• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the worst thing that could happen?

44 posts in this topic

This!!!! ... a true story? Looks like it.

From Craigslist - Craigslist posting READ IT HERE

original post text ...

Memorial weekend (Friday) I had a yard sale where I sold my son's comic books for $1 each. When he arrived at my house, he was more than devastated. I didn't know that he was holding on to them and that his estranged father had given them to him when he was a child and around 15 yrs ago. He hardly has anything from his father, and I don't think he'll ever forgive me. I have been crying for days now, and I don't know how I can possibly ever be forgiven or make it up to him. I am begging anyone who bought them to please return them. I destroyed part of my son's past and his future, and I had no idea the extent of the damage that I would cause my son and the relationship between us. I beg of you to PLEASE do the right thing if you are one of the people who bought the comics.

The yard sale was in ABQ NE Heights near Indian School and Eubank on Glorieta St. The most important comics missing are old X-MEN, one specifically is x men 1st edition, vol. #1 (1963), which is the very first x men ever printed and released. YOU CAN BE A REAL-LIFE SUPERHERO TO A KID, receive national (and quite possibly international) recognition, more than likely make loads of money through media interviews, and give real hope to everyone who hears that super people with morals and quality characteristics still remain amongst us.

Sincerely and thank you,

Valerie

That would be nice, but the buyers are under no moral obligation to return them, and would be fools if they disclosed who they were if they didn't return them.

They paid the asking price. Sad, but that's the way life goes.

How many stories like this haunt every comic collector to some degree or another? Just think of all the boxes of Silver and Golden Age that's been thrown out over the years by mothers who just didn't know any better. One of the ever present perils in our hobby, I suppose.

Just a possibility,

What if she sold them because the kid's father is "estranged." Maybe she didn't know how much they meant to him, because he was always afraid to talk about them to her because of the hatred his mother might hold for his father. I wonder if she even thought twice about selling stuff her ex gave to their son.

This is probably not the case, but would be selfish to say the least.

How many stories like this haunt every comic collector to some degree or another? Just think of all the boxes of Silver and Golden Age that's been thrown out over the years by mothers who just didn't know any better. One of the ever present perils in our hobby, I suppose.

If the mothers didn`t throw them out they would be as valuable as 1990`s comics.

In fact if the mothers threw out comics in the 1990`s they would have more value. ;)

Good luck!

You are going to need it...the other posters are most likely right,your phone will not be ringing off the hook with people wanting to return them...i'd be looking on ebay for the books being sold as an "estate find" or "garage sale find"..you may get lucky...especially the x-men 1.

My guess is that the story is 100% wildly_fanciful_statement and the woman is just an attention whore looking for some sympathy. She can't be happy with her life unless she's making everyone believe she's miserable.

My guess is that the story is 100% wildly_fanciful_statement and the woman is just an attention whore looking for some sympathy. She can't be happy with her life unless she's making everyone believe she's miserable.

My mother is one of those people...hence my post about her doing it on purpose.

I think you're probably right. Still would suck if she was telling the truth though

If this is true that would really suck.

I went to a local thrift store one time, Value Village, to see under the protective glass a binder of baseball cards in an identical binder to mine. Upon opening the binder my stomach sunk when I realized they were in alphabetical team order and not numerical.

"Oh no she didn't"

I quickly drove to my parents house imagining my mom dropping off all my hockey, baseball cards etc. :o

Luckily they were all still tucked away :)

I guess some other local kid bought the same binder and arranged them the same way as me doh!