• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My EBAY Nightmare

596 posts in this topic

I don't agree with you. Doubt it's the first time this has happened to you, doubt it'll be the last. You should learn to deal with that

It's not a problem for me, really. There's no laws against being wrong, and there's no laws against onanism. It's perfectly acceptable to engage in both activities here! Enjoy yourself!

Didn't they freeze his paypal account and strand those payments when they put a gun to his head?

I thought that was why he issued refunds and cancelled his future business with eBay/Paypal.

I think your picking over the carcass of a fleeing former eBay seller, which seems to be a trend , nowadays. (shrug)

Most likely true...just bad form to refund and cancel the sale of the books that were already paid for... 2c

I can understand ending the others,and moving them to comiclink,especailly with the low feedback score now.I'm sure bidding would have been low.I know i wouldn't have been bidding on books with a seller who's feedback was blasted with recent feedback saying "won't complete transaction" and is at 90%.

The Paypal issue is mute,i've resolved much larger problems with them in a matter of days thru phone calls,and whatever else needed to be done....

For what it's worth,Ebay is still the cheapest venue to sell large $ items at auction.

Clinks 10% and 30 days to pay will yield him no higher $ in the end.

Just wondering...did you read this thread...?

;)

"Moot"

Didn't they freeze his paypal account and strand those payments when they put a gun to his head?

I thought that was why he issued refunds and cancelled his future business with eBay/Paypal.

I think your picking over the carcass of a fleeing former eBay seller, which seems to be a trend , nowadays. (shrug)

Most likely true...just bad form to refund and cancel the sale of the books that were already paid for... 2c

I can understand ending the others,and moving them to comiclink,especailly with the low feedback score now.I'm sure bidding would have been low.I know i wouldn't have been bidding on books with a seller who's feedback was blasted with recent feedback saying "won't complete transaction" and is at 90%.

The Paypal issue is mute,i've resolved much larger problems with them in a matter of days thru phone calls,and whatever else needed to be done....

For what it's worth,Ebay is still the cheapest venue to sell large $ items at auction.

Clinks 10% and 30 days to pay will yield him no higher $ in the end.

While it is probably too much to expect people to actually read what the OP said before commenting, nonetheless, he did discuss this issue.

Read the whole thread from day 1...still doesn't explain why he refunded a paid sale,with no explanation to the buyer,

Nevermind.

lol

It does explain, in very great detail, why he refunded the sale, WITH an explanation to the buyer.

And as mentioned,he is still bidding on items on Ebay,so he must have at least 1 Paypal account still active,you would imagine.

On top of that,if he is so "over" Ebay,and will not sell thru them any more,and stiffs buyers..then why still be an active buyer thru the same venue that you opened a thread to publicly bash? I don't buy any of it.

Buying on eBay is vastly difference from selling on eBay.

Read the whole thread from day 1...still doesn't explain why he refunded a paid sale,with no explanation to the buyer,i understand the paypal account was frozen,so in un-rational thinking,a quick refund to empty the account doesn't make stiffing a "buyer" right.The transaction could have still gone thru.

In his defense, it does make a certain amount of sense. If your paypal account is locked (meaning you can't get the cash out), would you ship a $900 book in the hopes paypal would make you whole? What would you do if paypal decided there *was* fraud, and refunded the buyer their money? This is not something that's unheard of with paypal.

While it's unfair to the buyer, I'd have done the exact same thing. I'd have done it with a $25 book, never mind $900.

Sure i would...the only reason Paypal would lock an account is A)YOU screwed up. B)A dispute was filed(Lost item or damaged)..CGC graded books,as i know,Paypal won't even go there over a "not as discribed" dispute unless it's damaged,and high $ items are mailed Insured,I WOULD HOPE.

OP was hasty in his decissions..INCLUDING starting this thread.

AAAAAAAACCCCCKKKKKK!!! :eek:

Your posts on this are just frightening. Now listen, Krypto, I like you, and enjoy your posts, so don't think I'm being a dack just to be a dack...but if you think "the only reason" Paypal would lock an account is because of the above two reasons, you've clearly not had a lot of experience dealing with Paypal.

For instance....

Did you know that Paypal has locked accounts in the past because a BUYER paid with a fraudulent credit card?

And do you know that sellers have had 10s of thousands of dollars "locked" because a buyer used that card for a $25 purchase, and the account was locked for 6 months or more, completely destroying the seller in the process...?

Orrrrrr....do you know that Paypal has locked accounts for things as simple as "too many buyer disputes filed"....? (How many are "too many disputes"...? Only Paypal knows.)

Everyone knows that comics are absolutely ripe with problems. Overgrading, undisclosed resto, hideous packing...but from 2002-2007 or so, I'd get a form letter from Paypal every year stating that my :dispute ratio" was too high. I've filed disputes on roughly 10% of my purcahses.

Everyone reading this who has bought more than 10 comic auctions off eBay knows that 10% is extremely conservative when it comes to possuible claims.

And yet, Paypal sent that e-mail, threatening to cut me off.

Orrrrr...do you know that Paypal has locked accounts for things as simple as expired creidt cards, or non-updated change of address...?

Orrrr...do you know that Paypal...in violation of Federal banking laws...has gone into people's attached accounts to "take" money they believe is owed to them?

Paypal is a horrible, horrible company, that has done awful, horrible, illegal things to lots and lots of people. Just because it appears they've cleaned up their act doesn't mean it's all roses and cheer. If Paypal locked my account, and reasonable attempts to clear it up weren't successful, I'd refund that money and say sayonara.

By the by....the buyer left negative feedback for Jerry Wiest.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=carsonjj&ftab=FeedbackLeftForOthers

Granted, if Jerry didn't respond, that's a problem.

But Jerry is one of the nicest guys you could ever hope to meet, and I have to wonder if the buyer bothered to get his phone number and actually CALL before leaving neg feedback...

My Magic 8 ball says "no"

Did you know that Paypal has locked accounts in the past because a BUYER paid with a fraudulent credit card?

And do you know that sellers have had 10s of thousands of dollars "locked" because a buyer used that card for a $25 purchase, and the account was locked for 6 months or more, completely destroying the seller in the process...?

I can confirm a similar horror story vis a vis a client of mine. And I can tell you that being trapped in Paypal's "dispute resolution process" is the business equivalent of being fingercuffed by Cthulhu and Nyarlathotep.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=carsonjj&ftab=FeedbackLeftForOthers

So this is the guy who called John the C-word after John explained the E-Bay bidding foul-up to him. Figures. The guy's negative feedback for Weist was based on the claim of a shipping overcharge, when Jerry charged the guy $9.05 to priority ship a slab.

What a tool.

Read the whole thread from day 1...still doesn't explain why he refunded a paid sale,with no explanation to the buyer,i understand the paypal account was frozen,so in un-rational thinking,a quick refund to empty the account doesn't make stiffing a "buyer" right.The transaction could have still gone thru.

In his defense, it does make a certain amount of sense. If your paypal account is locked (meaning you can't get the cash out), would you ship a $900 book in the hopes paypal would make you whole? What would you do if paypal decided there *was* fraud, and refunded the buyer their money? This is not something that's unheard of with paypal.

While it's unfair to the buyer, I'd have done the exact same thing. I'd have done it with a $25 book, never mind $900.

Sure i would...the only reason Paypal would lock an account is A)YOU screwed up. B)A dispute was filed(Lost item or damaged)..CGC graded books,as i know,Paypal won't even go there over a "not as discribed" dispute unless it's damaged,and high $ items are mailed Insured,I WOULD HOPE.

OP was hasty in his decissions..INCLUDING starting this thread.

AAAAAAAACCCCCKKKKKK!!! :eek:

Your posts on this are just frightening. Now listen, Krypto, I like you, and enjoy your posts, so don't think I'm being a dack just to be a dack...but if you think "the only reason" Paypal would lock an account is because of the above two reasons, you've clearly not had a lot of experience dealing with Paypal.

For instance....

Orrrrrr....do you know that Paypal has locked accounts for things as simple as "too many buyer disputes filed"....? (How many are "too many disputes"...? Only Paypal knows.)

Everyone knows that comics are absolutely ripe with problems. Overgrading, undisclosed resto, hideous packing...but from 2002-2007 or so, I'd get a form letter from Paypal every year stating that my :dispute ratio" was too high. I've filed disputes on roughly 10% of my purcahses.

Everyone reading this who has bought more than 10 comic auctions off eBay knows that 10% is extremely conservative when it comes to possuible claims.

And yet, Paypal sent that e-mail, threatening to cut me off.

Orrrrr...do you know that Paypal has locked accounts for things as simple as expired creidt cards, or non-updated change of address...?

Orrrr...do you know that Paypal...in violation of Federal banking laws...has gone into people's attached accounts to "take" money they believe is owed to them?

Paypal is a horrible, horrible company, that has done awful, horrible, illegal things to lots and lots of people. Just because it appears they've cleaned up their act doesn't mean it's all roses and cheer. If Paypal locked my account, and reasonable attempts to clear it up weren't successful, I'd refund that money and say sayonara.

I should have been more clear in the wording of the MAIN 2 reasons they would have locked an account,i was way wrong there,BUT...i was refering to the situation at hand that PMACK suggested/hypothized.....i know i've had $5g frozen over $200 before,and it took 2 weeks to clear it up...but i did...so i know all the other BS reasons Paypal does freeze accounts.

I definitely WAS NOT clear about my statement...and worded it all wrong :sorry:

That being said,it honestly sounds to me like the main thing with Paypal,is they want to "REPORT" a $10g + transaction to the IRS...otherwise,at some point,he's going to have to "cough up" the SS# to Paypal when a $10g+ trans takes place,and Paypal starts reporting $20,000 +200 trans to the Gov...we all will.

Also,you say you "would say sayonara"...thats pretty much what i figured the OP would have said also...but instead posted "WE WILL BE SELLING ON EBAY AGAIN"..which would mean Paypal..and as a buyer,they are as well....so Hate Paypal/Ebay...all this stuff..and then go right back to the same venue??

I'm just saying...I could care less what they buy or sell...i just know 100% for sure that the next time he freaks out,over a Paypal/Ebay thing,i wont be one of the buyers left hanging...

Doesn't matter if he offered to complete the trans still outside of ebay...i've refused many of those over the years to sellers that i have NO IDEA who they are.

So this is the guy who called John the C-word after John explained the E-Bay bidding foul-up to him. Figures. The guy's negative feedback for Weist was based on the claim of a shipping overcharge, when Jerry charged the guy $9.05 to priority ship a slab.

What a tool.

While Jerry's shipping is indeed high, it is stated as high up front. For example, the shipping on one of those books was over $15 to send to me, and I'm in the same state.

Also, why did the buyer pay what was an "overcharge" for shipping? Wouldn't you work that out before you make the payment? My guess is that he saw what was actually paid to send the package versus what he paid, and wanted the difference back.

Once again, I would like to point out that I did not "stiff" any buyer but the one who called me a (rhymes with brunt).

To be fair, he called you that after you refunded his money and refused to sell him the book.

I wrote:

Hello xxxx,

I do not blame you. If I was in your position, I would be very unhappy. Please try to understand my position. If ebay had not blocked the bidders, I now know that the item would have sold for over $17,000 at least (as there may be blocked bidders who did not contact me). Upon informing ebay of the bidders that were blocked (who basically mass e-mailed after the auction), ebay admitted that, by their own regulations, it should not have happened. I have no problem with an auction won fair and square but this..... In any case, I understand your position and have no hard feelings about it. File a complaint, leave a negative, do what you have to do. You still have my apologies for the situation.

The seller then finally paid up with an e-check.

He responded:

I'll pursue a fraud complaint against you through Paypal and my bank.

I wrote:

Be my guest, I could care less. FYI, I canceled your payment. There is no fraud.

He responded:

you're a real **** (rhymes with punt)

Seems funnier now that above he wrote "It boggles my mind that some people think I should let someone call me a (rhymes with stunt) and then just continue to do business with them like nothing happened". Sure seems like he stopped doing business with him before being called a "rhymes with".

hm

At least he spelled "you're" correctly....

;)

What a tool.

:news: bob, comic collectors are tools. (shrug)

What a tool.

:news: bob, comic collectors are tools. (shrug)

Present company excluded, of course. :baiting:

I know that............

1) I should stop looking at this thread, and

2) stop posting in it too..............but

A) After paypal froze my account, I refunded everyone's money for a specific reason that I did not really make clear. I won't ship any book until I have been paid for it. This just seems like common sense so I never really stated it. Because someone sent money to Paypal doesn't mean that I am paid. As far as I'm concerned, I'm paid when the money is in my account.

To not have the item or the money is the pinnacle of stupidity for a seller.

As It was my understanding that I wouldn't be getting the money for, at the very least, two weeks, I was not going to mail anything out either. So I refunded everyone. And I let them know that I would work with them to work it out. Every buyer who bothered to contact me about the canceled auctions was offered a better deal with the option of paying through an alternative paypal account just in case they felt that they were in some way cheating paypal.

This is mistreating and abusing my buyers?

And to see posters here actually crying about "poor abused paypal" makes me question whether they have graduated kindergarten yet. Good Lord, does anybody here really give a flying @#$% about paypal's bottom line?

B) As for selling on ebay/paypal again, why not? As I've already stated, I completely lost my temper with ebay/paypal after spending hours and hours spread out over four days talking to their laughable lack of customer service personnel. But this was just a human reaction: complete and total frustration. Ebay/Paypal is quite obviously not a person. It's just a business, a tool to use.

You can scream at a hammer after you've crushed your thumb, but to vow to never use it again for that reason is just plain dumb. Maybe you should just learn how to use it better.

One of the things I did get from this thread is perspective. When I started the thread, I just needed to vent my anger. But watching RockmyAmadeus and P-Mack (and others) debate the merits gave me something else: perspective. When you're angry, you demonize things. But basically I now believe I simply ran afoul of three things: 1) Ebay's 15k verification limits, 2) some unknown Paypal limit, and 3) simple corporate inflexibility.

To learn is to adjust and adapt. To refuse to adjust and adapt and go sulk in your tent endlessly and pointlessly is simply immaturity. Thus................

1) I won't be listing anything worth close to 15k again;

2) I won't generate so much income so fast (easier just because of #1);

3) I learned a few things about the ins and outs of ebay/paypal.

If I ever have a situation like this again (doubtful), I will react quite differently.

As for carsonjj and jak36963, they hardly deserve an ounce of sympathy. Neither one of these clowns could bother to communicate or respond as a human being. It's interesting to note that the people defending their rights so ardently seem to never address this and seem to have some degree of the same problem.

As for people who don't want to do business with me.........

It's your loss. I pack well, don't try to hide defects, am concerned that my buyers are happy, and will treat anyone fairly who treats me fairly.

so....... just send me your ebay handle, here or by PM, and I'll very happily add you to my blocked bidders list.

As for posters (like SkyPinkBlu or Namisgr) who have the level of maturity to see more than one side and try to communicate with others rather than just score points or work out their own issues, you have my gratitude for renewing my faith in people.

Aside to P-Mack:

I've been adjusting my ebay/paypal accounts and thus had to change my bidnapper account also. While doing that, I noticed that bidnapper has specific warnings in their bidding tutorials about the 15k verification limit. Knock me over with a straw.

I know this is off topic but when a seller refunds money to you through ebay/paypal, how do you avoid the paypal charges? I've had situations where the seller refunded me the exact price I paid, but when the money goes to my paypal account, there is a 3% surcharge, so a full refund isn't really a full refund.

I know this is off topic but when a seller refunds money to you through ebay/paypal, how do you avoid the paypal charges? I've had situations where the seller refunded me the exact price I paid, but when the money goes to my paypal account, there is a 3% surcharge, so a full refund isn't really a full refund.

If the seller does it right, i.e., refunds using the refund button on Paypal, you will receive your full payment back without any fees taken out. If the seller screws it up and just send you a payment in the amount you initially paid him, then it's not a "refund" but a payment subject to their fees.

(shrug)

Aside to P-Mack:

I've been adjusting my ebay/paypal accounts and thus had to change my bidnapper account also. While doing that, I noticed that bidnapper has specific warnings in their bidding tutorials about the 15k verification limit. Knock me over with a straw.

That's pretty interesting. I've never used Bidnapper, but I use AuctionSniper. After reading your post, I went and checked...they mention it too.

B) As for selling on ebay/paypal again, why not? As I've already stated, I completely lost my temper with ebay/paypal after spending hours and hours spread out over four days talking to their laughable lack of customer service personnel. But this was just a human reaction: complete and total frustration. Ebay/Paypal is quite obviously not a person. It's just a business, a tool to use.

You can scream at a hammer after you've crushed your thumb, but to vow to never use it again for that reason is just plain dumb. Maybe you should just learn how to use it better.

One of the things I did get from this thread is perspective. When I started the thread, I just needed to vent my anger. But watching RockmyAmadeus and P-Mack (and others) debate the merits gave me something else: perspective. When you're angry, you demonize things. But basically I now believe I simply ran afoul of three things: 1) Ebay's 15k verification limits, 2) some unknown Paypal limit, and 3) simple corporate inflexibility.

So do you realize now, that this was simple miscommunication between you and these several thousand CS reps, rather than a "glitch" with the auction program? That the auction programming functioned as designed?