• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Pre-Robin Tec Club
18 18

5,128 posts in this topic

My Pre-Robin Tec Run (Batman covers only)

P9280001.jpg

you're a stud C...is that my old 31 you got from Harley?
I believe it is...and that is one of my old tec 27s...dern book looks like a 9.0, but has a weird non pressable deep bend in the book (doesnt break color, but too thick to press out matt n told me), that it made it a great deal for Fish!

Yes, the #31 is the "Harley" book (we exchanged some PM's a few years back about it, remember? -- going to send it in for grading soon). And of course, who could complete any Mega-run without the help of the Gator man -- many, many thanks to him and his decency, fairness and patience, can't say enough about him!

(thumbs u yep, Rick has supplied me with some nice books over the years as well! I do remember Fish, glad you were able to get that 31. LMK what the grade and PQ ends up being--curious to see if it turns out the same from 3 1/2 years ago :grin:

P9280005.jpg

I can only begin to imagine what it must feel like to own a copy of Detective Comics #27. It's a book so legendary, so important to our hobby, that I would be thrilled beyond belief to own just a single non-Batman page.

Yours is not only complete, but has its cover, and is about as sharp as any collector could ever hope for. This to me is an example of restoration gone very VERY well. It also presents so well within the CGC slab; you must be one proud owner. :cloud9:

I don't want to sound overly cheesy, but could you describe for those of us who have yet to (and might never) own a Tec #27, what the feeling must be like to finally have the privilege to own a book of that magnitude?

Sorry, but cheesy is what you'll get -- how about owning a book you want to just look at and hold anytime you are within 100 yards of where it lies ?? How about picking it up in the holder so gently as if you were picking up the actual book, not wanting to damage it, what about wanting to sleep with it under your pillow every damn night an.................OK, sorry, too much information.

(worship)

That's how anyone would be. :cloud9:

My Pre-Robin Tec Run (Batman covers only)

P9280001.jpg

you're a stud C...is that my old 31 you got from Harley?
I believe it is...and that is one of my old tec 27s...dern book looks like a 9.0, but has a weird non pressable deep bend in the book (doesnt break color, but too thick to press out matt n told me), that it made it a great deal for Fish!

Yes, the #31 is the "Harley" book (we exchanged some PM's a few years back about it, remember? -- going to send it in for grading soon). And of course, who could complete any Mega-run without the help of the Gator man -- many, many thanks to him and his decency, fairness and patience, can't say enough about him!

(thumbs u yep, Rick has supplied me with some nice books over the years as well! I do remember Fish, glad you were able to get that 31. LMK what the grade and PQ ends up being--curious to see if it turns out the same from 3 1/2 years ago :grin:

Yeah, I am very curious, especially that PQ issue we both were questioning....

good questions :popcorn:

Rick -- you could shed more light on this than me , if you'd like to chime in

I bought the book slabbed, but it was a very nice job...not "franken" ext from what I could see, just normal accumulation of defects repaired/replaced... and, as fish will tell you, appears nicer than assigned grade...probably in the 3.0 range before resto (thumbs u

I bought the book slabbed, but it was a very nice job...not "franken" ext from what I could see, just normal accumulation of defects repaired/replaced... and, as fish will tell you, appears nicer than assigned grade...probably in the 3.0 range before resto (thumbs u
i would have left as a 3.0 unrestored, but looks nice :)

3.0ish = 250-300K

apparent 7.0 PLOD = 50K

hm

3.0ish = 250-300K

apparent 7.0 PLOD = 50K

hm

I would have left it as a 3.0, but that is hard to say without seeing what the book looked like.

As a side note 7.0 PLOD aren't 50K anymore more like 75K++.

James G

3.0ish = 250-300K

apparent 7.0 PLOD = 50K

hm

I would have left it as a 3.0, but that is hard to say without seeing what the book looked like.

James G

Hmm ...with all due respect didnt the last 7.0 moderate (trimmed) go for approx. 50K just a few moons ago (at Heritage) ?? (shrug)

3.0ish = 250-300K

apparent 7.0 PLOD = 50K

hm

James G

Hmm ...with all due respect didnt the last 7.0 moderate (trimmed) go for approx. 50K just a few moons ago (at Heritage) ?? (shrug)

I have no scientific, logical analysis to back up this belief, but I just "feel", if you will, that the stigma associated with PLOD comics will lessen with time, where a 3.0 unrestored vs. a 7.0 PLOD (same book) will not be the 250K vs. 75K difference it is today, rather will be "closer" in price/value -- well the only "logic" is that I just don't understand why the $$ wouldn't be closer -- if same book, intact, just the disclosed acts performed on it like sealing, cleaning, reinforcing, colour touch, so big deal, why such a difference -- just doesn't "make sense" to me --- not by a "factor of 4" type of sense, anyway

I sold a 3.0 almost 2 years ago for $110,000...

my guess is that this book was restored more than 10 years ago, back when it was "beneficial" to restore a 3.0 to a 7.0 (or VF, etc)...

now, while I do think there was a bargain to be had at the last heritage auction, since then a 4.5 ext tec 27 sold for almost 70K, and I know that a 6.0 slight (non reversable) had an offer of 125K turned down...

the days of 50K plods' are gone, I suspect...

just like I believe 90-100 K is the entry point on virtually any restored action 1, I feel that 75-80K is the entry point on virtually any restored tec 27 these days...am I right (shrug) only time and a few sales will tell (thumbs u

my guess is that this book was restored more than 10 years ago, back when it was "beneficial" to restore a 3.0 to a 7.0 (or VF, etc)...

now, while I do think there was a bargain to be had at the last heritage auction, since then a 4.5 ext tec 27 sold for almost 70K, and I know that a 6.0 slight (non reversable) had an offer of 125K turned down...

just like I believe 90-100 K is the entry point on virtually any restored action 1, I feel that 75-80K is the entry point on virtually any restored tec 27 these days...am I right (shrug) only time and a few sales will tell (thumbs u

75-80K entry point :pullhair: Say it ain't so.. :sorry:

Wasnt it an 8.5 Ext. that went for almost 70K? I didnt notice a 4.5 going for that?

3.0ish = 250-300K

apparent 7.0 PLOD = 50K

hm

James G

I have no scientific, logical analysis to back up this belief, but I just "feel", if you will, that the stigma associated with PLOD comics will lessen with time, where a 3.0 unrestored vs. a 7.0 PLOD (same book) will not be the 250K vs. 75K difference it is today, rather will be "closer" in price/value -- well the only "logic" is that I just don't understand why the $$ wouldn't be closer -- if same book, intact, just the disclosed acts performed on it like sealing, cleaning, reinforcing, colour touch, so big deal, why such a difference -- just doesn't "make sense" to me --- not by a "factor of 4" type of sense, anyway

I hope you are not right. You see - I have a few books to scoop up before the fog lifts and reality rears its ugly head.