• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Teen Titles (Silver Age)

409 posts in this topic

Just arrived from eBay. A CGC 9.2, it's now been returned to full "comic book" status.

Patsy and Hedy #96 • October 1964 • July 1964 newsstand

PH96FOct64.jpg

Hedy does her best to frustrate Patsy's career goals but fate lends an unexpected hand.

PH96p12-13.jpg

Cool. Looks like a comic book version of AMC's MAD MEN!

And isn't that a great line, "Excuse me ... I have an awful headache!" :applause:

I posted this initially in the Group Thread but also thought it would be of interest for teen title fans.

A variation on the group theme. A collection of teen title colophons from 1963-64.

The character box on the Marvel teen titles differed in a subtle way from the superhero or western titles. A superhero's or gunfighter's costume had set colours where fashion and whimsy could dictate the colour of Millie's, Patsy's, Hedy's or Kathy's dress.

TeenColophons.jpg

Patsy and Hedy #91 • December 1963 • September 1963 newsstand

An addition to the collection courtesy of Dale Roberts. A very fine Al Harley Cover with four planes of perspective.

PH91FDec63.jpg

No September issue would be complete without Back-to-School fashions. :grin:

PH91Fashion.jpg

Millie the Model #121 • July 1964 • April 1964 newsstand

MtM121FJul64-1.jpg

Millie goes to Hollywood because the life of a model is too much the same grind day after day. However, she finds the life of a star to be far more constrictive than that of a model so she returns to the glamourous world of fashion. Oh, what a minute, it was all a dream. :blush:

Perhaps fans of film can ID the stars. I think Elvis and Liz are easy but the other two are more challenging. Perhaps, Cary Grant and ?.

MtM121Panel.jpg

House ads are a perennial favourite of mine.

MtM121HouseAd.jpg

Cool thread guys! Despite collecting comics for 30+ years I've never paid much attention to this genre of books. I recently started putting together a set of all the Marvel 25¢ giants which of course has quite a few of these books. It's been fun getting some of these issues that I'm not familiar with especially the early "multi-colored" logo Millies. These books, even moreso than the the super-hero books are time capsules of the day.

rodan57 - You have some really nice books there!

Thanks for the compliments. It really is a side of Marvel Comics that's pretty well out of the spotlight (no modeling pun intended).

Al Hartley's work is my favourite, so I have a weakness for the Patsy Walkers that he drew prior to leaving for Archie. Hartley found God in 1967 and also found himself out of work at Marvel. When he turned down more Pussycat "cheesecake" for Martin Goodman's black & white men's magazines, he made the mistake of telling Goodman's his reasons and that was it for him at Marvel. doh!

I fine Stan Goldberg's work to be less three dimensional but with a charm of their own. Goldberg was a hard worker. He did both Millie titles and Patsy Walker (after Hartley's departure) and coloured many of Marvel most iconic covers and interiors.

None other than Nick Caputo has a fine article on Goldberg's contributions.

Stan Goldberg - Prince of the Palette

Millie the Model #130 • September 1965 • June 1965 newsstand

MtM130FSep65-1.jpg

One book-long story revolving around misunderstandings, tales of mystery from the past, and upset lovers. :eek:

Millie letter pages were in the first person narrative voice where many secrets were revealed. (worship)

MtM130Letter.jpg

Can't pass up a good House Ad ...

MtM130HouseAd.jpg

Another Millie.

Millie the Model #119 • March 1964 • December 1963 newsstand

A recent pickup from this weekend's Toronto Comicon. It was a good show: this comic courtesy of Harley Yee and the opportunity to meet Charisma Carpenter. :grin:

MtM119FMar64.jpg

The teen issues always had different ads and back covers -- some being quite interesting reflections of the tenor of their times.

MtM119RMar64.jpg

One of the additional highlights of this issue is a self-portrait of Stan Goldberg who draws himself as a fine artist for whom Millie models.

MtM119Goldberg.jpg

A far more recent image of Mr. Goldberg.

StanGoldberg2008.jpg

Another Millie.

Millie the Model #119 • March 1964 • December 1963 newsstand

A recent pickup from this weekend's Toronto Comicon. It was a good show: this comic courtesy of Harley Yee and the opportunity to meet Charisma Carpenter. :grin:

[One of the additional highlights of this issue is a self-portrait of Stan Goldberg who draws himself as a fine artist for whom Millie models.

MtM119Goldberg.jpg

hm. Does this denote a "First Silver Age tryout for Venus"? notation in the Guide?

If the Guide can mention the Acrobat as Cap in Strange Tales #114, why not this?

Perhaps fans of film can ID the stars. I think Elvis and Liz are easy but the other two are more challenging. Perhaps, Cary Grant and ?.

MtM121Panel.jpg

First guess is Vince Edwards, AKA "Ben Casey."

vince-edwards-c1.jpg

Or maybe Tony Curtis?

And I go back and forth between Cary Grant or Rock Hudson.

Okay, so I just posted this in General in Speedy D's thread, but had originally intended to post it here. I might stick it up in the OA Forum, too, just so the Old Boy Snobs can snicker. lol

I was thrilled to get the chance to go to NY this past weekend and meet Stan Goldberg. He’s currently working on a Three Stooges comic and was pretty enthused about it. Here’s a photo of him and a Millie sketch he did for me.

StanGoldberg.jpg

Millie.jpg

This thread should not be on page #3!!! I love these books! lol

Just got this one. Really hard book to find! Real glad I can stop looking for one! Thats the hardest part of trying to put together every book from a company for years at a time. The books that you never see, that you need. This book has bothered me for years because I never really saw one for sale. Then you start thinking people are going to start to understand just how rare they are...and then you will be going against other people who want it bidding. lol

2012-04-18165447.jpg[/img]

A couple of pick-ups today:

MTM_98045.jpg

PWFP_1044.jpg

...and of course, BAF, I found a Millie #100! What are the odds. It's trashed, though, yours is better.

You found one? Nice! I still need a Millie # 97 and 106 for my set. Cool books!

This thread now falls to page 4. :cry: Come on guys!

Millie The Model #106. Some clown punched a hole though the entire book. :sick: I could not find a copy for this book for a long time. This is the 2nd to last book I need for the Millie run from #94 1/1960 to #207 12/1973. Just need #97 to have that run complete. :headbang:

millie106.jpg[/img]