• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hi everyone.

123 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of buying some Golden Age books and I would like some advice.

What should I look for in a GA book?

What's a good price on a GA book?

Which GA books are worth getting?

And,who can I trust to buy some GA books?

Those are tough questions MFGirl.

Look For: the best option is to look for a combination of a great (or classic) cover with solid interior art by comicdom greats.

What had you in mind before posting the questions? Answer that and you'll get more suggestions that you might know what to do with!! We're pretty rabid around here about our favorites.

Good Price: it's tough to say. In this instance, you really have to ask your trusted peers how much a book is worth since variance in guide is wide on both side (under- and over-valued)

Worth getting: see above

Who to buy from: in-demand GA books are simply not available from all dealers so if you set your mind on a specific book, you'll have to start looking maybe far and wide to find a copy for sale. After that, inquire around as to whom you'd be dealing with.

1. First and foremost look for white pages (thumbs u

2. Price depends on what you want. Some are over guide (multiples even) some much less than guide

3. Anything with Batman, Superman, Captain America, Sub-Mariner, et al are good candidates.

4. Richard Evans (Mr. Bedrock), Rick Whitelock (Gator)

Welcome! :) GA books are great fun.

Pick a GA genre that you like (ex: superhero, romance, horror, crime, funny animals, science fiction, etc etc), and we can probably offer good suggestions from there.

Welcome! :) GA books are great fun.

Pick a GA genre that you like (ex: superhero, romance, horror, crime, funny animals, science fiction, etc etc), and we can probably offer good suggestions from there.

I like Science Fiction,which one do you recommend?

If you are in the middle of nowhere, Texas, then you aren't far from San Antonio. Come to the Live Oak Collector's Show in July. We always bring a diverse selection of affordable GA books in a wide range of grades.

I mainly want some Batman,Captain America,Tec comics in my collection.

Great choices!

I recommend EC's Weird Science and Weird Fantasy from the 1950s, especially towards the end of the runs. Some of the best comics ever written and drawn, IMO (RIP Al Williamson). You can even start cheap with reprint TPBs and see how you like them.

I mainly want some Batman,Captain America,Tec comics in my collection.

Great choices!

I recommend EC's Weird Science and Weird Fantasy from the 1950s, especially towards the end of the runs. Some of the best comics ever written and drawn, IMO (RIP Al Williamson). You can even start cheap with reprint TPBs and see how you like them.

I'll do some research on those Sci-fi books.

How much are the TPB reprints?

Just checked ebay, and the reprint publisher is actually selling them directly. The TPBs are OOP, and contain 4-5 issues each. These are really good prices!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Weird-Fantasy-EC-Annual-5-/180431823215?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0293216f

http://cgi.ebay.com/Weird-Science-EC-Annual-5-/180504898527?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a06ee2bdf

These encompass the last issues of both titles... what I consider the sweet spot of the runs.

I'll second Jon's recommendations - the EC sci-fi books are wonderful.

Last time I looked Russ Cochran was selling the TPBs on ebay for under $10 each. Also worth considering are the three hardcover volumes of Weird Science - more expensive than the TPBs but lovely books. :cloud9:

Detective comics # 35

Fighting words. :taptaptap:

lol i was counting how long it would take you to see that jon lol

:hi:

I think my grandchildren will be looking for this book... zzz

Detective comics # 35

Fighting words. :taptaptap:

lol i was counting how long it would take you to see that jon lol

:hi:

I think my grandchildren will be looking for this book... zzz

I have this ole thing, found in my attic, is it worth anything? :insane:

IMG_1817.jpg

I'd sell but only for ONE HUNDRED BILLIONZ MILLIONZ! :insane:

:foryou:

Just checked ebay, and the reprint publisher is actually selling them directly. The TPBs are OOP, and contain 4-5 issues each. These are really good prices!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Weird-Fantasy-EC-Annual-5-/180431823215?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0293216f

http://cgi.ebay.com/Weird-Science-EC-Annual-5-/180504898527?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a06ee2bdf

These encompass the last issues of both titles... what I consider the sweet spot of the runs.

Should I read all 22 issues of both series?