• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My EBAY Nightmare

596 posts in this topic

Except the person posting here, who said he tried to place a bid, HAS been a seller...so there must be something else. :shrug:

You don't HAVE to be ID verified to sell

How can they bill you then?

I assume CC or direct debit from a banking account per Getting Started Selling :

Create a seller's account

When you become a seller you'll need to:

Provide us with a valid credit card, debit card, or bank account information or become ID Verified.

However, if I remember correctly once I had been selling for a while and payments/balances started to expand, they basically said ID verify or its going to take a long time to get your money. I may be confusing this with Paypal though since it was such a while ago.

Except the person posting here, who said he tried to place a bid, HAS been a seller...so there must be something else. :shrug:

I assume CC or direct debit from a banking account per Getting Started Selling :

Provide us with a valid credit card, debit card, or bank account information or become ID Verified.

However, if I remember correctly once I had been selling for a while and payments/balances started to expand, they basically said ID verify or its going to take a long time to get your money. I may be confusing this with Paypal though since it was such a while ago.

According to the eBay help page I linked, current policy is you must be ID verified to sell. Having a CC on file will work as well and having a CC on file is also good enough to allow you to bid over $15K.

Nope, it's nothing else. That person, as the OP posted 50 pages ago, should have been able to bid since he was already verified. That's why the OP was told by eBay they screwed up. Cause they did.

Note that on this page:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/bidding-overview.html

scroll down to the first table.

To place a bid of $15,000 or more, you must provide a valid credit card (your card won't be charged) or go through our ID Verify process (no credit card required). This requirement helps ensure that members involved in large sales are of legal age and serious about completing the transaction.

If you click on the link to provide a valid credit card, it takes you to the same page to enter a credit card to pay your seller fees with.

https://arbd.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SetupCCPayment

QED.

Provide us with a valid credit card, debit card, or bank account information OR become ID Verified.

According to the eBay help page I linked, current policy is you must be ID verified to sell.

No, that OR word, kind of gets in the way

As far as a CC on file to pay your ebay fees. Lots (I would think a majority) of sellers have their eBay fees paid out of their paypal account.

He's got very recent sales which makes me think it could be the malware problem. There have been lots of sales over $15k. For example...

we didn't see a problem when Filter posted his Cap America #2 and that I think went for $100k? I don't see anything posted about this for high priced jewelry, or art. I did a quick check of the eBay forums.

In any case...it looks like the OP is negotiating with a bunch of people for more than the what he was going to get on eBay, so his nightmare should be resolved. :wishluck:

Nope, it's nothing else. That person, as the OP posted 50 pages ago, should have been able to bid since he was already verified. That's why the OP was told by eBay they screwed up. Cause they did.

Most likely, the only thing that eBay screwed up on here is through their CSR's in the human interaction.

Most likely, the auction code functioned properly.

The humans, not so much.

As an example of the stellar customer service you can expect with eBay, I spoke with eBay yesterday about a simple shipping issue. I was trying the fairly new eBay shipping and had to cancel an international label and was still charged the $50 shipping fee. I went through 3 CSR's and spent an hour and a half on the phone (I just left them on speakerphone as I was doing other work). They could not resolve the issue before I finally had to go. I called this am and spoke with another CSR and in the first 3 minutes she explained the issue. Mind you, this was a simple shipping issue, that arises on a constant basis for the CSR team.

Borderline 15K sales should be far rarer, especially ones where the seller is complaining. Additionally OP mentioned "after speaking with several CSRs over a couple days" if I remember correctly. I guarantee that over the course of that many CSRs that you will get several who do not have a clue, and will simply agree with you and put you on hold for the next CSR.

He's got very recent sales which makes me think it could be the malware problem. There have been lots of sales over $15k. For example...

we didn't see a problem when Filter posted his Cap America #2 and that I think went for $100k? I don't see anything posted about this for high priced jewelry, or art. I did a quick check of the eBay forums.

In any case...it looks like the OP is negotiating with a bunch of people for more than the what he was going to get on eBay, so his nightmare should be resolved. :wishluck:

No one is going to see any problem at the 100k level. 97% of the bidders for an item like that have already been verified. It won't be their "first rodeo" so to speak. Whereas the ASM 1 in 8.0 ... well, here is my post from earlier.

In this case, it was likely exacerbated by the item being auctioned, an ASM 1 in 8.0. This particular book will have significantly more 1st time high bidders (bidders who have never placed a bid in the $15K range and have not been verified) than an average $15K Golden age or a $15K CGC 9.8 silver key because the pool of bidders for an ASM 1 in 8.0 is significantly larger than the other two examples. Additionally and more importantly, it is likely the peak of collecting for the people in said pool and thus they will not have ever spent that much prior and thus had no reason to go through the verification process.

According to the eBay help page I linked, current policy is you must be ID verified to sell.

No, that OR word, kind of gets in the way

As far as a CC on file to pay your ebay fees. Lots (I would think a majority) of sellers have their eBay fees paid out of their paypal account.

They do. And you must be verified with a bank account (or CC).

Most likely, the only thing that eBay screwed up on here is through their CSR's in the human interaction.

Most likely, the auction code functioned properly.

The humans, not so much.

As an example of the stellar customer service you can expect with eBay, I spoke with eBay yesterday about a simple shipping issue. I was trying the fairly new eBay shipping and had to cancel an international label and was still charged the $50 shipping fee. I went through 3 CSR's and spent an hour and a half on the phone (I just left them on speakerphone as I was doing other work). They could not resolve the issue before I finally had to go. I called this am and spoke with another CSR and in the first 3 minutes she explained the issue. Mind you, this was a simple shipping issue, that arises on a constant basis for the CSR team.

Borderline 15K sales should be far rarer, especially ones where the seller is complaining. Additionally OP mentioned "after speaking with several CSRs over a couple days" if I remember correctly. I guarantee that over the course of that many CSRs that you will get several who do not have a clue, and will simply agree with you and put you on hold for the next CSR.

Like in any customer service atmosphere, the job sucks, therefore the churn ratio of people leaving the jobs are very high. Average CSR length in most contact centers vary between 2 to 5 months from my experience as I have worked in Contact centers mostly management positions for over 8 years in between 1999 and 2009.

End result of this employment model is that 25 to 30% of the CSRs in with whom you will speak to are being trained on proper procedures and protocol as well as systems, so the help they can offer is somewhat limited compared to that of a veteran.

SIMPLE SOLUTION --- Be polite and tell the rep it's nothing that they've done wrong but you have spoken to many individuals about said issue, or you're short on time and you would like to speak with either a supervisor or floor manager 2 get this issue resolved as quickly as possible.

They have no choice by quality assurance standards but to grant your request.

This hopefully saves a few of you time and frustration in future.

Rich

Regarding a CC on file; I actually have SEVERAL cards on file

& have always used them in preference to PP instant transfer.

OK, you have cards on file with Paypal, not eBay. They are the same thing now but didn't used to be,

Did you ever go through the process where Paypal made a very small charge to your credit card and you had to go to a paypal page and report the amount of the charge?

[color:#006600]Yep. And when I had the online chat after the ASM#1 auction snafu, The EBAY AGENT checked my account & found everything in order...[/color]

NOTE: THIS IS NOT COLOR:#006600 REPLYING....IT'S THE NEWBIE from NY doh!

BTW, If John et al is/are watching, I took some shots of that AF#15. I'll be sending them to John,

as I'm too lazy to figure ANYTHING this morning. They are in hard mylar, but it's a start [no flash,just a touch of me & some archival tape I used to seal the flap. Pardon me being :signofftopic:!

NOTE: THIS IS NOT COLOR:#006600 REPLYING....IT'S THE NEWBIE from NY doh!

BTW, If John et al is/are watching, I took some shots of that AF#15. I'll be sending them to John,

as I'm too lazy to figure ANYTHING this morning. They are in hard mylar, but it's a start [no flash,just a touch of me & some archival tape I used to seal the flap. Pardon me being :signofftopic:!

Michael, when you hit the color, make sure you have "color" open in the beginning and closed at the end/ I mess that up ALL the time.

when you edit your text, sometimes you mess it up...you had the end IMG code missing.

That's more than I can say for most of the pantywaists around here...

:insane:

(That was the best JC impression I have. How'd I do...?)

FAIL! Unlike him, you're funny and can laugh at yourself.

Doesn't "bread-stick arms" have to be in there too, or is that cliche by now?

I used "bread-stick arms" on one of my (non-comic) friends yesterday, and thought of this thread....

lol

Michael, when you hit the color, make sure you have "color" open in the beginning and closed at the end/ I mess that up ALL the time.

when you edit your text, sometimes you mess it up...you had the end IMG code missing.

You are very kind!

Thanks again for your comments!

To (Hades) with ebay.

Original poster listed Spider-man 1 on eBay, didn't get the price he wanted, then refused to sell the book to the high bidder. Link to the actual auction: ASM #1 on eBay

Bid history: ASM #1 Bid History

Feedback from bidder: Avoid. Seller asked for more money, lied about bidding, refused to ship item.

Buyer: Member id carsonjj (Feedback Score Of 381)

From original poster's feedback, other comments about similar experiences:

X-Men #19

Feedback: book was paid and seller cancelled sale and refunded $$$ for a non valid reason

Buyer: Member id jak369963 (Feedback Score Of 154)

ASM #66

Feedback: paid for book and sale was cancelled by seller for no valid reason

Original poster just recently cancelled all bids (some pretty nice bids, too!) on six auctions and closed them early:

X-Men #63

X-Men #57

X-Men #53

X-Men #50

Hulk #102

ASM #62

I must say; It's been a long time since I have seen such fine collectibles as offered by John.

So how is the purchase of the ASM #1 going?

By the way, the eBay ID you gave - KITDHWAN49 - gets this response from eBay - "The user ID was not found."

To (Hades) with ebay.

Original poster listed Spider-man 1 on eBay, didn't get the price he wanted, then refused to sell the book to the high bidder. Link to the actual auction: ASM #1 on eBay

Bid history: ASM #1 Bid History

Feedback from bidder: Avoid. Seller asked for more money, lied about bidding, refused to ship item.

Buyer: Member id carsonjj (Feedback Score Of 381)

From original poster's feedback, other comments about similar experiences:

X-Men #19

Feedback: book was paid and seller cancelled sale and refunded $$$ for a non valid reason

ASM #66

Feedback: paid for book and sale was cancelled by seller for no valid reason

Original poster just recently cancelled all bids (some pretty nice bids, too!) on six auctions and closed them early:

X-Men #63

X-Men #57

X-Men #53

X-Men #50

Hulk #102

ASM #62

doh!