• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC vs. PGX

55 posts in this topic

No, this isn't another thread about which one is better. Well, not really. I have half a dozen books I had slabbed by PGX back in my naive youth. I recently cracked them out and sent them to CGC and just picked them up at the PO today. Thought people might be interested in the differences. All of these books were bought by my dad so I knew ahead of time there was no restoration - this is strictly about grading.

FourColor159-3.jpg

FourColor159BC.jpg

FourColor159CGC.jpg

Hmm, so far it looks like PGX takes the front into account a lot more than the back.

He may not know you're supposed to grade the back too. :makepoint: Those first two books arent even close.

DRX

While I was of course hopeful that they would come back as high from CGC I knew in my heart that at least a few of them wouldn't. Not that anyone needed any more reason to avoid PGX slabs.

When purchasing PGX slabs, you treat it the same as buying a raw book. I have made some nice purchases that way.

That's how I feel. Just a raw book in a nice holder.

Sometimes I'll also use the PGX grade as a reference. It may be the grade noted or it may be up to 1.5 grades lower than noted.

Obviously I try to stay away from PGX whenever possible, but sometimes its nice to buy a book and then crack it or crack and send to CGC!

it is no secret that I have had 0 % luck with pgx to cgc...in every case the pgx book was

1)overgraded

2)pq was wrong (cream to ow were really slightly brittle ,etc)

3)resto missed

I will NOT buy a pgx book under almost any circumstance

Actually, one thing I did notice was that out of these 6 books, CGC actually assigned higher PQ to half of them. Don't know how subjective PQ is, but thought that at least in these cases it was pretty close.