 1.5 higher than we did--an All Star #12 (Golden Age book) that we graded 4.5 that CGC graded 7.5.

That breakdown applies to our ten-point graded books, which are individually bagged, boarded, and scanned. Usually everything pre-1980 or priced $10 or more get that treatment. We get very few complaints about grading on the ten-point graded books. When a buyer isn't happy with a grade, it's more likely to involve a cheaper modern book graded NM or VF than one of our ten-point graded books. We are also proud of our grading on the cheaper books, but there will be more variation with those due to both the broader grade categories and the fact that those books aren't individually bagged and boarded.

red rocks,

Every book that we buy is posted for sale at the same grade we assigned when buying it. We never buy a book at one grade and then list it for sale at a higher grade. Anyone can verify this for themselves by watching our New In Stock page after they sell us books and we get the books recorded. From your previous comments, I wasn't sure if you were concerned that we were trying to buy your books at one grade and sell them at a higher grade. We do not do that, period.

Sellers who feel we've graded their books too low are not obligated to complete the sale, and can instead have their books returned to them. Also, anybody consigning with us is welcome to PM me or contact our consignment director Matt Griffin, and we'll double-check the grade assigned to a consignment.

If we treated sellers unfairly, they would not keep selling to us. We've bought over 140,000 comics over the past 30 days from online sellers, 85% of which came from repeat sellers, many of whom have sold and traded with us dozens and in some cases hundreds of times. You can also check out our feedback from sellers if interested.

One place you can get a sense for our grading is books posted to the please grade me forum:

A forum dedicated solely to asking forumites to guesstimate the grade of book from a scan. NOTE: GRADING FROM A SCAN IS NOT RELIABLE, it's just interesting.

As the board description notes, grading from a scan is not ideal, and some flaws are more noticeable with the book in hand than in a scan. With that qualifier in mind, here are the results from all PGM threads involving our books from the past 2 years. Most of these are from board member sk8dima.

PGM: Doctor Strange 169 board opinions 7.5-9.0, we graded 8.0, buyer submitted to CGC and got CGC 8.5

PGM: Amazing Spider-Man #583 (Obama Var.) board opinions 8.0-9.4, our grade 6.5.

PGM: Spider-Man Platinum board opinions 8.0-9.0, our grade 8.0

PGM: ASM #22 board opinions 3.0-4.0, our grade 3.0

PGM: ASM #29 board opinions 2.5-3.0, our grade 1.8

PGM: ASM #316 board opinions 9.2-9.4 with one 9.4/9.6, our grade 9.2

PGM: ASM #300 board opinions 8.5-9.2, our grade 8.0

PGM: ASM #361 board opinions 9.0-9.4, our grade 9.0

PGM: ASM #124 board opinions 5.0-6.5, our grade 4.0

PGM: ASM #194 board opinions 7.0-7.5, our grade 6.0

PGM: ASM #32 board opinions 7.0-7.5, our grade 4.0, some issues not fully visible from the scans

PGM Amazing Spider-man 102 board opinions 8.5-9.0 with one 8.0, our grade 8.5

PGM: ASM #20 board opinions 4.0-5.5, our grade 2.5

PGM: ASM #252 board opinions 9.2-9.4, our grade 8.0

PGM: ASM #39 board opinions 4.5-6.0, our grade 3.0

PGM ASM 27 board opinions 4.0-5.0, our grade 3.0

Based on our previous tracking of CGC submissions, my guess is that if these PGM books had been slabbed, most would come back from CGC at our grade, 0.5 higher, or 1.0 higher, with 0.5 higher being the average result.

red rocks,

Every book that we buy is posted for sale at the same grade we assigned when buying it. We never buy a book at one grade and then list it for sale at a higher grade. Anyone can verify this for themselves by watching our New In Stock page after they sell us books and we get the books recorded. From your previous comments, I wasn't sure if you were concerned that we were trying to buy your books at one grade and sell them at a higher grade. We do not do that, period.

Sellers who feel we've graded their books too low are not obligated to complete the sale, and can instead have their books returned to them. Also, anybody consigning with us is welcome to PM me or contact our consignment director Matt Griffin, and we'll double-check the grade assigned to a consignment.

If we treated sellers unfairly, they would not keep selling to us. We've bought over 140,000 comics over the past 30 days from online sellers, 85% of which came from repeat sellers, many of whom have sold and traded with us dozens and in some cases hundreds of times. You can also check out our feedback from sellers if interested.

One place you can get a sense for our grading is books posted to the please grade me forum:

A forum dedicated solely to asking forumites to guesstimate the grade of book from a scan. NOTE: GRADING FROM A SCAN IS NOT RELIABLE, it's just interesting.

As the board description notes, grading from a scan is not ideal, and some flaws are more noticeable with the book in hand than in a scan. With that qualifier in mind, here are the results from all PGM threads involving our books from the past 2 years. Most of these are from board member sk8dima.

PGM: Doctor Strange 169 board opinions 7.5-9.0, we graded 8.0, buyer submitted to CGC and got CGC 8.5

PGM: Amazing Spider-Man #583 (Obama Var.) board opinions 8.0-9.4, our grade 6.5.

PGM: Spider-Man Platinum board opinions 8.0-9.0, our grade 8.0

PGM: ASM #22 board opinions 3.0-4.0, our grade 3.0

PGM: ASM #29 board opinions 2.5-3.0, our grade 1.8

PGM: ASM #316 board opinions 9.2-9.4 with one 9.4/9.6, our grade 9.2

PGM: ASM #300 board opinions 8.5-9.2, our grade 8.0

PGM: ASM #361 board opinions 9.0-9.4, our grade 9.0

PGM: ASM #124 board opinions 5.0-6.5, our grade 4.0

PGM: ASM #194 board opinions 7.0-7.5, our grade 6.0

PGM: ASM #32 board opinions 7.0-7.5, our grade 4.0, some issues not fully visible from the scans

PGM Amazing Spider-man 102 board opinions 8.5-9.0 with one 8.0, our grade 8.5

PGM: ASM #20 board opinions 4.0-5.5, our grade 2.5

PGM: ASM #252 board opinions 9.2-9.4, our grade 8.0

PGM: ASM #39 board opinions 4.5-6.0, our grade 3.0

PGM ASM 27 board opinions 4.0-5.0, our grade 3.0

Based on our previous tracking of CGC submissions, my guess is that if these PGM books had been slabbed, most would come back from CGC at our grade, 0.5 higher, or 1.0 higher, with 0.5 higher being the average result.

Do you sell anything besides Spider-Man books?

...and Dr Strange? hm

its been awhile anyone get anything back from mycomicshop's grading recently? If so, what were the results?

It seems the consensus is they grade at least 0.5-1.0 harder than CGC, according to their own post above.

I've found PGM section to be pretty strict graders, so MCS being even more tough than the PGM forum says that MCS is really really strict!

The funny thing is the difference between an 8.0 sale price and a 9.2 is quite a lot, so I think it would be nice if MCS loosened up for the benefit of their sellers, as the sellers are losing quite a bit of value they kind of fairly deserve.

I would think the All Star 12 coming back cgc 7.5 from 4.5 would have bummed out the seller?