• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TMNT and other Eastman/Laird counterfeits - history

20 posts in this topic

To which counterfeits are you referring? I know from the comics, TMNT #1 and #2 both had counterfeits as did the super rare Gobbledygook magazine. Are there any others specifically that you're asking about?

To which counterfeits are you referring? I know from the comics, TMNT #1 and #2 both had counterfeits as did the super rare Gobbledygook magazine. Are there any others specifically that you're asking about?

Both - TMNT and Gobbledygook.

Below have some helpful hints on spotting authentic copies vs. fakes. The first link has many other well-known counterfeits as well. There is a picture of both posted in the "Tatge Collection" thread. I'll repost below.

Gobbledygook & Others

TMNT #1

Real:

100909.jpg

Fake:

100923.jpg

Here's a slabbed counterfeit #2 that needs to be in my collection:

100917.jpg

As for the reason behind them? Same as any other counterfeit.

cha-ching.gif

I'm aware. I guess I was wondering if anyone knew who the culprit was that printed them, sold them, etc. The Motor City thread is what got me thinking about this.

There was a good thread on either the golden or silver age boards about a known comic seller that would sell unrestored comics as restored. It was a really good read, especially to find out the guy did time for selling "signed" baseball cards.

Was kinda looking for something like that :smile:

I think I read that the FBI looked into the TMNT #1 scandal and had a suspect but nothing came of it. I forgot the guys name but it was mentioned and it seemed people knew who he was. If I remember correctly a lot of those fakes were unloaded on one comic shop owner who later found out they were fakes and disclosed it but still sold them for slight markup.

I don't know anything about the Gobbledygooks except that CGC won't slab them because they are supposedly too easy to counterfeit? So who knows how many different versions are floating around and what the range in quality is.

I was probably the first person to "discover" the yellow counterfeit Gobbledygooks back in 1996. The copies I obtained were purchased from Eldorado Comics (on the East Coast in the PA/NJ area), but I don't believe they were the ones distributing them. At that point, I contacted Kevin Eastman and made him aware that there the couterfeits existed. I believe that they may have been created years before that however.

I have seen two versions of the counterfeits - one that was numbered to 500 and one that was numbered to 150. Both had fake signatures which loooked like they were done by the same person.

I never saw anyone who had multiple copies of the books like with the Cerebus #1's. I've only seen sets or individual issues pop up. The last set I saw was at the Philadelphia Wizard con 3 or so years ago. In total, I've heard of less than 10 sets appearing, but it's likely there are many more out there in the hands of people who are unaware of what they have.

Did anyone see copies prior to 1996? If other people purchased them, what part of the country were they found?

Maybe through the power of the internet, we can pinpoint their origin...

I believe that they may have been created years before that however.

This is correct. I have heard about them since at least1990. They may even have been mentioned in an Overstreet Update. If I run across it, I'll scan and post.

Thought yall would appreciate some pics.

Here are my yellows:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v247/JNCOPosterboy/The%20Collection/Comics/GobbledyGook%20First%20Print/Counterfeits/Issue%201/

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v247/JNCOPosterboy/The%20Collection/Comics/GobbledyGook%20First%20Print/Counterfeits/Issue%202/

Aside from the obvious yellow covers, each pages is terribly copies. Many pages are off center and cut off.

The Turtles #1 counterfeits were posted in the Price Guide relatively early on, but not the Gobbledygooks. I fought for years trying to get the listing update and finally succeeded a few years ago when they published pics of the B&W Gobbledygooks that Motor City now owns (the edition with the Iron Man cover).

I'd like to know the history behind why they were produced as yellow when the originals were black and white.

Specualation was so that the counterfeiters could easily identify their own handywork, but that's just speculation. They could have also told people that these were special signed editions that were different than regular editions that were unsigned. I'd love to hear a story of how these were originally marketed.

I'd like to know the history behind why they were produced as yellow when the originals were black and white.

Specualation was so that the counterfeiters could easily identify their own handywork, but that's just speculation. They could have also told people that these were special signed editions that were different than regular editions that were unsigned. I'd love to hear a story of how these were originally marketed.

I'm guessing they were supposed to be special editions. Remember the platinum Batman 497? Also I remember back then when I went to my one and only comic convention all the indy guys had ashcans with different colored covers and different price points. I think if these books were bootlegged around that time that the bootlegger was banking on people willing to pay a premium for a "gold edition" or whatever without asking too many questions. "I have never heard of this..." Of course not, that's how rare it is :o

I'd like to believe they were just wicked retarded. :insane:

I'd like to believe they were just wicked retarded. :insane:

NOMAH!!