• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking to make the plunge into Golden Age, but where ?

25 posts in this topic

I have always said that if I got back into comics, (I was into OA for about 5 yrs) that I would focus on GA. But the problem has been what it still is....I don't know where to start ! (shrug)

I certainly can't hang with the Gators of the collecting world, but I love the early Batman stuff....How do you make choices ? - There are so many titles, genres and sub categories, I don't know which direction to go. With SA, it's easier. You can focus on keys and nostalgia as your guide. Plus they are affordable. Then to focus on GA "keys" is :cry: worthy !

I need some advice, especially from those that are recent converts to GA collecting.

Start with:

1) do I like Super-Hero or not

2) do I want books from the premiere publishers or not

3) do I only want the main title or not

and 4) why do I even want a focus anyway?

I have always said that if I got back into comics, (I was into OA for about 5 yrs) that I would focus on GA. But the problem has been what it still is....I don't know where to start ! (shrug)

I certainly can't hang with the Gators of the collecting world, but I love the early Batman stuff....How do you make choices ? - There are so many titles, genres and sub categories, I don't know which direction to go. With SA, it's easier. You can focus on keys and nostalgia as your guide. Plus they are affordable. Then to focus on GA "keys" is :cry: worthy !

I need some advice, especially from those that are recent converts to GA collecting.

You can do time payments on big purchases from most of the major dealers, and if Batman is what you like, there's a ton of them out there on eBay, at dealers websites, on these boards, etc. And they aren't that expensive unless you want super high grade copies.

Start with:

This is a big one - even if you like GA Superhero books, but not exclusively. While there are plenty of expensive non-superhero books, and still some affordable superhero books, the bang for the buck in other genres is generally substantially greater. Even "key" books in other genres (more classic covers than 1st issues), are suddenly affordable when compared to Superhero keys.

You will get a ton of advise from folks about what to do, but I would say if you are asking for what to do, then the answer is simple, do nothing. You are not ready to buy and if someone gives you a cool idea what to collect, you will be selling what you buy in the near term at a loss. I would suggest this, look through the Gerber Guides to see what appeals to you. See if you can buy reprints to see if the interiors are any good. Once you decide what to go for, then start buying slowly to make sure it sticks. Comic collecting is strongly based on a fickled collector, changes what they buy on an almost daily bases, in large part driven by getting the "wow that's cool reaction from their fellow collector. Don't fall into that category.

Good luck my man !

I got into Golden Age comics about a year ago after 10 or so years of being completely out of comics. I would go through the Gerbers, GA posts on these boards and look through Comiclink, Heritage and Metro websites to get some ideas on what may interest you, then start fine tuning from there. The first 80 or so issues of CBM were a great wealth of information and fun to read. I jumped in a little too soon and kept selling things I bought early on because my interests changed as I kept getting new info and seeing new books. I would definitely wait on major purchases until you at least have looked through a lot of different types of GA books. There's all kinds of cool stuff out there. Learn how to check for restoration as soon as possible.

I'm a pretty recent convert to collecting GA having only really plunged into buying some books back in FEB/MAR 2009. Here are some of my thoughts and initial experiences.

1. Figure out what you're interested in before buying.

As others mentioned, the Gerber Photo Journals are quite helpful in this regard. I'd also recommend spending some time perusing this particular section of the forums. LOTS of great info and pictures to be seen and found. This place will also give you a very good feel for what the market can feel like.

2. Determine what your price points are as well as grade standards.

Hint: Unless you're Daddy Warbucks or a low grade collector, you may need to check your SA-CA comic collecting standards at the door in exchange for slightly softer standards. Otherwise, it can be even more pricey. I also think it will help you better figure out what your grail books are.

2A. I think spending some time on point 1 & 2 will help keep your collection focused and satisfying. This way, you don't feel like you've overspent on something you aren't sure you'll keep. While I do believe I'm a pretty focused comic collector, I'd say my GA collection (maybe 10-12 books total) is especially focused.

3. Where to Buy?

With only one exception, I've purchased all of my GA books off of the forums. There's probably a good reason for that. It probably has to do with trust issues ;)

here is what you do...you come to SDCC, proceed directly to booth 1206 ...you close your eyes and you ask to buy the MOST expensive book on the wall ...problem solved :cloud9:

here is what you do...you come to SDCC, proceed directly to booth 1206 ...you close your eyes and you ask to buy the MOST expensive book on the wall ...problem solved :cloud9:

lol i agree

Start with:

If your answer is yes, great, collect them. If your answer is no, don't. The only exception is if you are investing as well as collecting and hoping to turn a large profit. Then "blue chip" books like Superman, Batman, Captain America, Marvel Mystery, Wonder Woman and such, is where the "investors" have done very well (if they bought them correctly).

See my 1st response.

Again, see my first response.

I believe a focus is important. That said, a focus can be anything from favorite character(s), to favorite covers, to special types of comics (GGA, WW2, etc.) or even more direct cover collecting like race cars, parachuting (sp?), poker/cards, severed heads and other things you might enjoy. Anything that you will have fun searching for at shows or online, showing to friends, and love looking at.

Most important.

1: Before diving in, buy the Gerber guides and spend a few days enjoying them.

2: Don't worry about "keeping up with the Joneses". Let the folks who want to play my toys are bigger than yours, play that game. Unless, of course, that's what your into, and then, go for it!

3: There is nothing wrong with buying restored books if the price is right and the work is done well. You can get some great bargins, if you don't mind restoration.

4: Stay within you budget.

5: Keep it fun!

Steve, Greg, Forrest and the others,

Thanks so much for the insight/advice. I actually have the Gerbers GA journals, so i am all set there...I think I will do just what was recommended. Go through there and see what is appealing.

I have some ideas in mind, so I am explore those things. I won't sell the stuff I already have, being I really want the books in my collection. I just think I will branch out some towards the GGA, EC books and Joker covers from 1940s and 50s.

Good luck with the foray into the GA, Mike. What you will likely find is that for the same amount you would spend on a cover/more desirable piece of OA you can pick up one or more nice looking GA books on your want list.

The ECs are fun to put together and they do not cost an arm and a leg to acquire. The only problem can be finding a nice looking copy of high demand covers (like CSS #22) when you want one.

In any case, good luck. :wishluck:

then pack up early, shoot some 3s, and fellowship over burgers/coke zeros :applause:

Come to my house and I'll show you why you need a focus. I was looking for a particular book this weekend and realized there are ten different rooms/closets that have comics in them (and one of them was the kitchen :screwy:).

101360.jpg.983a378d388c96695ace8ccf0ddaf9ec.jpg

101361.jpg.820178f2896abd53208d6a2c025f9205.jpg

101362.jpg.97f0e327864b5f04c861a10123eb6fe2.jpg