• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Its Official I finally have a new job

35 posts in this topic

Thanks guys, for over a year I have been applying for 5-10 positions a day 5-6 days a week. Calling recruiters, looking up various civil engineering and environmental engineering companies, and joining different networking sites. I truly was a full time job outside of my regular employment. I did have several interviews, but competition is furious out there. I actually turned down two jobs in the past however as they were pretty bad to say the least.

I spoke with others in my industry and most have now left as well, a couple said I was crazy to continue on and try to stay in Land Surveying/ civil engineering inspections. So I went outside the box. The funny thing with this position I received a rejection letter from the bank so I went on LinkedIn found the VP for the recruiting sent her my resume and gave the req number for the position I was not

"Qualified" for and next thing you know I got an interview and then the position.

I never gave up and encourage others to look outside your comfort zone.

A couple items I have learned.

The shotgun blast approach doesn't work.

Keep tweaking your resume I went through between 20-30 versions.

Cover Letters need to be specific to that company.

Learn as much as possible about that company and keeping trying. Do not look desperate, but be confident.

Send out thank emails/ letters after every interview even phone interviews.

Don't give up.

When you are not selected contact the comapny and ask what skills they found you to be lacking and work on them for your next interview.

Finally

Join Networking sites like LinkedIn. When you do join as many groups as you can even those outside you field. You can join up to 500 groups. I found the recruiters only group and joined, they don't seem to check if you are also a recruiter, this allowed me to directly email corporate recruiters and eventually land this position.

I never thought I would be so excited about this type of career change as it is outside my comfort zone, but you learn to adapt and make the most of every opportunity.

That is great news! Still unemplyed now since April of 2008, but always good to hear of a success story! And 3 miles from home makes a real difference. My last job was a 20 minute bus ride straight down the street from me. Really helps create a calmer morning. I remember going back 30 years and more and driving on freeways to work for 45 minutes or an hour. Talk about losing half your energy just getting therre!

Anyway, congrats again!

Congrats. I also just started a new job a few months ago and your commute sounds awesome.

The only thing that makes my commute better is the iPhone actually. I listen to tech podcasts and catch up on the CGC Boards...