• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My EBAY Nightmare

596 posts in this topic

To (Hades) with ebay.

Original poster listed Spider-man 1 on eBay, didn't get the price he wanted, then refused to sell the book to the high bidder. Link to the actual auction: ASM #1 on eBay

Bid history: ASM #1 Bid History

Feedback from bidder: Avoid. Seller asked for more money, lied about bidding, refused to ship item.

Buyer: Member id carsonjj (Feedback Score Of 381)

From original poster's feedback, other comments about similar experiences:

X-Men #19

Feedback: book was paid and seller cancelled sale and refunded $$$ for a non valid reason

Buyer: Member id jak369963 (Feedback Score Of 154)

ASM #66

Feedback: paid for book and sale was cancelled by seller for no valid reason

Original poster just recently cancelled all bids (some pretty nice bids, too!) on six auctions and closed them early:

X-Men #63

X-Men #57

X-Men #53

X-Men #50

Hulk #102

ASM #62

doh!

The cancelled listings aren't surprining. My guess from what the OP has written here is that we will be seeing them on CL. I think its a good choice.

To (Hades) with ebay.

Original poster listed Spider-man 1 on eBay, didn't get the price he wanted, then refused to sell the book to the high bidder. Link to the actual auction: ASM #1 on eBay

Feedback from bidder: Avoid. Seller asked for more money, lied about bidding, refused to ship item.

X-Men #19

Feedback: book was paid and seller cancelled sale and refunded $$$ for a non valid reason

ASM #66

Original poster just recently cancelled all bids (some pretty nice bids, too!) on six auctions and closed them early:

X-Men #63

X-Men #57

X-Men #53

X-Men #50

Hulk #102

ASM #62

doh!

The cancelled listings aren't surprining. My guess from what the OP has written here is that we will be seeing them on CL. I think its a good choice.

The sale date for the X-men 19 that the transaction was refunded,and neg feedback left,was a week before the ASM incident ever even happened...

To (Hades) with ebay.

X-Men #19

ASM #66

X-Men #63

X-Men #57

X-Men #53

X-Men #50

Hulk #102

ASM #62

doh!

The sale date for the X-men 19 that the transaction was refunded,and neg feedback left,was a week before the ASM incident ever even happened...

WTF, did this guy call him a "punt" also? doh!

or did it not sell for enough money? hm

To (Hades) with ebay.

X-Men #19

ASM #66

X-Men #63

X-Men #57

X-Men #53

X-Men #50

Hulk #102

ASM #62

doh!

I wasn't commenting on the X-men 19, I was commenting on the recently cancelled listings for unfinished auctions.

Without hearing from the seller on it, there's no reason to light the torches. He could have a perfectly good reason for not shipping those other two slabs and refunding the winners money.

Added: Both books sold for above GPA.

To (Hades) with ebay.

X-Men #19

ASM #66

X-Men #63

X-Men #57

X-Men #53

X-Men #50

Hulk #102

ASM #62

doh!

I wasn't commenting on the X-men 19, I was commenting on the recently cancelled listings for unfinished auctions.

Without hearing from the seller on it, there's no reason to light the torches. He could have a perfectly good reason for not shipping those other two slabs and refunding the winners money.

Added: Both books sold for above GPA.

..i just find it odd.

The "buyer" sure didn't seem to see a "perfectly good reason".

Two auctions,won at seperate times,and both refunded,from seperate sale dates.

What good reason could there be?Other than the second book was won on the night the ASM meltdown happened,and seller refused to go thru with any wins that night? And refused to complete the "whole" transaction after the buyer paid for both seperate dated auctions?

COME ON!

Didn't they freeze his paypal account and strand those payments when they put a gun to his head?

I thought that was why he issued refunds and cancelled his future business with eBay/Paypal.

I think your picking over the carcass of a fleeing former eBay seller, which seems to be a trend , nowadays. (shrug)

Didn't they freeze his paypal account and strand those payments when they put a gun to his head?

I thought that was why he issued refunds and cancelled his future business with eBay/Paypal.

I think your picking over the carcass of a fleeing former eBay seller, which seems to be a trend , nowadays. (shrug)

Most likely true...just bad form to refund and cancel the sale of the books that were already paid for... 2c

I can understand ending the others,and moving them to comiclink,especailly with the low feedback score now.I'm sure bidding would have been low.I know i wouldn't have been bidding on books with a seller who's feedback was blasted with recent feedback saying "won't complete transaction" and is at 90%.

The Paypal issue is mute,i've resolved much larger problems with them in a matter of days thru phone calls,and whatever else needed to be done....

For what it's worth,Ebay is still the cheapest venue to sell large $ items at auction.

Clinks 10% and 30 days to pay will yield him no higher $ in the end.

Most likely true...just bad form to refund and cancel the sale of the books that were already paid for... 2c

I can understand ending the others,and moving them to comiclink,especailly with the low feedback score now.I'm sure bidding would have been low.I know i wouldn't have been bidding on books with a seller who's feedback was blasted with recent feedback saying "won't complete transaction" and is at 90%.

The Paypal issue is mute,i've resolved much larger problems with them in a matter of days thru phone calls,and whatever else needed to be done....

For what it's worth,Ebay is still the cheapest venue to sell large $ items at auction.

I was staying out of this thread. Even if he is leaving ebay, refunding funds and not delivering on auctions previously won is just wrong, IMO. Unless the items in question were damaged and not in the same condition then I could understand the OP for refunding monies owed. However, there isn't a follow up to the feedback yet so it is unknown what happened. It is the buyer that is harmed here. Good thing I don't collect Marvels or slabs.

While I am at it, I hate when name-calling becomes the reason to hide behind on fulfilling obligations. That is the lamest.

1. Isn't it possible that asking for the financial information is a Homeland Security issue? that's a lot of money to be moving around without providing an SS#, I don't see where it's such an odd request.

2. He's still bidding under his other ID. So if Paypal is frozen? :shrug:

While it is probably too much to expect people to actually read what the OP said before commenting, nonetheless, he did discuss this issue.

While it is probably too much to expect people to actually read what the OP said before commenting, nonetheless, he did discuss this issue.

Read the whole thread from day 1...still doesn't explain why he refunded a paid sale,with no explanation to the buyer,i understand the paypal account was frozen,so in un-rational thinking,a quick refund to empty the account doesn't make stiffing a "buyer" right.The transaction could have still gone thru. 2c

And as mentioned,he is still bidding on items on Ebay,so he must have at least 1 Paypal account still active,you would imagine.

On top of that,if he is so "over" Ebay,and will not sell thru them any more,and stiffs buyers..then why still be an active buyer thru the same venue that you opened a thread to publicly bash? I don't buy any of it.

Except the person posting here, who said he tried to place a bid, HAS been a seller...so there must be something else. :shrug:

You don't HAVE to be ID verified to sell

How can they bill you then?

I assume CC or direct debit from a banking account per Getting Started Selling :

Create a seller's account

When you become a seller you'll need to:

Provide us with a valid credit card, debit card, or bank account information OR become ID Verified.

However, if I remember correctly once I had been selling for a while and payments/balances started to expand, they basically said ID verify or its going to take a long time to get your money. I may be confusing this with Paypal though since it was such a while ago.

According to the eBay help page I linked, current policy is you must be ID verified to sell.

No, that OR word, kind of gets in the way

As far as a CC on file to pay your ebay fees. Lots (I would think a majority) of sellers have their eBay fees paid out of their paypal account.

They do. And you must be verified with a bank account (or CC).

I was going to just let this die. But it appears that it has been reborn. So, just to clarify:

The paypal verification is not the same as the eBay verify ID.

You can be paypal verified and you still will not be able to bid over $15K without meeting the eBay requirements.

MCF335 clearly did not meet the eBay requirements before the auction expired.

Read the whole thread from day 1...still doesn't explain why he refunded a paid sale,with no explanation to the buyer,i understand the paypal account was frozen,so in un-rational thinking,a quick refund to empty the account doesn't make stiffing a "buyer" right.The transaction could have still gone thru. 2c

And as mentioned,he is still bidding on items on Ebay,so he must have at least 1 Paypal account still active,you would imagine.

On top of that,if he is so "over" Ebay,and will not sell thru them any more,and stiffs buyers..then why still be an active buyer thru the same venue that you opened a thread to publicly bash? I don't buy any of it.

lol I think John elecits strong opinions from people because of who he is and how often people cross his path. It would be a great day for other buyers if he quit buying off eBay. It would seriously suck for the sellers, though.

lol I think John elecits strong opinions from people because of who he is and how often people cross his path. It would be a great day for other buyers if he quit buying off eBay. It would seriously suck for the sellers, though.

OK, I've been trying not to say this...but..The people who are not so sure about this thread are not all competitors.

I've had one or two very pleasant PM conversations with John...he was very nice.

I have no reason to dislike him, I have never bid against him, nor will I, we have completely different tastes in comics. I VERY much doubt I will ever have anything listed I expect him to buy.

However. a lot of this stuff still does not make sense...and the more I read it, the more it bothers me. I do not think he's dishonest at all...I just think he has a temper and some people who were basically innocent, got ...I guess I can't use the sc word...but I do still feel sorry for the buyers.

I'm a woman and I have never heard that term used for a man...the "bunt" thingy...it's not a nice term, but I don't think I'd be the least upset if someone called me a "Pick"....Then again, it takes me a tiny bit more to get upset with people.

Again, if we are going to do large transactions on eBay or anywhere else, expect there to be questions. Terrorists ARE laundering money...it's an easy place to use.

I think perhaps the thread was an emotional mistake.

I'm sure that is probably true...i don't know him,and have never bought or sold with him.So i have "no horse" in this race.

I was just simple giving my thoughts as a total outsider,that's all.

Just calling it as i see it...I know i would be one upset Ebay buyer if i had won his auctions,2 seperate ones,paid,and then was refunded with no explanation as to why,and as written in the recent neg feedback.That's just plain wrong,no matter what happened in regards to the ASM #1 sale.

Read the whole thread from day 1...still doesn't explain why he refunded a paid sale,with no explanation to the buyer,i understand the paypal account was frozen,so in un-rational thinking,a quick refund to empty the account doesn't make stiffing a "buyer" right.The transaction could have still gone thru.

In his defense, it does make a certain amount of sense. If your paypal account is locked (meaning you can't get the cash out), would you ship a $900 book in the hopes paypal would make you whole? What would you do if paypal decided there *was* fraud, and refunded the buyer their money? This is not something that's unheard of with paypal.

While it's unfair to the buyer, I'd have done the exact same thing. I'd have done it with a $25 book, never mind $900.

Except the person posting here, who said he tried to place a bid, HAS been a seller...so there must be something else. :shrug:

You don't HAVE to be ID verified to sell

How can they bill you then?

I assume CC or direct debit from a banking account per Getting Started Selling :

Create a seller's account

When you become a seller you'll need to:

Provide us with a valid credit card, debit card, or bank account information OR become ID Verified.

However, if I remember correctly once I had been selling for a while and payments/balances started to expand, they basically said ID verify or its going to take a long time to get your money. I may be confusing this with Paypal though since it was such a while ago.

According to the eBay help page I linked, current policy is you must be ID verified to sell.

No, that OR word, kind of gets in the way

As far as a CC on file to pay your ebay fees. Lots (I would think a majority) of sellers have their eBay fees paid out of their paypal account.

They do. And you must be verified with a bank account (or CC).

I was going to just let this die. But it appears that it has been reborn. So, just to clarify:

The paypal verification is not the same as the eBay verify ID.

You can be paypal verified and you still will not be able to bid over $15K without meeting the eBay requirements.

MCF335 clearly did not meet the eBay requirements before the auction expired.

You cannot be an eBay seller without meeting the same eBay requirement that is needed for the $15K. One of the losing bidders posting here says he has sold before.

If your Paypal account is locked how do you issue a refund?

hm

I'm pretty sure that when it's "locked",it keeps you from removing the funds,and that's about it.

My account was "locked' last year fro 2 weeks while i sorted out some BS,and i was still able to "recieve" money,and issue refunds from the link at the bottom of the transaction page in Paypal,i just wasnt able to "get" to any of the money in the account.

Mine was a matter of an "old paypal" account i was deliquent for like $200 with,from years prior.They associated my "new" paypal account with my old,and froze $5,000 in my Paypal over a $200 deliquent balance...I obviously resolved the problem,and all the funds were eventually released.it took like 2 weeks to sort out.

I didn't go and refund all the transactions from Ebay totaling $5g over the frozen account..it made no sense..as i knew it would get resolved.

That response also covers PMACK's thoughts...dumping the funds from Paypal back to "Buyers" to cover your is basicly "DUMB".if you have nothing to hide,are doing nothing wrong,and insure the high $ package,you are covered,even if someone filed a dispute...that's not why he refunded that money and screwed the buyer...pretty obvious.

If your Paypal account is locked how do you issue a refund?

hm

I'm pretty sure that when it's "locked",it keeps you from removing the funds,and that's about it.

My account was "locked' last year fro 2 weeks while i sorted out some BS,and i was still able to "recieve" money,and issue refunds from the link at the bottom of the transaction page in Paypal,i just wasnt able to "get" to any of the money in the account.

Mine was a matter of an "old paypal" account i was deliquent for like $200 with,from years prior.They associated my "new" paypal account with my old,and froze $5,000 in my Paypal over a $200 deliquent balance...I obviously resolved the problem,and all the funds were eventually released.it took like 2 weeks to sort out.

I didn't go and refund all the transactions from Ebay totaling $5g over the frozen account..it made no sense..as i knew it would get resolved.

That response also covers PMACK's thoughts...dumping the funds from Paypal back to "Buyers" to cover your is basicly "DUMB".if you have nothing to hide,are doing nothing wrong,and insure the high $ package,you are covered,even if someone filed a dispute...that's not why he refunded that money and screwed the buyer...pretty obvious.

I inferred the reason as he was 'pissed off.'