• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Torpedo comics link sale

170 posts in this topic

How are you shipping the stuff back?

Most will stay out there. I'll offer the stuff on the forums

Any VERTIGO books you wanna do a quick flip on and I'll pick them up on Friday :wishluck:

I only picked up SA and BA lots. Sorry. I did pick up a few lots of mixed slabs, just for the slabs but don't think there were any Vertigos in them.

Since this was an "internet only" auction, was anybody actually at the site live for the auction or only for the preview? I would love to know how this process actually worked as well as how many Board members participated or was it mostly local Vegas buyers who reaped the benefits.

Inquiring minds want to know (or at least one). :baiting:

Ed Robertson

Since this was an "internet only" auction, was anybody actually at the site live for the auction or only for the preview? I would love to know how this process actually worked as well as how many Board members participated or was it mostly local Vegas buyers who reaped the benefits.

Inquiring minds want to know (or at least one). :baiting:

Ed Robertson

+100

Why can't they do something like this in St Louis? :cry:

Ah... a fellow St. Louisian. We can only dream an attend the little local cons and get our .50 a comic fix of mostly modern stuff.

Well, at least the Fantasy Shop has their twice a year .25 quarter sale with hundreds of long boxes.

For as much crapola as Mound City got at the start of their process...this is absolutely how not to run a comic auction.

It's pretty much free money for local dealers. If I lived in a three hundred mile radius of the pickup location, I would be on this like DiceX on free pr0n

This is a license to print money for anybody within 500 miles of Vegas. If I was a dealer or a collector in Southern California, and my board name started with RMA, I'd be in Vegas with a 19 foot U-Haul right now. There's some amazing stuff in there that's going to go for nothing.

meh.

Do you know how HOT it is in Vegas right now....?

I looked, and just wasn't willing to bid against locals.

I could have been in deep sheist if I won just 3 items.

:screwy:

Too much risk, way not enough reward.

Some of the stuff at the back is going for such a low price its almost worth a flight out there. The office equipment/shelving, that sort of thing, is - roughly - 90% off retail.

I can't get over the descriptions. It is as if they want to have this stuff sell for the lowest price possible. This for example - "Aria, Spider-Man and more, 11 boxes of Spider-Man, 20 boxes of Aria, 31 boxes total, approx 3000 pcs". Current price $38. :o

But it ended at $178.

3,000 pieces still makes 7 cents a book.

Anyone think Aria is worth 7 cents a book wholesale...?

Cause I don't.

This is exactly what I was afraid of, and why I'm glad I didn't bother.

Yikes. Or this one. 6/100ths of a cent each for moderns. That's insane. :o

That one alone in a bulk sale you could probably make about $1,150 on at most. That's JUST if you sold in bulk.

Minimum you could still make about $500. That one lot pays for the U-Haul rental.

Minimum you could make on those 6,000 books is $500...?

On what planet? This stuff is unnamed junk!

Yeah, cause I can sell endless copies of Paradise X for 8 cents each...

lol

I'll justsay this....I bought 65 long boxes of Copper drek last year...it had been pillaged, but it did have runs of Action Weekly (which is a tough run to put together for cheap), Jonah Hex, Arak, Arion, Amethyst...all sorts of this stuff...and a LOT of it is in top notch shape...

Paid $12/long box for it.

Better deal than any of this stuff, imo.

There were some great deals there, and very little competition. Most lots seemed to have ten or less bids on them. I already regret not spending ten times the two grand I did. I've commitments for half my outlay for about a fifteenth of the product,

have a $200 offer on an item I paid $17 for, and another of $150 for an item I paid $50 for. Within a week, I'll have my money back and be sitting on some 75 slabs and 2,000 SA/BA books, plus some nice artwork and hopefully a working scanner.

That one alone in a bulk sale you could probably make about $1,150 on at most. That's JUST if you sold in bulk.

Minimum you could still make about $500. That one lot pays for the U-Haul rental.

lol

I'm sorry, but if can't figure out a way to make a nice profit off of 6,000 books for $127, I'm not sure you have much future in this hobby.

lol

I'm sorry, but if can't figure out a way to make a nice profit off of 6,000 books for $127, I'm not sure you have much future in this hobby.

lol

I may not have much of future, but I have one hell of a past.... :)

$127?

$127 X 1.13 = $143

$143 + freight + labor + venue fees + storage =....?

Ah yes, that's right. The books don't magically transport themselves into other people's collections, after you take your cut, do they...?

(thumbs u

I could say something doltish like "you've obviously never dealt with selling bulk lots, have you?" but since I don't know, I'll just figure you've forgotten all these details if you have.

There were some great deals there, and very little competition. Most lots seemed to have ten or less bids on them. I already regret not spending ten times the two grand I did. I've commitments for half my outlay for about a fifteenth of the product,

have a $200 offer on an item I paid $17 for, and another of $150 for an item I paid $50 for. Within a week, I'll have my money back and be sitting on some 75 slabs and 2,000 SA/BA books, plus some nice artwork and hopefully a working scanner.

Oh really...?

How much did it cost to get the stuff to you...?

How much did it cost you to get to the stuff...?

After it's all over, what will your HOURLY wage be...?

(thumbs u

lol

Oh....and one more thing....

Lots and lots and lots...and lots.....and lots...of comic book dealers went out of business in the 90's and 2000's because they said exactly the same thing, and totally ignored the bottom line..until, of course, they couldn't anymore...

(thumbs u

Sounds like you did well Shad. I know Bronzilla mentioned he picked up roughly 500 boxes of books. A thread in Comic Art mentioned someone else here picking up 800+ boxes.

For sure, I regret not taking advantage but the logistics of moving truckloads of material from auction to south florida made me think better of it. I personally have dealt in bulk deals (as in trading 100's of long boxes) via setting up at shows in my area for years, and have never seen a deal like this before. These were not picked over long boxes of drek, but alpha ordered boxes of vast store stock, in the single worst run auction I have ever seen. The silver age and keys were not picked out, they were sitting in runs from what I am hearing from buyers.

Hope one of the mega buyers chimes in when they have a chance after they gather their composure from cackling over their windfall.

lol

lol

I may not have much of future, but I have one hell of a past.... :)

$127?

$127 X 1.13 = $143

$143 + freight + labor + venue fees + storage =....?

Ah yes, that's right. The books don't magically transport themselves into other people's collections, after you take your cut, do they...?

(thumbs u

I could say something doltish like "you've obviously never dealt with selling bulk lots, have you?" but since I don't know, I'll just figure you've forgotten all these details if you have.

While I agree with RMA in theory, at this price it is nearly impossible not to make a profit.

Heck, if that lot sold for $127, you could - without any labor - donate them directly to a charity and take a tax writeoff at a nominal valuation of 25 cents per book.