• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Miss Dave (Stevens, that is)
9 9

4,946 posts in this topic

Keith/kdoginohio and I individually had contacted the original publisher of the 3-D Zone line. It turns out he has quite a few copies of the second printing, which he is selling for $25/ea.

But what you have to go through to kiss his ring, put up with his name-dropping ("My good friend Tom Jane and I were talking the other day..."), and groveling to get any of his books is just more painful than it is worth.

That sounds like a mess. Did you guys score the books from him?

Not at all. Keith and I found out he likes to play too many games in order for you to purchase his books. But what he'll do with his stack of second prints will be interesting.

I've just never run across someone that had such a strong dislike for comic collectors, yet he is a comic creator. Very odd.

Keith/kdoginohio and I individually had contacted the original publisher of the 3-D Zone line. It turns out he has quite a few copies of the second printing, which he is selling for $25/ea.

But what you have to go through to kiss his ring, put up with his name-dropping ("My good friend Tom Jane and I were talking the other day..."), and groveling to get any of his books is just more painful than it is worth.

That sounds like a mess. Did you guys score the books from him?

Not at all. Keith and I found out he likes to play too many games in order for you to purchase his books. But what he'll do with his stack of second prints will be interesting.

I've just never run across someone that had such a strong dislike for comic collectors, yet he is a comic creator. Very odd.

:gossip: Didn't you know that we are supposed to worship them and lay prone when they are among us.

:roflmao:

That's true. That one email starting sentence was the best.

"Do you understand that I am the publisher of the book you're searching for? As such, I am in a position to help you acquire this book."

It all went downhill from there.

:roflmao:

That's true. That one email starting sentence was the best.

"Do you understand that I am the publisher of the book you're searching for? As such, I am in a position to help you acquire this book."

It all went downhill from there.

Come unto me and sacrifice your Airboy 5's.

So what does the second printing of that book look like versus the first? Any noticable differences?

From Dave's site "The cover of the 2nd edition is not numbered and the Canadian price is missing. The 2nd edition also includes a photo of Marilyn Gatewood and her 3-D tattoo Homage to Marilyn Monroe. "

Here's a cover of a fanzine that Dave did work on (1974) that I don't think has been listed in this thread yet and a portfolio from Verotik (I might have an extra unopened one if someone wants to shell out some big chips to entice me to go looking through my stuff for it).

111909.jpg.649379a3eea8ab99826db426e2806091.jpg

111910.jpg.0a96dbdd75f9dfdf69e9aaffcf653e97.jpg

Edited by 50 Cent #II (1st)

Somebody has a Dave Stevens sales thread going on right now. Oh and as an update to my books at CGC they are verified today! :) That's progress at least!

:popcorn:

Yeah well you guys driving up the 3-d zone books ain't helping.... :lol:

It really is driving dealers to now price these out beyond reality. One dealer that was selling his for $28 now upped it recently to $55.

doh!