• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warning: EBay seller Spider-ManInfo

27 posts in this topic

Have anyone else ever dealt with this seller? As his username hints, he deals mainly in Spidey books and I am in the process of completing my ASM run. A week ago, I won a copy ASM #27 from him which he actively described as VG+.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330435414905&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

I don't mind picking up some mid - low grade books as long as the cover presents nicely and there are no major defects like popped staples, loose pages / cover or large tears. From his pictures and description, it looks like a nice addition to my collection. Well the book arrived yesterday and it seems a major defect has been omitted from his description. There were large spine splits (2 inches from the top and a 1/2 inch from the bottom). I know these did not occur during shipping as there were no visible damage signs from the cardboard that were used to protect the book and the split looks aged.

Ok now overall, I am not happy because this information was left out and the book feels more like a G/VG rather then a VG+. Also it no longer fits my requirements because of the spine splits. So I promptly email the seller with the details. Now what happens afterward was totally something I didn't expect from a veteran comic seller that has been selling on Ebay for quite some time. At first, he fought tooth and nail stating that there were no spine splits and that the grades between G/VG and VG+ made absolutely no difference. (Err Wat?!) Not only that, he was stubborn and said he stands by his grade and refuse to work with me towards any resolution. After a few more email exchanges, he finally admits that the spine splits "ARE NOT A MATERIAL DEFECT".

QWHAT??! Really?! This coming from a seller with over 10k transactions? So he left out the spine splits as he felt it's not important to include in the details? This is going to be my first and last time I ever gonna be dealing with this joker.

Now he did end the last email stating to send the book back to him. With the conversation we had, I'm not sure how much I can trust him. So I'm left with two options.

1) File a SNAD with PayPal and send the book back to him with tracking so I am covered for a refund, but will have to eat the return shipping cost.

2) Keep the book to use as a trade fodder or resell it.

Which option would you guys go for?

I wouldn't say you overpaid by much now that I look at it. Heck, now I'm eyeballing the #15 ending later today. Pretty cheap book there.

Well it's almost always cheap until the last few minutes of an auction. However, if you still wish to deal with him be forewarn that he will not work with you for any reason should a problem occur.

With all due respect, why did you deal with a guy with that many negs? Like Mr Pontoon, I avoid these guys. Doesn't matter to me if they technically have a high 99% rating.

I won a #94 several years ago from him in Fine, when it arrived in the mail the cover was detached from the bottom staple. He claimed it was not like that when he shipped it?!?! I sucked it up and made a mental note to not buy from him again.

With all due respect, why did you deal with a guy with that many negs? Like Mr Pontoon, I avoid these guys. Doesn't matter to me if they technically have a high 99% rating.

Well I have been getting a string of good results lately with buying that I dropped the ball on checking this seller using Toolhaus. So it's partially my fault for not checking, but I figure I should still spread the word to warn others to avoid this seller at all cost.

As Ebay burns go this one seems pretty minor.

I'd say the answer depends on your own economic situation: if this is significant money to you, pursue the refund; if it's no big deal financially then move on. Spideys don't seem too hard to unload.

I dealt with this guy when we was just starting out and I had almost the same experience. I purchased an issue of ASM from him and part of the back cover was chewed away by insects. When I tried to return the comic, he said that doesn't affect the grade...

:censored: him.

Wow, what a shame. I was in contact with him early on in my ASM run asking him questions about various issues, etc--very helpful. Plus, I still refer back to his main website.

Shame to see all of those negative transactions.

I really enjoyed reading the negative ratings and the sellers responses to each

I would keep the comic and move on--this guys doesn't seem stable :screwy:

Do you think he uses "unreal" as much in everyday conversation as he does in his responses?

I dealt with this guy when we was just starting out and I had almost the same experience. I purchased an issue of ASM from him and part of the back cover was chewed away by insects. When I tried to return the comic, he said that doesn't affect the grade...

:censored: him.

Sorry but I had to lol at that :D also how do you know it was by bugs ?:S

I suggest that you start by making a Paypal claim, open up a dispute(item not as described).

Once they don't immediately cooperate, make it official. eBay or PayPal will only do something meaningful if they have a lot of evidence. The feedback is almost useless as evidence, but the official disputes are very important. You can speak with an eBay representative if that is needed to fully explain the problem. The dispute comments sections are very very short.

I agree, return the item if the shipping loss is minor. If the problem is very very clear, then eBay by way of the dispute may influence the seller to refund all of the money, or that and keep the item. I had that happen last Winter due to poor packing, for a $35 item destroyed because of the seller(packer).

Bought many issues over the last several years from him and never have had a problem...Mostly silver stuff in the G/VG range too. He was always very fair with shipping up to Canada.

Then I found this board. Not too many ebay comic purchases any more.

I really enjoyed reading the negative ratings and the sellers responses to each

I would keep the comic and move on--this guys doesn't seem stable :screwy:

OMG. That is some funny stuff.

Well...not to the people who wrote it.

This is one of the reasons ebay SUX. How can they allow this guy to continue selling?

This is one of the reasons ebay SUX. How can they allow this guy to continue selling?

Sadly, there are much worse guys than him on ebay and they still continue to do business there. :(