• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF 50 shenanigans on Pedigree?

529 posts in this topic

Looks like I was wrong on this book. What looked shady ended up being not shady. I suppose that is the price Doug will have to pay for past behavior. People will jump to the conclusion that shady things are going on if something looks suspicious.

The facts as posted by GPA:

I think the person who started this thread should probably go back and adjust the first post to reflect the facts:

1. The sale is legitimate, I have seen the payment as with all Pedigree sales

2. The buyer is selling it because of a number of reasons

3. Doug is not charging his usual commission on this

4. I know the parties involved

Don't think anything more needs to be said.

Nice book, though by the time it's been put through the websites of the shenanigan corps multiple times, it'll probably be SCS'd into a 5.0. doh!

Chris,

This might have been better placed in the Pedigree thread, where we've already got loads of examples of 'market manipulation'.

Oh, wait a minute... doh!

Sorry, forgot that that one got locked for no reason whatsoever...other than to keep the gravy train rolling. meh

Nice book, though by the time it's been put through the websites of the shenanigan corps multiple times, it'll probably be SCS'd into a 5.0. doh!

I don't actually think it ever travels anywhere. :gossip:

I hope they have the decency to use a different scan each time. :P

STRONGLY agree, GPA should look into removing the sale. This is one of those nosebleed Silver Marvels with a hyperinflated value due to the deep pockets indiscriminately pumping money into comics in 2008/2009...I don't see this book consistently selling for over $10K in the current market. Hyperinflated books from last year are fairly easy to recognize--if value doubled, tripled, or even quintupled from 2008 to 2009 on one to three sales, that's a book that will dip relative to those prices.

If phantom Pedigree results keep diluting GPA's numbers for these low-population Silver Marvels, the service will increasingly become of significantly reduced value. rantrant

Here is another question I have about Doug's practices;

1-How can he charge $40 for a single slab? I get books sent to me for another boardie and i just opened up a SINGLE book from Pedigree with a $40 charge.

Shipping is through FedEx which I have little experience with. However, can any of you who would know better than explain.

Also, as an added bonus is the awesome "Paypal" charge :cloud9: which is patently illegal iirc.

Not that that would bother Doug though

Also, as an added bonus is the awesome "Paypal" charge :cloud9: which is patently illegal iirc.

It's not illegal as in against the law, credit card companies just don't like it for obvious reasons and can revoke a seller's ability to accept credit card payments. If something like that were illegal, I'd really feel like a slave to credit card company lobbyists in this free market economy we have. :eek:

I have always heard that Paypal will not allow you to use a fee to compensate for their service charge. I guess I could be wrong though

You can't do that in ebay but everywhere else seems okay to recoup your costs from pay pal fees

I have always heard that Paypal will not allow you to use a fee to compensate for their service charge. I guess I could be wrong though

They may, I'm not sure, someone verify if they know that PayPal explicitly has that policy for PayPal cash transactions. For PayPal credit card transactions the credit card company's policies against it would apply. It makes sense that PayPal would be against it since some or all of the credit card companies have that same policy. A seller doing it anyway isn't morally, ethically, or legally wrong though, they're just risking their accounts with credit card companies or PayPal. The credit card companies and PayPal don't like it because it creates the idea in the consumer mind that VISA/MasterCard/PayPal equates to added cost, whereas those companies would prefer that thought to only be in the mind of sellers since they're a smaller group that's often locked in anyway.

my little company has been accepting credit cards since the early 90's...I have always had a "regular" price, for which any payment applies, and I have always had a cash discount price, because real world, I want to pass the savings onto my customer if they can pay in such a way as to not induce additional costs... now, for sub $100 items, I don't even distinguish, as it is just a minimal cost of doing business...but, for example, if I am selling a $25,000 comic, if a customer wants to pay with CC/paypal, cool... I "net" $24,250 after fees are paid to the bank...so, I am happy to offer a "cash" price of $24,250 to my customer, saving them some $'s... doesn't benefit me one bit, but often times is worthwhile for them

I have found this to be the best way to handle this issue (versus charging, say a "premium" for using a CC with me)

I don't actually think it ever travels anywhere. :gossip:

oh, i'm too lazy to check the serial # but hasn't it probably visited sunny sarasota?

1-How can he charge $40 for a single slab? I get books sent to me for another boardie and i just opened up a SINGLE book from Pedigree with a $40 charge.

Shipping is through FedEx which I have little experience with. However, can any of you who would know better than explain.

Then why are you dealing with him?

my little company has been accepting credit cards since the early 90's...I have always had a "regular" price, for which any payment applies, and I have always had a cash discount price, because real world, I want to pass the savings onto my customer if they can pay in such a way as to not induce additional costs... now, for sub $100 items, I don't even distinguish, as it is just a minimal cost of doing business...but, for example, if I am selling a $25,000 comic, if a customer wants to pay with CC/paypal, cool... I "net" $24,250 after fees are paid to the bank...so, I am happy to offer a "cash" price of $24,250 to my customer, saving them some $'s... doesn't benefit me one bit, but often times is worthwhile for them

I have found this to be the best way to handle this issue (versus charging, say a "premium" for using a CC with me)

The only major venue I've seen not do that in comics is Heritage. Maybe the credit card companies only try to enforce their policy with high-volume companies? (shrug)

Then why are you dealing with him?

Im not dealing with him Dan. I get a books sent to me for a friend/boardie.

Believe me, I not dealing with Doug, havent dealt with him in close to 2 years, and will not deal with him again.

I've bought several books from Doug, visited his home to pick them up and have had 0 issues. I think this universal condemnation of Doug is a bit overhyped. He has been nice to me but I don't doubt the issues being mentioned