• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF 50 shenanigans on Pedigree?

529 posts in this topic

Ok fine whatever but I think you are missing my point.

Forget what ended his legal career......

Was his attempt to slip a Ewert book (THAT HE KNEW WAS TRIMMED) past CGC not enough to question his ethics as a comic book dealer? (shrug)

Very salient point Chris.

Leaving the disbarment out of the equation, this action here would get most people the tar and feathers.

But, it seems as though since Doug is a "nice guy" and is "good to me" and has "always been nice on the phone" this is overlooked.

hey Arex, don't forget "has some nice books that I need" :makepoint:[/quotE]

Bo.

redneck.png

:hi:

First off, I would like to say that I have never personally purchased books from this Doug character.

But after a Google search of him, I would never ever in a million trillion years consider purchasing anything from him.

A person that consciously rips off senior citizens and the elderly will have absolutely no problem what so ever ripping off a bunch of comic geeks ( myself included ).

He was disbarred for 48 counts of misconduct....................... See Link if you don't believe me. http://www.courts.state.ny.us/reporter/3dseries/2006/2006_00326.htm

Anybody that says hes an OK guy, IMO is no better than he is................

Its funny how proof can be offered about a person and yet there will be some of you that return to this forum in the future whining about how they ripped you off.

I think throwing out a unilateral statement like that is unfair. Some people have a hard time separating the person from the business.

I've talked to Doug on the phone and corresponded via email. As a customer and consignor, he used to take very good care of me. He is a nice guy. It's difficult for some people to separate the nice guy personality part of Doug from some of the shady things he has done.

It's the same reason I hear for people giving Ted a pass for shoddy grading. Whenever the shoddy grading gets brought up, there are a bunch of people on this board that chime in with what a nice guy he is. He IS a nice guy, no doubt. That shouldn't be an excuse to overgrade and get a pass on it. To be fair to Ted, his grading has improved lately based on the last few books I've bought from him although he is still very hit and miss.

Its not unfair for me to judge a person by his past actions. Its all business for me and has nothing to do with him personally. I have never met or talked to him , so therefore I cannot say anything about his personality. If you want this to be business only and how his business is run, then all you have to do is look to see how he ran his previous business. He defrauded people for 16 years in his law practice, 48 counts of misconduct is plenty for anyone to develop an opinion about how he might run any future business.

Anybody that says hes an OK guy, IMO is no better than he is................

Its funny how proof can be offered about a person and yet there will be some of you that return to this forum in the future whining about how they ripped you off.

Oh, so now I am a criminal for buying 5 comic books from the guy. :censored: Ludicrous!

Nope I don't consider you a criminal for buying books from him, however I do think that people like you that continue to purchase from him after learning about his past basically are condoning his past actions.

And just out of curiousity...I gather you have never done business with someone who is an ex-con? I bet you have and didn't know it. Should they be banished and never allowed back into society for paying for their crime? These arguments are childish.

You are probably correct in assuming that I have had dealing with ex-cons in the past and had no idea about their past. As far as I'm concerned they should banished and never allowed back in society. Society would be better off with people like that gone.

AND I DIDN'T SAY HE IS AN OK GUY. I said I had a positive experience buying books from the guy. Learn to read.

I never actually said you personally, I was just making a broad generalization.

I have a bachelors degree in Communications, I would be willing to bet that my reading skills far exceed yours my friend.

If Attila the Hun sold comics, he'd get no grief as long as he had something for sale at the price someone wanted to pay.

Collectors are like crack hos. As long as they get their crack, they don't care where they get it from.

The ends justify the means.

If Attila the Hun sold comics, he'd get no grief as long as he had something for sale at the price someone wanted to pay.

Collectors are like crack hos. As long as they get their crack, they don't care where they get it from.

Its attitudes like this that cause all the problems to begin with....

That's why nobody trusts anybody these days. It is just a sad world we live in.

People should just treat others the way they would like to be treated themselves.

People should just treat others the way they would like to be treated themselves.

Unfortunately the moral focus of our society has changed with the progressive movement.

30 years ago, if someone got screwed in a verbal agreement, the screw-er was damned for going back on his word.

Now, if someone gets screwed in a verbal agreement, the screw-ee gets damned because he was too stupid to get it in writing. Even if he did, depending on which judge hears the case, the screw-er can still walk away without a scratch.

And if the devil himself is selling comic books, he'll have a line of folks waiting to buy them.

And seriously, don't buy books from the Satan just b/c he's giving you a great deal. Not doing so is what separates us from the animals.

Excerpt from the upcoming (yeah right) pedigree book

Comics from the Satan pedigree are unfortunately known for cream to brown pages due to storage in the excessive heat of hell

With all this said...the one dealer I was screwed by and will probably never deal with again nobody says a word about....Metropolis....now that is a company I would prefer to stay away from (especially raw books).

Oh, if you only knew. Give the search feature a whirl sometime.

Brian I'm not downplaying the disbarment at all, my problem if with the how these kinds of threads quickly go down the gutter. Every time one of these threads start people are all to quick to start shooting and then ask questions later, if at all. I'd like to think that most of us would be a little more fair and hear the facts before they start to fling mud, that's all.

I agree mud-slinging is not the way to go...why lower yourself when you simply cut and paste the truth.

In the Matter of Douglas P. Schmell (Admitted as Douglas Paul Schmell), an Attorney, Respondent. Departmental Disciplinary Committee for the First Judicial Department, Petitioner.

"In his report, the referee set forth his findings of fact and conclusions of law, and agreed with the Committee that disbarment was appropriate, citing the intentional conversion of funds of an elderly client to whom settlement proceeds were finally disbursed after almost two years and only after the client's niece threatened to report respondent to the "bar association"; a pattern of misappropriating escrow funds of 22 other clients; multiple instances of commingling personal funds with client funds; and lack of mitigation."

In the Matter of Douglas P. Schmell (Admitted as Douglas Paul Schmell), an Attorney, Respondent. Departmental Disciplinary Committee for the First Judicial Department, Petitioner.

"In his report, the referee set forth his findings of fact and conclusions of law, and agreed with the Committee that disbarment was appropriate, citing the intentional conversion of funds of an elderly client to whom settlement proceeds were finally disbursed after almost two years and only after the client's niece threatened to report respondent to the "bar association"; a pattern of misappropriating escrow funds of 22 other clients; multiple instances of commingling personal funds with client funds; and lack of mitigation."

What's an escrow fund? What types of circumstances dictate that a lawyer control someone's money? Is it usually related to someone dying with or without a will?

I have a bachelors degree in Communications, I would be willing to bet that my reading skills far exceed yours my friend.

[/color]

WOW, a bachelor's degree....Bet again and i'm not your friend.

And if the devil himself is selling comic books, he'll have a line of folks waiting to buy them.

What was address of his website again?

www.comicsfromhell.com (shrug)

Unfortunately the moral focus of our society has changed with the progressive movement.

30 years ago, if someone got screwed in a verbal agreement, the screw-er was damned for going back on his word.

Now, if someone gets screwed in a verbal agreement, the screw-ee gets damned because he was too stupid to get it in writing. Even if he did, depending on which judge hears the case, the screw-er can still walk away without a scratch.

Once again....

Some collectors would crash through a group of preschoolers then step on their own mother's throat just to buy a book off of Hitler with the hope of selling it to Satan for a few extra bucks. :insane:

if you want the thread deleted, just criticize some of the advertisers on the boards meh
They are dorks. :banana:

I think it needs to be a personal attack, as in: Mica, you are a dork. :baiting:

if you want the thread deleted, just criticize some of the advertisers on the boards meh
They are dorks. :banana:

I think it needs to be a personal attack, as in: Mica, you are a dork. :baiting:

OH.... I'd rather not get personal. :sorry:

What's an escrow fund? What types of circumstances dictate that a lawyer control someone's money? Is it usually related to someone dying with or without a will?

As far as I know, the monies related to settlements that Schmell had secured on behalf of his clients. His firm received the payouts and were supposed to deduct their fees/expense and pass on the remainder.

Schmell 'forgot' part 2.

I find it quite intriguing how many self righteous upstanding citizens we have here who would never buy a comic book from anyone who has done any wrong doing.

Regardless, an argument or debate on this matter is pointless. As I pointed out earlier, i'm not so quick to condemn someone as many here seem to be. As it turns out the OP was 100% wrong. And I can feel good that I wasn't one of the sheep who jumped in line to continue to bash someone who clearly is already down for the count in this forum.

People make mistakes and people should be forgiven.

Who am I to judge anyone? Who are you? hm

I don't condone any of the unethical or illegal actions Doug was involved in when he was an attorney. It's horrible to think he was involved in such actions. I feel for the elderly people involved that he supposedly did these things to.

Feel free to bash me for buying comics from him. Perhaps, the next time I buy a comic book from anyone in the sales forum I should do a background check (in addition to commonly asked for references) to see if they have any past improprieties. Because I know we are all 100% innocent on this forum. Nobody here has ever done anything wrong or at least accused of doing anything wrong.

That's why I joined this forum because it is filled with saints. :angel:

This is so true. You forgot to mention that you also often get an earful for not closing the deal before the seller has time to back out of a verbal agreement.

It's known as being Roy'd.

:cry: