• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet out in a number of weeks, what will it say?

59 posts in this topic

Because there are people like me who would use Wizard to line a birdcage, but would never again read one.

I think this is irresponsible sentiment and I applaud Wizard for doing just this. Slabbed prices are hugely important and represent a very large segment of back issues sales. Some people will ONLY buy slabbed comics, at least of those online. The comics world has changed with the arrival of CGC (and new competitors) and their impact should be felt to reflect reality. I hope that Overstreet does publish slabbed values, if not with the raw prices then in another section of it's own. It is important to publish this information so that new collectors coming into the field have something to go by. ------Sid

Not necessarily disagreeing with you Sid.....

But if Wizard is already providing this info why should OS report it?

Jim

That's why I subscribe to GPAnalysis.com. The information is far more comprehensive than what I'd get from Wizard.

Because there are people like me who would use Wizard to line a birdcage, but would never again read one.

But if you value and want slabbed price guide info Wizard gives it to ya.

Jim

Hear hear. Wizard's contributions to the comic book collecting community are nil, IMO. As for including CGCed books' sales in the annual OS Guide, I don't see that being very valuable. The sales prices of CGCed books are so fluid, having one point of reference from some point in late 2003 seems nigh unto worthless when making a buying decision.

Now, to the extent that CGCed books' prices are affecting the overall market, and prices for specific titles especially in high grade, it seems as though finding a way to factor that into overall pricing would be sensible at this point. Sensible, but not simple.

True, and I agree with you, but the same could be said for reports of realized sales of unslabbed books, no? confused-smiley-013.gif Personally, I enjoy reading the market reports (although I find it funny when certain dealers try to drum up interest in stuff that they have been hoarding).

Hear hear. Wizard's contributions to the comic book collecting community are nil, IMO. As for including CGCed books' sales in the annual OS Guide, I don't see that being very valuable. The sales prices of CGCed books are so fluid, having one point of reference from some point in late 2003 seems nigh unto worthless when making a buying decision.

Now, to the extent that CGCed books' prices are affecting the overall market, and prices for specific titles especially in high grade, it seems as though finding a way to factor that into overall pricing would be sensible at this point. Sensible, but not simple.

True, and I agree with you, but the same could be said for reports of realized sales of unslabbed books, no? confused-smiley-013.gif

Well, at least Overstreet's is a time-tested method that's been employed for 30+ years, and draws on actual prices of sales realized (not, as many people content, prices asked), from dozens of dealers around the country. Not saying it's foolproof by any means, but it's the way that comic prices have been determined for a long time. We had a long debate about the question of whether the OS Guide should try to reflect the prices being realized by high-grade CGC books, in another thread...

Kudos to AB for responding and showing the faith! We're with you Brutha! acclaim.gif

FYI to the masses not understanding the system, we file our reports In September, so there is a good 7 months between data and street. hi.gif

The Super Gear reference made me 27_laughing.gif! 10x is soooooooooooooooooooooooo generous! NOT !!!! 893frustrated.gif There are people wanting to pay 600x to 1,000 x guide for this!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

AND for the dude with the $3.00 book listing that hasn't gone up. Sometimes there is not enough documented activity on a book to raise the average. Additionally, any amendment of the price without a documented sale would be price fixing and a conflict of interest. OPG is based on actual sales.

And the books you REALLY want to attack for errors are The Standard Catalog of Comic Books and anything by John Jackson Miller/ CBG. I faxed Maggie pages of errors all last year.

MAKE MINE OVERSTREET! thumbsup2.gif

I'm expecting the usual conservative price rises as per Overstreet.

What would also be good to see is various data/listing mistakes corrected, as outlined in a previous thread on the boards.

Hope you were listening Overstreet. grin.gif

I agree. For Silver Age first few issues in the main Marvel/DC titles 7-15%. Issues outside of say the first 10 more along the lines of 5-10%.

The general philosophy of "the big O" isn't concerned about being on pace with the overall buying market IMO. If it lags behind then it is less susceptible to peaks and valleys for issues & titles. A guide is, after all, just a guide.

The other important thing is the annual only comes out once a year. There are too many changes from one year to the next to be truly timely.

That's why you can pay for the privilege of GPAnalysis or Overstreet's monthly updates. grin.giftongue.gif

acclaim.gifI know there will be a GREAT and MOVING article on the three comic book charities, Comic Book Legal Defense Fund, Comics4Kids, and A.C.T.O.R. authored by a DARING and INNOVATIVE writer. acclaim.gif Did I mention HANDSOME? cloud9.gif

blush.gifoops wrong audience!

Just cause you paid $750 for it doesn't mean it's worth that much....

You could be the only one in the world willing to buy at that price.....

Jim

But as there are only three known copies, and as mine is the only sale for the last ten years, I would think it MUST have some validity surely ????

All SA Teen Titan books will rise as will Adam's Bats especially #232 & #234. Detective #359 is also due a rise. Transformers and Joes to take a hit. Marvel books to be removed in total because nobody wants to buy them or read them. grin.gif

Vampi's, eeries and creepies etc etc will show little increase as the CGC impact was too late to be reflected in this years OS.

When at a show since 1996 Ive been picking up valiant keys quietly until word seems to have gotten out on them. I just dont find Keys or Gold editions around anymore over these past two years. Chaos Omega Gold, Harbinger Pink, Alpha Red, etc are just not around anymore in any sort of quanity. I used to find a few around each show. Now its more like every 4 shows. These books just are not around anymore in any quantity. Has anyone else noticed the same.

Valiantman, have you noticed supply slowly drying up? They seem to be working there way into colletions slowly but surely.