• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Miss Dave (Stevens, that is)
9 9

4,931 posts in this topic

That 9.9 Starslayer #2 is up to $170. :o Never expected it to get THAT high.

A double cover 9.8 sold for $126 4 years ago, but generally that's 3 times a 9.8 price.

I was really tempted, but thats a crazy price...

Have to dig out my raw copies. :idea:

Are there any potential investments out there? hm

YES! I heard someone will be listing some Dave Stevens cover slabs today in the cheaper 9.4 and 9.6 grades this morning. A much better overall long term investment than those uber expensive 9.8s and 9.9s. :whistle:

YES! I heard someone will be listing some Dave Stevens cover slabs today in the cheaper 9.4 and 9.6 grades this morning. A much better overall long term investment than those uber expensive 9.8s and 9.9s. :whistle:

hm

:ohnoez:

I was prepared to spend (what I thought was) way more than what it was worth, but nowhere near $217. That's a hell of a premium for a book that's likely to have several more 9.9's out there and tons of 9.8s, imho.

The natural progression would be to Dave's original art at this point, wouldn't it? (shrug)

The natural progression would be to Dave's original art at this point, wouldn't it? (shrug)

Which has been obscenely expensive as well as rarely available for a few years now.. :(

Most of the stuff that is available are prelims and rough sketches...

http://www.comicartfans.com/ClassifiedsSearchResult.asp?PM=1&txtSearch=Dave+Stevens&Order=

or $13k for this. :)

D%20Stevens%20Alien%20World%27s%203-D%20Fair%20Play.jpg

Edited by sl4ppy

Yes, you are correct Mr. I've Got The Sweetest Piece of Original Dave Artwork Featuring Cliff's Betty. I was merely taking a tongue in cheek jab at another thread in this forum. (:

Love the fair play page, don't love the price :(

Love that first image. Dave did a great Marilyn.

The price isn't too far off probably. It's not double or anything. For an all Dave page with no guest inking it's probably only $4k heavier than a price where it would have been sold a long ago.

Dave's one guy I would over pay for. You never see much published stuff out there.

If I had the money to overpay I might. Trade, I would trade nearly my entire collection of books and still not be able to come to a number someone would be willing to take. I still kick myself all the time because all the times I met Dave I never got him to sketch anything for me. I was just a teenager and didn't know what a sketch even was :(

Dave's one guy I would over pay for. You never see much published stuff out there.

easy to say when you got your piece years ago :P

If I was going to overpay for a dave piece it would be for one like yours. (course I hate to think what insane price yours would be these days).

This one is nice but its not 13k nice and to me 4-5k is a big overpayment in both % and absolute dollars

If I was going to overpay for a dave piece it would be for one like yours. (course I hate to think what insane price yours would be these days).

This one is nice but its not 13k nice and to me 4-5k is a big overpayment in both % and absolute dollars

It's a huge overpayment I agree. I meant for a dealer price it's not as crazy as a lot I have seen over the years.

What is Dave's first published work? I picked up an underground today from 1977 that had two pages of DS art. I will post pics on Monday.

I believe he did a back-up story in the ultra rare/potential investment copy of Strawberry Shortcake: Rise Of The Muffins. (:

Seriously though, I think a history of his work is in Brush With Passion.

It's a huge overpayment I agree. I meant for a dealer price it's not as crazy as a lot I have seen over the years.

Ah yes! Now I follow!