• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kinda OT but in some cases comic related - Action Figure Collecting

57 posts in this topic

Are prices on 60s and 70s toys really dropping?

I've thought about collecting the action figures of my youth, specifically 60s/70s G.I. Joe, 70s Mego Star Trek & Planet of the Apes, and 70s Kenner Star Wars toys.

These figures strike me as the bluechips of the Gen X toy market.

However, because I am a freak, I'm really only interested in toys that are MOC, which puts everything listed above way out of my price range.

So...crash coming soon for these, too?

:wishluck:

There are definitely toys in the 90s & 2000s that do really well.

The He-man Commemorative series does really well. He-man sold for $55 and Faker for $65 yesterday. Regular figures average $20-30. Not too shabby. And the Commemorative 5 & 10 packs go for big bucks. May end up selling mine here shortly. I think I have every single figure produced for the Commemorative line.

Love toys of the 80s. I collect:

He-man/MOTU (in package; even have the fabled Wonder Bread He-man)

G1 Transformers (loose; they are frickin' expensive in and out of box)

Star Wars (in package; only 70s/80s)

Joes (loose)

Secret Wars (in package)

I think AFA was not as positive as everyone thinks. I'm sure it's how some people feel about comics. Nothing irritates me more than a AFA graded loose figure being worth more than a non-AFA carded figure. If other words, if the card isn't perfect, it's not worth much.

Pat

The He-man Commemorative series does really well. He-man sold for $55 and Faker for $65 yesterday. Regular figures average $20-30. Not too shabby. And the Commemorative 5 & 10 packs go for big bucks. May end up selling mine here shortly. I think I have every single figure produced for the Commemorative line.

Joes (loose)

Secret Wars (in package)

I think AFA was not as positive as everyone thinks. I'm sure it's how some people feel about comics. Nothing irritates me more than a AFA graded loose figure being worth more than a non-AFA carded figure. If other words, if the card isn't perfect, it's not worth much.

Pat

Croc Master! :headbang:

That's one of my favorite joes.

I collected 80s action figures very seriously in the past; just about everything except Transformers because the price point was way too high.

My main calling was the vehicle/figure line by Kenner entitled M.A.S.K. I owned every single vehicle produced most sealed in box. I even uncovered a few sealed cases that I slowly sold over the years. This was all before AFA grading, I can only imagine what perfect examples of Rhino, Thunderhawk and Firecracker would go for graded now...

I've since sold everything and I regret it too. :(

Joes (loose)

Secret Wars (in package)

Pat

Croc Master! :headbang:

That's one of my favorite joes.

I collected 80s action figures very seriously in the past; just about everything except Transformers because the price point was way too high.

My main calling was the vehicle/figure line by Kenner entitled M.A.S.K. I owned every single vehicle produced most sealed in box. I even uncovered a few sealed cases that I slowly sold over the years. This was all before AFA grading, I can only imagine what perfect examples of Rhino, Thunderhawk and Firecracker would go for graded now...

I've since sold everything and I regret it too. :(

I'm glad someone knew my avatar!

Croc Master & BATS were my favorite growing up.

I still have a few MASK figures & vehicles. I don't know them as well as the other stuff. I have the green motor cycle, the red camaro, and the purple sled. Might have the orange jeep. Always wanted that red Semi.

Planet Force has a great picture of a bunch of them:

http://www.planetforce.com/MSKLSE.JPG

When I was a kid, someone gave us the Boulder Hill Playset. I was a bit too old for it at the time. It sat in my folks closet for years and years. They decided it took up too much room and put it in the garage sale. Someone got it for $5 and it had never been opened/touched. DOHHHHHH

Pat

our business was built in the early 90's on selling action figures...we experienced tremendous growth all the way to 2005... the last 4 years have been a steady decline in sales, to the point that in 2010, we are down 90% from 2005...

the market has changed and might never recover, so if you are collecting for fun, stick with it...but virtually NO investment value in 1990's-2000's toys

How exactly does that guy from Brian's Toys do it? I mean, I get his catalog all the time and no, I don't follow newer action figures much but it seems like he's got recently released stuff listed and it's for hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars. Is he just the one guy on the planet who gets all the rarities or something? All I know is I like his catalogs and he does have one heck of a selection of super duper, high-priced stuff I could not, nor would ever buy. But it sure is fun to look at all of it. Who wouldn't want a rocket-firing Boba Fett. :headbang:

Brian started selling toys a year or two after I did. I knew him quite well. His ads and my ads often ended up on the same page in the same publications.

:bump:

I'm hoping somebody in-the-know can tell me how the market is doing for 60s/70s toys...are those prices coming down, too? Even for MOC action figures,etc.?

I've been thinking of collecting these but prices were pretty high the last time a check (which was some time ago...)

:bump:

I'm hoping somebody in-the-know can tell me how the market is doing for 60s/70s toys...are those prices coming down, too? Even for MOC action figures,etc.?

I've been thinking of collecting these but prices were pretty high the last time a check (which was some time ago...)

vintage toys are mostly following the same pattern as vintage comics. Minty stuff keeps going up and the rest not so much...

I always wanted to collect Mego superheroes,but thought they were getting out of my price range.Maybe Rick/Gator could chime in on the current Mego market.Are original boxed Mego superheroes going up or down? (shrug)

I always wanted to collect Mego superheroes,but thought they were getting out of my price range.Maybe Rick/Gator could chime in on the current Mego market.Are original boxed Mego superheroes going up or down? (shrug)

boxed/moc just keep going up