• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Make offer

78 posts in this topic

Then don't start by saying this book is worth $225 since you believe it's worth $300. All I am asking from you is self-consistency which would alleviate all inconsistency.

I'm just paraphrasing through a discussion I had with Harvey a couple days ago. I should rephrase it... he believes the market for this book is at best @$225, however it is from his personal collection and he won't sell it for anything less $300 at least. I STILL don't see what the problem is... it's at $500 OR BEST OFFER.... hence best offer... not $500 firm, and even if it was... more power to him and good luck..

I believe it is just a one month listing, first time, and if it doesn't sell he will decide to either put it back in storage or put it in a low reserve auction one time... I could care less what he does and dont care if he sells it for one dollar or one thousand dollars. It's his book, his choice and his store.

Instances of overpriced books are a dime a dozen, don't know why this particular book made a thread.

There's a $1,200 9.8 NYX #3 on CLINK today with a Stan Lee sig( for whatever reason?) My value on that book... $350 ... but who really cares what my value is or what I think the future market for that book is... it's the sellers book and good luck to him...

RMA is spot on....

This is my friend Harvey Doss selling this book. He's a very legit seller. As far as what he told me on pricing this book, it's the second highest graded copy and he doesn't really want to sell it, but he owes me a lot of money so he's doing what he can.

His opinion... the book is worth $225 but he won't sell it for less than $300.. maybe even $350

I am not questioning his legitimacy (but thanks for vouching for him. Its good to know someone who knows someone else ) I'm just more than a bit surprised by the asking price.

Instances of overpriced books are a dime a dozen, don't know why this particular book made a thread.

I am working of a Plas run and have been picking them up on CLINK and Ebay in this and close to this grade for around $160 .....SLABBED. I have a #20 Plastic Man which is the second highest graded copy that I won for only $165 ......so $500 is kind of stunning to me. Makes me wonder ...why list it if you don't want to sell it ? Hoping for lightning to strike I suppose.

I don't haggle well. On ebay if I make an offer the seller doesn't like they can just sit on it for 48 hourrs. I've been left hanging until the offer expired and didn't like it. If a BIN/make offer is much higher than I want to pay I just move on to the next book. :sorry: That being said, it does just take one buyer that has to have a book to make the auction a success.

Good luck on your PMAN run Senormac.. it's got some cool issues for sure... Harvey is a very nice guy and easy to deal with. If you're interested in the book and want to talk to him I will give you his email addy and you guys can talk about it and all that..

I just find it strange as he's run 1,000 NO reserve auctions on the bay over the past year, and as soon as he lists a few books at high prices he's labeled a shyster... which couldn't be further than the truth..

Anywho.. PM me and Ill shoot you over his e-mail addy or phone #... I really shouldn't be talking for him and I've tried to get him to come on the boards for the past year.... maybe you can trade for it... who knows...

as soon as he lists a few books at high prices he's labeled a shyster... which couldn't be further than the truth..

I didn't get "shyster" from the thread.

I got:

"misinformed of actual market value"

"possibly far overvalues this book for personal reasons"

"wasting his BIN fees"

etc.

as soon as he lists a few books at high prices he's labeled a shyster... which couldn't be further than the truth..

I didn't get "shyster" from the thread.

I got:

"misinformed of actual market value"

"possibly far overvalues this book for personal reasons"

"wasting his BIN fees"

etc.

Nor I . I am in no way calling him a shyster, or any name for that matter. I watch the Plas and Police auctions pretty regularly and thought this add was maybe pointing towards something about the old comic book market over all.... and nothing about the man personally. That is all

Good luck on your PMAN run Senormac.. it's got some cool issues for sure... Harvey is a very nice guy and easy to deal with. If you're interested in the book and want to talk to him I will give you his email addy and you guys can talk about it and all that..

Thanks Tsimanga. I think I'll make MY offer and see how it goes from there. If what you say is true.....then I'm sure he will flat out reject it. But at least he will be getting some feedback eh ?

Thanks Tsimanga. I think I'll make MY offer and see how it goes from there. If what you say is true.....then I'm sure he will flat out[font:Arial Black] reject it.[/font] But at least he will be getting some feedback eh ?

:wishluck: hopefuly not...

I get ridiculous offers all the time, and I thank God for the auto-reject feature. People making $50 offers for $700 books is just as retarded as sellers listing items for 2.5 times GPA.

(thumbs u

Well, do you as a dealer ever change your mind on how valuable a book is ? What if $50 is the highest offer you get ? I suppose you would have to get only $50 repeatedly before the price starts coming down eh ?

Well, no, not when GPA for the book is $550, $623, $548, $650....

I don't understand the mentality behind it. It's not as if I'm selling something that consistently sells for $50, and I'm asking $700 for it. Do these people really think that that's a legitimate offer that will be accepted? Do these people think they can walk into a Ferrari dealership and offer $5,000 for a 2010 360 modena Spider, and it'll be accepted..? Maybe.

I've never made a serious offer that was outside of the realm of reason (although I can't say that I've never made a goofy offer on a goofy listing...but they're usually of the type that Paratrooper has fun with.)

If someone's asking $100 for something, and I know it's really only worth $35, I'll make that offer, and explain why I'm making it. It's almost never accepted (and infrequently countered), but at least I can have a clear conscience knowing that it was a FAIR offer, based on market research.

As far as changing my mind on how valuable a book is....that really doesn't enter my mind much. For me, it's what the book is worth to me. For example....I've been asking $3500-$5000 for a Maxx #3 Ashcan, Black....but it's one of only 50 made, and one of only 4 known. I am fully aware that the market doesn't support my asking price. I am fully aware that the market for this book is limited to *maybe* 10-25 people, worldwide (seriously.) I am fully aware that the REAL market price for this book, were it to be auctioned by, say, Comiclink or Heritage, or even eBay, would probably be about $1,000, tops (and that's considering the $510 sale of my #2 Black in 2008.)

But it's essentially irreplaceable. Were I to sell it, I am almost guaranteed to never, ever get another one. So, for me, the offer has to be what I would consider "willing to part with" money. And I don't have a lot of those kinds of items laying around.

On a book that is easily replaceable, like, say, X-Men #127 9.8, which I'd listed at $200 BIN previously, I accepted at $150...or a chunky 25% less than my asking price....because I knew that's really where the market was. Even then, I got a bit of a better price than usual.

So, because I keep a firm handle on market prices, I never have to adjust my asking price TOO much..never so much that I'm consistently getting offers of $50 for my $700 priced item. I'm way too anal to allow something like that.

(thumbs u

lol

Vaughn is the champ of serious offers on all the really serious auctions we find him, when he has free time.

Rich

...why list it if you don't want to sell it ? Hoping for lightning to strike I suppose.

That's an easy one to answer...

You don't *really* want to sell it, but at least make it available in case someone just HAS to have it, price is (relatively) no object.

Nearly everything I own (sentimental items excluded) is for sale at SOME price. My selling price may be tremendously higher than current market...and I'm ok with that. I don't HAVE to sell. But someone just may HAVE to have it, and be willing to pay my "ok, I'll part with it for that much" price.

If it's never listed, you'll never know if you have that kind of buyer.

One more thing...on the few items that I've overpriced, or "overpriced", and people have inqured, I've quite literally pointed them to other, cheaper examples of the same item currently for sale, if possible. Dunno if they appreciate it or not, but if someone CAN buy something cheaper, they should, and I'll wait until or if the market ever comes up to meet me.

Man, what you guys are talking about doesn't really bother me. What's been going on recently with my listings is starting to bother me. I got a $7.11 offer on a 1940s/50s book I had listed at $12. I countered at $9, and got a offer back at $8.

This is a good way to get on my blocked bidder list. (No, not seriously.) I declined that $8 offer and will decline any other offer by that buyer. If he wants it for $12, more power to him. Otherwise I would rather burn it for warmth.

Sounds similar to what happened to me. Book was listed at $11. I offered $7 was countered at $10, countered to $8, and seller recountered at $9.75 which by then the lister / seller had every right to be pissed at me and I am surprised he even counter-offered at $9.75 ... However, I was vindicated since I found a copy for $1.99 final and only bid + under $ 5 shipping on eBay the following week. Still, I'd like to apologize if it was me.

Shame? Who gives a crud? Most people know what they want to pay, and will do so accordingly when making an offer.

At least, that's how I approach it. In fact, the BIN being too high would tend to disuade me from even making an offer, just because the seller seems unrealistic based on his asking price.

+1

I am begining to think that it is common practice to jack the "Buy in Now" price waaaay up in order to shame people into being affraid to "lowball" with the "Make an Offer" option. :sumo:

Example of this

This book lists for around $250 in 8.0 this book is only 7.5 I just think a persons offer is not lowball because of what the seller is asking but because it is FAR below any reasonable fair market value the book might have.

My opinion...... should go for around $200

I have thought the same thing as well. I used to be a crummy negotiator and felt bad about low balling offers. However, I now have no problem offering what I think to be a fair offer - even if it is much lower than their BIN or Offer price. If they get offended, then so be it. It's hard to tell what someone is thinking when they post an initial price.

:juggle:

I am begining to think that it is common practice to jack the "Buy in Now" price waaaay up in order to shame people into being affraid to "lowball" with the "Make an Offer" option. :sumo:

Example of this

This book lists for around $250 in 8.0 this book is only 7.5 I just think a persons offer is not lowball because of what the seller is asking but because it is FAR below any reasonable fair market value the book might have.

I have thought the same thing as well. I used to be a crummy negotiator and felt bad about low balling offers. However, I now have no problem offering what I think to be a fair offer - even if it is much lower than their BIN or Offer price. If they get offended, then so be it. It's hard to tell what someone is thinking when they post an initial price.

:juggle:

I think a lot of these dealers were figuring Bing cashback discount into thier bins, bad news as Bing cashback as of yesterday is gone for good, maybe now that Bing doesn`t pay a discount, maybe these dealers will drop thier outrageous bin prices now. Really trying to sell $1300 dollar books for $2000 most of the time will not work. 2c

If a BIM is way over FMV then I just don't waste my time with an offer and move on to someone else who's pricing more realistically. I've got no problem with making an offer but it's not worth it to me unless the original price is in the same ballpark.

It's the same with the boards. There's a Silver Age book that I'd like but it's priced at about an extra 65% over GPA so it doesn't seem worth getting into negotiations that still won't get down to what I think it should be valued at.

Good question since really, a collectable is only worth what someone will pay for it. I don't see Plastic Man becoming more popular as the years go by, but less and less and less. As the amount of comic book collectors slowly dwindles, the books those who are still around are interested is gonna become narrower and narrower also.

I watched a Police #27 in 9.0 go for only $350 in the last CLINK auction. In the guide its $800 or so. Less than half.......less than half. Couple that together with this market, unless you are a super mainline hero like Superman or Batman or Spiderman or have a Swastika on the cover ..... I can't see these kind of prices holding.

I disagree. If he keeps making appearances in DC animated shows like Batman, Brave & The Bold...and any future Justice League cartoons and so forth, there will eventually be plenty of Plastic Man fans.

Example of this

Does a nice book like this ever go up in value? example maybe you offer $200 for it and maybe in 5 years you can get $250, a big maybe. This is one of those books that is stuck in that zone that you can`t sell it low because it grades too high and can`t sell it high because it grades too low. A lot of comics seem to be like this now hm

But this is like a 9.2 or 9.4 or 9.6 SA. There are plenty of books from this era where the highest grade in the census is 6.5 - 7.5. Whose to say it grades too low? Sellers have tried to get multiples of guide on books like this for years. See, e.g., Metropolis. At the end of the day maybe they accept less. But it's not like there's a long box of 7.5 copies of this book out there.

As for Plastic Man...who knows. As you may recall, he came back in the 80's on TV, so us 30/40 somethings may have some secondary nostalgia (though I don't).