• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hi everyone.

123 posts in this topic

This seems like a good segue into showing off my toys. :grin: Here's my Bats/Tecs group photo from a year or so ago.

These have wear and hidden defects, but present well even in lower grade (which is one nice thing about GA... with the right low-grade books, the colors can still scream).

75364.jpg

:cloud9::luhv:

Should I read all 22 issues of both series?

I think every EC Comic is worth reading, but agree with Jon that the later Weird Science and Weird Fantasy are the best of the science fiction run.

Why don't you guys show me some Timely books ;)

Young Allies #4. Forgive the poor scan. I'm working on getting a better scanner. This one went to Chandler for signing at the Stan Lee Tribute. It has several diagonal long folds (non-color breaking) on the cover, or it would have graded higher.

YoungAllies450FC.jpg

Young Allies #4. Forgive the poor scan. I'm working on getting a better scanner. This one went to Chandler for signing at the Stan Lee Tribute. It has several diagonal long folds (non-color breaking) on the cover, or it would have graded higher.

YoungAllies450FC.jpg

Nice book :cool:

As far as science fiction goes, I second the recommendation for Planet Comics. They have great covers, higher quality stories and art (for GA), and are fairly affordable. You can get late-run copies in mid-grade for $200 or so.

I "third" the recommendation for Planet Comics. Beautiful covers and only 73 issues. Some really good interior art ( for golden age ) in issues 26 - 58 or so. Cool characters - Mysta of the moon, hunt bowman and the lost world, star pirate, mars god of war, and others. The later issues reprint early planet stories, FYI.

I'll try and post some covers and splash pages later tonight. (thumbs u

YoungAllies450FC.jpg

Nice!

As far as science fiction goes, I second the recommendation for Planet Comics. They have great covers, higher quality stories and art (for GA), and are fairly affordable. You can get late-run copies in mid-grade for $200 or so.

I "third" the recommendation for Planet Comics. Beautiful covers and only 73 issues. Some really good interior art ( for golden age ) in issues 26 - 58 or so. Cool characters - Mysta of the moon, hunt bowman and the lost world, star pirate, mars god of war, and others. The later issues reprint early planet stories, FYI.

I'll try and post some covers and splash pages later tonight. (thumbs u

Here are a few....

pla1_710a.jpg

planet20-1.jpg

planet351.jpg

Interior from #35- First Mysta of the Moon

img018.jpg

planet41.jpg

Want to see any more?

Welcome to a fun but expensive section of the hobby. For what it's worth, I've only been in this end of the pool for about a year and a half, so I'm still quite the neophyte... but maybe that might help? Now granted... there are inexpensive areas of the Golden Age but if you're looking at Batman and Captain America books, be prepared to bring some money to the table as the entrance fees are not cheap.

For example,

I collect lower grade books. Now, for me to get my hands a non-key copy of say, Detective Comics in the 40s or 50s, I probably won't find anything for under in respectable low grade condition (strong 1.5-2.5) for under $100, some but not much for under $150, and more once we break the $150-$200 range. I'd probably say the same for Batman issues below #20, and Action Comics in the 40s or higher.

Now, if you start getting into REALLY early issues, the price starts skyrocketing unless you go lower in grade (0.5 - weak 1.5s). You'll also see minor keys in this grade range run in this general price range (give or take depending on the book and presentability). Books from my collection that fit this bill would be my Batman 11, Tec 42 Pedigree, Superman 3, 4, 14, etc, which ran somwhere along the $250-500ish range. Then again, the Batman 2 I picked up SHOULD have been about $1k but I was ridiculously lucky on that one... (another story altogether).

I didn't mentioned the ol' Timely Caps because I haven't moved in that direction yet. BUT, they have a strong demand it's not often that these book with Cap on the cover and are priced at guide will last 24 hours here on the boards. They're pricey and they generally seem hot.

And you know something? The vets in the section could EASILY tear my analysis right up--they've been around more, seen more, and know more about it. Point is, I highly, highly recommend you take some time and really learn about this niche of the market (which is quite a bit of fun to do!). Get the Gerber books and try and figure out what really fires you up in the GA--it's pricey so a very good idea to have a feel for what you like ahead of time--and these books are great for that. Read through this section of the forums--I searched in here and found TONS of great posts which turned me on to a few interesting areas (which I will get to eventually!-).

Best of luck--it's a whole different way to explore this hobby! (thumbs u

Welcome to a fun but expensive section of the hobby. For what it's worth, I've only been in this end of the pool for about a year and a half, so I'm still quite the neophyte... but maybe that might help? Now granted... there are inexpensive areas of the Golden Age but if you're looking at Batman and Captain America books, be prepared to bring some money to the table as the entrance fees are not cheap.

For example,

I collect lower grade books. Now, for me to get my hands a non-key copy of say, Detective Comics in the 40s or 50s, I probably won't find anything for under in respectable low grade condition (strong 1.5-2.5) for under $100, some but not much for under $150, and more once we break the $150-$200 range. I'd probably say the same for Batman issues below #20, and Action Comics in the 40s or higher.

Now, if you start getting into REALLY early issues, the price starts skyrocketing unless you go lower in grade (0.5 - weak 1.5s). You'll also see minor keys in this grade range run in this general price range (give or take depending on the book and presentability). Books from my collection that fit this bill would be my Batman 11, Tec 42 Pedigree, Superman 3, 4, 14, etc, which ran somwhere along the $250-500ish range. Then again, the Batman 2 I picked up SHOULD have been about $1k but I was ridiculously lucky on that one... (another story altogether).

I didn't mentioned the ol' Timely Caps because I haven't moved in that direction yet. BUT, they have a strong demand it's not often that these book with Cap on the cover and are priced at guide will last 24 hours here on the boards. They're pricey and they generally seem hot.

And you know something? The vets in the section could EASILY tear my analysis right up--they've been around more, seen more, and know more about it. Point is, I highly, highly recommend you take some time and really learn about this niche of the market (which is quite a bit of fun to do!). Get the Gerber books and try and figure out what really fires you up in the GA--it's pricey so a very good idea to have a feel for what you like ahead of time--and these books are great for that. Read through this section of the forums--I searched in here and found TONS of great posts which turned me on to a few interesting areas (which I will get to eventually!-).

Best of luck--it's a whole different way to explore this hobby! (thumbs u

Thanks for your insight Mac :)

Can someone show me a Gerber book?

I notice that some GA books like All-Flash,Green Lantern,and Sub-Mariner are in my price range,so I may start with those books