• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC vs. PGX

55 posts in this topic

Mike and Dan

Did you crack them out of the PGX cases before subbing them? I have four PGXers that I want to sub. I've heard it is better to leave them encased for shipment protection and enclose a note to CGC allowing them to crack it open and grade it.

Thanks

Based on my experience a couple of years ago, the best PGX books to crack and send to CGC for a nice bump are late Silver through Bronze Age books. For whatever reason, there was a time period (2006) where PGX was quite a bit harder on books from this era than CGC. In early November 2006 I purchased a small OO hoard of second tier Marvel and DC books and the owner had submitted a lot of them to PGX, and I did the same with another 60 books to flip them during the post Xmas rush (CGC would not have gotten them back in time). After this first listing, I sent in the remaining unsold books and a bunch of raw "maybes" to CGC. All of the PGX books were bumped up by 1 to 2 grades without pressing, and some even by 3. Basically, the PGX 9.0s were CGC 9.4 (with a couple of 9.2 stragglers), the 9.2s became 9.4 and a couple of 9.6s, and the 9.4s all bumped up to 9.6 with one or two 9.8s. All of the raw books that I was leery about submitting to CGC based on the PGX results ended up coming back from Sarasota as 9.2 - 9.6 (9.4 on average) as well.

I have chatted with a couple of other boardies about this, and they agreed that the 2006 late Silver and Bronze Age books are good ones to go after for a grade bump without pressing. If I recall correctly, PGX has the grading date on those old slabs as well.

I cracked them out, re-bagged, and sent them in. Probably would have just left them in the holder if I'd thought of it. Any option where I handle the books less is a good one. (thumbs u

Thanks guys. Good point on taking a closer look at them, Mike. These are not high dollar books that I have (around $200-$400/book). They are mid grade GA books that I bought to fill in some runs - a couple hard to find at least for me. I always wonder why someone would send them to PGX as I think they are trying to hide something - so needless to say, a little worried about it, especially with some undisclosed restoration.

I always wonder why someone would send them to PGX as I think they are trying to hide something - so needless to say, a little worried about it, especially with some undisclosed restoration.

I don't think that's it at all. Not everyone knows of this Board. PGX is much cheaper and faster. Before I knew any better, my Uncle and I sent over 1000 GA and SA books to PGX

If I only knew :ohnoez:

I always wonder why someone would send them to PGX as I think they are trying to hide something - so needless to say, a little worried about it, especially with some undisclosed restoration.

I don't think that's it at all. Not everyone knows of this Board. PGX is much cheaper and faster. Before I knew any better, my Uncle and I sent over 1000 GA and SA books to PGX

If I only knew :ohnoez:

I think that is true also and a good point. However, it still worries me. I'll post my results afterwards.

it is no secret that I have had 0 % luck with pgx to cgc...in every case the pgx book was

1)overgraded

2)pq was wrong (cream to ow were really slightly brittle ,etc)

3)resto missed

I will NOT buy a pgx book under almost any circumstance

Same here!

I know this posting is in Golden Age but I have to ask a question in relation to the pgx grading. How do you feel about books after 1980 to 1985 sent to PGX. Correct me if Im wrong but Ive never seen any restoration on relatively New books simply cause its not worth it and the grading for almost half the price and alot faster return time seem to make it worthwhile. I figure you cant really screw up something that is not going to have much if not almost any wear on it to begin with, making grading relatively easy both in cost and time efficiency. Any thoughts on this?

I know this posting is in Golden Age but I have to ask a question in relation to the pgx grading. How do you feel about books after 1980 to 1985 sent to PGX. Correct me if Im wrong but Ive never seen any restoration on relatively New books simply cause its not worth it and the grading for almost half the price and alot faster return time seem to make it worthwhile. I figure you cant really screw up something that is not going to have much if not almost any wear on it to begin with, making grading relatively easy both in cost and time efficiency. Any thoughts on this?

Just curious why you're having 1980-85 books graded to begin with? I ask because if you're doing it for prestige factor ("I've got this in 9.8!") then you would add a little more prestige factor by having it in a CGC case versus a PGX case. The logo and design are a little sharper, in my opinion, and since the company has a better reputation, it might be worth the extra expense if you're only doing it for a few books. (I don't know how much more one company costs than the other, though.)