• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst condition books!

85 posts in this topic

What is your very worst condition book? And what's the story behind it, if there is one?

When I first started getting into the hobby, I went to a nearby comic convention (only a small one, in fact you could barely call it a convention. More of a sale, books and VHS tapes were being sold too), nearby Leeds with my dad. I'd have been around 14 maybe 15 at the time. I was looking for a comic with a typical horror cover (I had graveyards in mind at the time I remember!) and came across a completely BATTERED copy of Mister Mystery #1 (the hand coming out of the grave cover) - I remember not being too impressed with the title, but the cover riveted me, and I'm certain I was only allowed it because it was so cheap owing to its awful condition!

The pages are still supple to this day, and it's still fully readable. But it has extensive tape repairs down the spine, lots of tape on interior pages - tears etc. The cover had been detached and re-stapled and the book even has two small pieces of paper on both corners of the spine covering the staples for some bizarre reason!

It looks a total mess, but like I said it's fully readable, still pretty solid, strong and supple enough and it will probably always hold a special place in my heart due to the fact that it was my first pre-code and a gift from my dad.

I think it was about £10 if I remember correctly. That should give you an idea as to the general condition of this thing! I'll get some pics of it and post them - prepare to cringe!!

What's your worst condition comic, and is there a story behind it? Pics if possible!

These are my worst condition books.

My Detective #27 and rare single staple Action Comics #1.

Oh the ravages of time... :cry:

staple%20icon.jpg

whatthe8.jpg

It was free.

I wish my Mister Mystery #1 looked that good. :P

Where did you get it?

It was given to me by a board member because it is sort of related to Moon Knight. It has Goon Knight in it which is making fun of Moon Knight.

Here is one of my worst. I don't remember where I got it though. With a cover price of 8p I would guess my parents got it at an Antique shop in England or on the base. I wouldn't have picked it up myself.

Marvel_Spider-Man_Comics_Weekly_117.jpg