• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My EBAY Nightmare

596 posts in this topic

Read the whole thread from day 1...still doesn't explain why he refunded a paid sale,with no explanation to the buyer,i understand the paypal account was frozen,so in un-rational thinking,a quick refund to empty the account doesn't make stiffing a "buyer" right.The transaction could have still gone thru.

In his defense, it does make a certain amount of sense. If your paypal account is locked (meaning you can't get the cash out), would you ship a $900 book in the hopes paypal would make you whole? What would you do if paypal decided there *was* fraud, and refunded the buyer their money? This is not something that's unheard of with paypal.

While it's unfair to the buyer, I'd have done the exact same thing. I'd have done it with a $25 book, never mind $900.

Sure i would...the only reason Paypal would lock an account is A)YOU screwed up. B)A dispute was filed(Lost item or damaged)..CGC graded books,as i know,Paypal won't even go there over a "not as discribed" dispute unless it's damaged,and high $ items are mailed Insured,I WOULD HOPE.

OP was hasty in his decissions..INCLUDING starting this thread.

If your Paypal account is locked how do you issue a refund?

hm

I'm pretty sure that when it's "locked",it keeps you from removing the funds,and that's about it.

My account was "locked' last year fro 2 weeks while i sorted out some BS,and i was still able to "recieve" money,and issue refunds from the link at the bottom of the transaction page in Paypal,i just wasnt able to "get" to any of the money in the account.

Mine was a matter of an "old paypal" account i was deliquent for like $200 with,from years prior.They associated my "new" paypal account with my old,and froze $5,000 in my Paypal over a $200 deliquent balance...I obviously resolved the problem,and all the funds were eventually released.it took like 2 weeks to sort out.

I didn't go and refund all the transactions from Ebay totaling $5g over the frozen account..it made no sense..as i knew it would get resolved.

That response also covers PMACK's thoughts...dumping the funds from Paypal back to "Buyers" to cover your is basicly "DUMB".if you have nothing to hide,are doing nothing wrong,and insure the high $ package,you are covered,even if someone filed a dispute...that's not why he refunded that money and screwed the buyer...pretty obvious.

I inferred the reason as he was 'pissed off.'

I think that you are correct in that.

My wording was/is "irrational".

Jeez.........this thread will not die.

To clarify:

1) It boggles my mind that some people think I should let someone call me a (rhymes with stunt) and then just continue to do business with them like nothing happened. If your level of respect for yourself is that low, that's your problem not mine.

2) Paypal froze the account I was using for the TempusFugitivus selling thread. In other words, I was not allowed to withdraw any money from the account. I called paypal multiple times about this. After hours and hours wasted on the phone (most of it waiting simply for someone to pick up), my understanding of the situation was this:

Paypal would not release the money in the account until I had provided and verified a whole plethora of information (including my social security number which I surely did not want to give to these clowns) and a complete credit check was done on me. This credit check would take at least 7-10 business days and perhaps quite a bit longer. They could not expedite it. The decision was irreversible and could not be appealed. They would not even discuss it with me.

As Sharon rightfully pointed out, I have a temper. However, my boiling point is not really that low. But when I lose it, I pretty much lose it completely (and since I'm basically a huge person, this is not good). After wasting six-seven hours on this with ebay/paypal, I was pretty much gone. When I discovered that I could simply refund everyone's money [that action was not blocked which makes sense if you think about it], I decided to do that instead of bow down to their demands.

So I canceled everything, refunded everyone, canceled every active listing, and closed the account.

One thing that I would like to point out is the fact that everyone who had their money refunded had not paid for their auction promptly or, I am pretty sure, within the five days specified in the listings. Some of the buyers were 20 days or more overdue.

I sent everyone who had not paid, or had paid after the account was frozen but before I had finished wasting time talking to paypal and then refunded, this form message:

Hello,

During a recent ebay auction (for an Amazing Spider-Man 1), ebay blocked multiple buyers from making bids. Their explanation was that it was for security reasons (auction had exceeded 10k). This action cost me 3 thousand dollars (that I know of). Ebay has admitted that, by their own regulations (just for the bidders that I know about who were verified), these bids should not have been blocked. My complaints about this situation resulted in ebay/paypal freezing my account. For this reason, I will no longer do business with the company. Please do not send payment as the paypal account is frozen. If you do, I will simply refund/cancel payment. All items not sold will be relisted on the CGC Boards or sold through Comiclink. My apologies for the situation.

JR

Multiple buyers contacted me about the situation and I replied to them:

Hi,

If you wish to still go through with the transaction, we can certainly work something out. Please contact me on the CGC Boards (if you are a member). My handle there is Tempus Fugitivus. Or you can e-mail me at TempusFugitivus7 at aol dotcom. Once again, my apologies.

John R

By this time, I had figured 2 things out:

1) I could still accept payment through other paypal accounts.

2) I could probably even detach the paypal account from the TempusFugitivus ebay account and attach another one [though I did not try to].

I actually worked out several successful deals with buyers after everything collapsed (some paid by paypal, some by check).

And then there was this clown...................

As soon as I canceled everything, he sent:

Dear tempusfugitivus,

listen if you don't send me the books i have to leave you neg feedback a seller issued me a strike for an item i bought for a penny unfortunately i was in the hospital and couldn't complete the transaction in time but when i contacted the seller he said the item was not avail and would not remove the strike and was quite rude with me so let me know what you think of this situation i'm involved in with you before i post thx tom

- jak369963

After he got the explanation form e-mail (see above):

He sent:

Dear tempusfugitivus,

so i guess you don't mind the negative feedback since i was the high bidder and i did win the items (although i didn't steal them)and since no one was blocked from bidding.i guess you feel that you might get a few more dollars on comic link well good luk to you and unfortunately i have to do what i gotta do (dont like leaving neg feedback)

- jak369963

I responded:

Dear jak369963,

Hi Tom,

Please read form e-mail about the situation. My paypal account is frozen. That is why I refunded the money (I'm not going to let these ***** just hold it). If still interested, please contact me directly (tempusfugitivus on the CGC Boards or TempusFugitivus7 at aol dotcom). Once again, my apologies.

JR

Note: The ***** was actually in the e-mail, not replacing anything. I was trying to be polite.

He never contacted me again then finally left two negatives.

Like that matters for that account. lol

I then sent him a nice e-mail telling him what he could do to himself.

[One good thing about the account being dead as a doornail, you don't have to care about the consequences of telling someone off.]

I would also like to point out that I pretty much gave everyone who contacted me and went through with the transactions anyways discounts (free shipping, etc) for their troubles. It's not like I just stiffed people. Nobody ended up out of anything.

The weird thing is that:

1) I now believe that some of my assumptions about the whole situation were incorrect.

For instance, I thought the freezing of my paypal account was in direct response to my complaints about the ASM1 auction. It may not have been. Of course, I thought the limit that tripped me up was 10k but it was actually probably 15k. I also thought that paypal and ebay were one monolithic entity. I don't think so now.

2) If I could do it over again, I may have simply delinked the frozen paypal account and linked a new one. However, I don't know if that would have caused trouble.

I did probably cause myself trouble by losing my temper with ebay/paypal. I should have never lost sight of the fact that it's just a company - a company that really does not give a good about its customers. But after dealing with the (complete lack of) customer service over hours and days, it was hard to keep that in perspective.

In any case, I'm (well, my son actually) going to sell on ebay again. Other than getting powerdrilled on the ASM1, the auctions did pretty well. For obvious reasons, I will never list an item that expensive again. And I've got a couple of new IDs for the blocked bidder's list.

Now.................

If everyone would let this thread die, I would appreciate it.

I think perhaps the thread was an emotional mistake.

I could not agree more.

Once again, I would like to point out that I did not "stiff" any buyer but the one who called me a (rhymes with brunt). And I would have done that regardless of the situation. Life is too short to put up with disrespect. I was more than willing to work the situation out with any of the other affected buyers and give them something for their trouble besides.

Once again, I would like to point out that I did not "stiff" any buyer but the one who called me a (rhymes with brunt).

To be fair, he called you that after you refunded his money and refused to sell him the book.

I wrote:

Hello xxxx,

I do not blame you. If I was in your position, I would be very unhappy. Please try to understand my position. If ebay had not blocked the bidders, I now know that the item would have sold for over $17,000 at least (as there may be blocked bidders who did not contact me). Upon informing ebay of the bidders that were blocked (who basically mass e-mailed after the auction), ebay admitted that, by their own regulations, it should not have happened. I have no problem with an auction won fair and square but this..... In any case, I understand your position and have no hard feelings about it. File a complaint, leave a negative, do what you have to do. You still have my apologies for the situation.

The seller then finally paid up with an e-check.

He responded:

I'll pursue a fraud complaint against you through Paypal and my bank.

I wrote:

Be my guest, I could care less. FYI, I canceled your payment. There is no fraud.

He responded:

you're a real **** (rhymes with punt)

Sure i would...the only reason Paypal would lock an account is A)YOU screwed up. B)A dispute was filed(Lost item or damaged).

I can tell you from personal experience that's not true. I had my account locked once because PP's automatic fraud detection got triggered, and I received a notice that one of my payments may have been fraudulent. It wasn't, and PP restored my account within a few days, but I also didn't ship a single thing until I had access to my money.

They've fixed this issue somewhat, in that now they will lock the specific problem payment rather than lock down the entire account. And in the OPs case, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, it's likely his account was locked for accepting too much money too fast, based on his previous selling habits.

Once again, I would like to point out that I did not "stiff" any buyer but the one who called me a (rhymes with brunt).

To be fair, he called you that after you refunded his money and refused to sell him the book.

To be fair, he is referring to the other cancelled auctions, not the one where eBay (either glitch or standard policy) blocked his top bidders and the price was not reached fairly.

To be fair, he is referring to the other cancelled auctions, not the one where eBay (either glitch or standard policy) blocked his top bidders and the price was not reached fairly.

This is the part Pmack should have quoted:

1) It boogles my mind that some people think I should let someone call me a (rhymes with stunt) and then just continue to do business with them like nothing happened. If your level of respect for yourself is that low, that's your problem not mine.

I wrote:

Hello xxxx,

I do not blame you. If I was in your position, I would be very unhappy. Please try to understand my position. If ebay had not blocked the bidders, I now know that the item would have sold for over $17,000 at least (as there may be blocked bidders who did not contact me). Upon informing ebay of the bidders that were blocked (who basically mass e-mailed after the auction), ebay admitted that, by their own regulations, it should not have happened. I have no problem with an auction won fair and square but this..... In any case, I understand your position and have no hard feelings about it. File a complaint, leave a negative, do what you have to do. You still have my apologies for the situation.

He responded:

I wrote:

Be my guest, I could care less. FYI, I canceled your payment. There is no fraud.

He responded:

Seems funnier now that above he wrote "It boggles my mind that some people think I should let someone call me a (rhymes with stunt) and then just continue to do business with them like nothing happened". Sure seems like he stopped doing business with him before being called a "rhymes with".

BTW to Sha - maybe the buyer is British? The "rhymes with" is much more common there and less of a swear, and guys call each other that.

And I think "rhymes with" should take the place of *spoon*

I wrote:

Hello xxxx,

He responded:

I wrote:

He responded:

Seems funnier now that above he wrote "It boggles my mind that some people think I should let someone call me a (rhymes with stunt) and then just continue to do business with them like nothing happened". Sure seems like he stopped doing business with him before being called a "rhymes with".

BTW to Sha - maybe the buyer is British? The "rhymes with" is much more common there and less of a swear, and guys call each other that.

And I think "rhymes with" should take the place of *spoon*

lol...the bidder could have called the OP "God's gift to mankind", and it wouldn't have mattered as he already cancelled the payment.

Jeez.........this thread will not die.

And then there was this clown...................

As soon as I canceled everything, he sent:

Dear tempusfugitivus,

listen if you don't send me the books i have to leave you neg feedback a seller issued me a strike for an item i bought for a penny unfortunately i was in the hospital and couldn't complete the transaction in time but when i contacted the seller he said the item was not avail and would not remove the strike and was quite rude with me so let me know what you think of this situation i'm involved in with you before i post thx tom

- jak369963

After he got the explanation form e-mail (see above):

He sent:

Dear tempusfugitivus,

so i guess you don't mind the negative feedback since i was the high bidder and i did win the items (although i didn't steal them)and since no one was blocked from bidding.i guess you feel that you might get a few more dollars on comic link well good luk to you and unfortunately i have to do what i gotta do (dont like leaving neg feedback)

- jak369963

I responded:

Dear jak369963,

Hi Tom,

Please read form e-mail about the situation. My paypal account is frozen. That is why I refunded the money (I'm not going to let these ***** just hold it). If still interested, please contact me directly (tempusfugitivus on the CGC Boards or TempusFugitivus7 at aol dotcom). Once again, my apologies.

JR

Note: The ***** was actually in the e-mail, not replacing anything. I was trying to be polite.

He never contacted me again then finally left two negatives.

Like that matters for that account. lol

I then sent him a nice e-mail telling him what he could do to himself.

[One good thing about the account being dead as a doornail, you don't have to care about the consequences of telling someone off.]

I would also like to point out that I pretty much gave everyone who contacted me and went through with the transactions anyways discounts (free shipping, etc) for their troubles. It's not like I just stiffed people. Nobody ended up out of anything.

So this guy is a "clown" to you because he didn't want to play your reindeer games? Didn't you stiff him? The transactions were on ebay so it sounds like you also avoided paying those fees by handling open transactions off of ebay.

Do me a favor, post all your ebay IDs so I can avoid the likes of you.

Thanks

Wow, the lack of empathy here is astounding for the E-Bay seller who got screwed in some very big ticket auctions by E-Bay misconduct. In my opinion, the seller was well within his rights to cancel these and all other sales (which he did), refund the "high bidders" (which he did, with the quotation marks to remind the unempathetic that these weren't truly the high bidders owing to E-Bay's admitted -up), and take the books elsewhere for legitimate sale.

If any one of you critics were, say, offering 30 grand worth of goods on E-Bay and owing to E-Bay misconduct (for instance, the site went down and no bids were accepted in the last six hours of your auctions), you sure as heck wouldn't be crying out about buyers' rights, now would you?

Any ire that isn't directed onto E-Bay in this case is misplaced.

Wow, the lack of empathy here is astounding for the E-Bay seller who got screwed in some very big ticket auctions by E-Bay misconduct. In my opinion, the seller was well within his rights to cancel these and all other sales (which he did), refund the "high bidders" (which he did, with the quotation marks to remind the unempathetic that these weren't truly the high bidders owing to E-Bay's admitted -up), and take the books elsewhere for legitimate sale.

If any one of you critics were, say, offering 30 grand worth of goods on E-Bay and owing to E-Bay misconduct (for instance, the site went down and no bids were accepted in the last six hours of your auctions), you sure as heck wouldn't be crying out about buyers' rights, now would you?

Any ire that isn't directed onto E-Bay in this case is misplaced.

Some of the items were from other End dates.

Books that were in the "several hundred dollar" area,not thousands.

The "Ebay glitch" had no affect on the final bidding price on these items.

Seller backed out of transactions,tried to do the trans outside Ebay,cried about the "whole Ebay/Paypal mess",and now says he will be running future auctions thru Ebay,and is still buying thru Ebay/using Paypal.

What part of that are you confused about?

Seller backed out of transactions,tried to do the trans outside Ebay,cried about the "whole Ebay/Paypal mess",and now says he will be running future auctions thru Ebay,and is still buying thru Ebay/using Paypal.

The end dates don't matter, once a seller gets screwed by E-Bay and decides as a consequence to take his items elsewhere.

One of the books is a ten thousand dollar plus item. Whether there is hundreds, thousands, or hundreds of thousands of dollars at stake isn't relevant to the base issues, anyway. I chose 30 grand for my hypothetical to help drive the point home.

Seller "backed out" only after being screwed by E-Bay.

Can't condone continuing to use E-Bay, so agree this is contradictory.

You seem confused, too - seller got ed by E-Bay and you want him to proceed with his auctions and continue to do business with them as though nothing happened.

blah blah blah

It might have been quicker to just say "This thread is tl;dr. Here's my uninformed opinion anyway!"

I don't agree with you. Doubt it's the first time this has happened to you, doubt it'll be the last. You should learn to deal with that.

You aren't my cat, are you? Because when I talk, that IS all she hears!

The end dates don't matter, once a seller gets screwed by E-Bay and decides as a consequence to take his items elsewhere.

One of the books is a ten thousand dollar plus item.

Seller "backed out" as you put it only after being screwed by E-Bay.

Can't condone continuing to use E-Bay, so agree this is contradictory.

You seem confused, too - seller got ed by E-Bay and you want him to proceed with his auctions as though nothing happened.

I'm not even talking about the ASM #1 anymore..last two Neg feedbacks were from a buyer,with two seperate auction wins,one on July 25,other Aug 1st...both sales for only a few hundred dollars were "refunded",and the sales VOIDED.

Seller says that he "refunded" all the auctions to "dump" his account,as Paypal froze it..and requested SS#,Credit check,ect..

In actuality,after lots of deep digging and research,once the original $14,000+ ASM #1 sale was refunded,the trans over $10g that sent the "flags" thru Paypal,as Paypal loosly skirts the "US Banking Laws" regarding the $10g reporting/Paypal being or not being a "Bank"...once that trans was refunded,and Paypal had no need for his other info(SS#),Paypal would have unfroze his account.

I spoke with Paypal regarding this whole situation,as a "hypothetical" while i was talking to them regarding a Dispute i currently have.

So the other bids got refunded for no reason,as the "Glitch" didnt affect the bidding price on low dollar items,and the Paypal funds would have been unfrozen.

There were/are a lot of things still at question,i just dont think the Op did the right thing,in the "Big Picture",especially knowing that they plan on continuing to use Ebayand paypal. 2c

blah blah blah

It might have been quicker to just say "This thread is tl;dr. Here's my uninformed opinion anyway!"

lol The trolls are still trolling this thread.