• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My time with #1

29 posts in this topic

Those of you who know me, know I really like fiction house books. My favorite run, of course, is Planet Comics. It is such a classic title with Planet Comics #1 being the ultimate classic sci-fi book. I had never seen one in person............until the other day. I had recently talked to Jeff (CGC Boards: cheetah) and he had just purchased THE highest graded 9.4 Planet Comics #1. He was supposed to receive it in the mail while I happened to be near his hometown for a conference with my work. I humbly requested to see if I could take a look at it in person since I was going to be about 15 minutes away from his hometown. We agreed to meet at his local comic shop. As I was leaving town, we met at the comic shop. We talked for a minute after I entered the shop and he pulled the #1 from a manilla envelope. I could hardly believe my luck standing there looking at a superb Planet #1. I just stared at it for what seemed like an eternity. It was truely something else.

After I came out of my initial excitement starefest, Jeff and I talked for a while about family, the comic shop, comics, etc. It was a great visit. My boss was riding back with me from the conference, so I asked her to take a picture of us with the book. It is pictured below. It was a great day.

It was great seeing a Planet Comics #1, but upon reflection about that day a couple weeks ago it was even better talking to a fellow collector like Jeff. In a way, it reinforces for me the great tool we have here to be members of this board to make friends and connect about things we really like through comics.

My hats off to Jeff(cheetah)for showing me a great book and for a great conversation.

I am pictured on the left, Jeff on the right, and the awesome book in the center.

f84f4eb3.jpg

Thanks for sharing the story and the pic! It's nice to put a face to Cheetah, a soon to be ex-SA collector our resident Fiction House fanatic. :shy:

It's amazing how many great collectors there are out there that are willing to share stories and geek out on comics a bit.

Thanks for sharing....now I know what the Cheetah looks like........fast at getting his prey of sweet GA books.

It was really good to meet up with you, Kelly. It's great to meet up with guys who share a common interest in comics, especially when it is the same title. I can't believe you boss was gracious enough to stop at a comic book store on the way home!

My boss is really nice. I asked her about stopping and she was pretty cool about it. I think deep down she knew she owed me since she asked me to stop at a zappos shoe outlet a couple weeks back while in Shepherdsville.