• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beckett SI Grading - How Will This Impact CGC

28 posts in this topic

rumors where about 5 years ago that beckett was going to enter the comic grading market, i guess they'll pass on comics and just stick with SI.

OR they'll start with SI then move to comics... hm

That's what I was thinking. Ease in slow.

rumors where about 5 years ago that beckett was going to enter the comic grading market, i guess they'll pass on comics and just stick with SI.

I don't think CGC would have much to worry about if Beckett starts to grade comics.

A company with no background in a niche market overtaking a company with a stranglehold. And while anything can happen in a capitalist society, in this case, it's a real long shot.

That would be like Coca Cola worrying about news that Honda plans to introduce a new soft drink.

I don't think CGC would have much to worry about if Beckett starts to grade comics.

A company with no background in a niche market overtaking a company with a stranglehold. And while anything can happen in a capitalist society, in this case, it's a real long shot.

That would be like Coca Cola worrying about news that Honda plans to introduce a new soft drink.

Honda (and Toyota) was nothing 30-35 years ago. They were importers of funny looking cars that nobody wanted. We used to make fun of them. How are they doing today? I'd say anything is possible with a strong business plan.

Honda (and Toyota) was nothing 30-35 years ago. They were importers of funny looking cars that nobody wanted. We used to make fun of them. How are they doing today? I'd say anything is possible with a strong business plan.

Very true. They would just have to work harder and/or offer things CGC doesn't. Say onsite grading at shows for moderns, including SS books. Maybe hire someone like Campbell/Lee/McFarlane to be at their booth doing signatures. If you drop your books off for SS grading you don't have to wait in line and you are guaranteed a signature. Would be tempting to me.

If they could offer a stringent grading service at a lower price than CGC with a comparable holder and a BIGGER FLASHIER hologram then yeah they could probably compete. I think they'd have to offer some sort of promotion where submitters got free grades for the first year they were open or something like that, but once you've got Beckett graded books floating around and there's no question that the grading is being done in someone's mom's basement then yes they can compete.