• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alex Schomburg lithos
3 3

36 posts in this topic

There was a gentleman at Wizard World Chicago last year who had a number of the signed lithographs at his booth. Saw him again at C2E2 in May. Thought he said he would have a few more at the Chicago Comic Con in August. I'll pm his name and phone number to you.

I have that same one: 90/150...The last Heritage print sold in Nov 09 for $1250. I would ask for more for my print since it was $400 just to frame with UV protective glass. Schomburg did the oil pointing re-creation in 1977. Then 150 (plus 10 proofs) signed additions were made in 1984. There are also lithos of All Winners #11 and Marvel Mystery (#66?). I think they are great to have if you are a Cap/Schomburg die-hard. :cool:

bennie5.jpg

Edited by Primetime

P1030182.jpg
nice Rob. I'd like to get that AW 11 litho someday. I really wish Schomburg did lithos to All Select 1 or 2. :cloud9:

Ben, I wish he made a Capt America Comics 27 and a Marvel Mystery 46 (thumbs u

:cool: I wonder how he decided which ones to re-create? Were these his personal favorite covers? hm

On 6/22/2010 at 4:22 PM, Ferdelance said:

Marvel Mystery 66

P1030183.jpg

Just for fun and because we’ve been discussing Timely classic covers in another thread, let’s bump this ... :bump:

Also, I’ll post Alex’s gouache painting used for the litho recreation of MM #66 ...

79f6732a-d96c-422b-95f7-7ae8f8bbee85_zps

Original Image courtesy of Heritage Auctions

Note: The other two paintings Alex used for the litho series were Cap #37 & All Winners #11.

16 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Just for fun and because we’ve been discussing Timely classic covers in another thread, let’s bump this ... :bump:

Also, I’ll post Alex’s gouache painting used for the litho recreation of MM #66 ...

79f6732a-d96c-422b-95f7-7ae8f8bbee85_zps

Original Image courtesy of Heritage Auctions

Note: The other two paintings Alex used for the litho series were Cap #37 & All Winners #11.

That there is a piece of history, Cat.

I guess Mr. Schomburg must have been getting a piece of it when the lithos were originally sold.  Does anyone know what the selling price was when the lithos were first offered to the public?

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

3 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

That there is a piece of history

Thanks! Through a fortuitous series of events and a bit of luck this long sought grail found it’s way to the centerpiece of my Timely collection. Acquired through direct negotiation with Theo Holstein, a contact that was made possible by our mutual buddy Mitch.  So, I’m very appreciative of Mitch coming through.

I’ve often wondered where the other two Schomburg paintings done for this series of lithos reside and what they’d go for today.   hm

20 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

That there is a piece of history, Cat.

I guess Mr. Schomburg must have been getting a piece of it when the lithos were originally sold.  Does anyone know what the selling price was when the lithos were first offered to the public?

Before acquiring the original painting I owned one of the Buccaneer Graphics signed lithos.  These were published in two forms, unnumbered, unsigned poster-prints and signed (by Alex, in pencil), numbered, limited edition prints. The signed/numbered lithos were in an edition of 150 plus 10 proofs of each.  Couldn’t locate original pricing info, but they currently sell privately and through auctions for $500@ up, much more with good framing. The unlimited edition was probably printed in numbers exceeding 500 and probably were priced around $20, but that’s just my best guess based on what lithographed art prints typically cost in the early 80’s.  

The original Buccaneer Graphics lithos are beautiful, but not color fast.  To retain strong color strike these prints have to be kept out of direct sunlight or other light sources with unfiltered UV.  

Edited by Cat-Man_America
fewer words (lol)