• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My EBAY Nightmare

596 posts in this topic

As one of those bidders on ASM#1(8.0), I must re-interject that;

#1] I have linked bank account & three linked credit cards with PP.

#2] Yes, I admit to waiting up to the last minute [ do shills go straight to hell?]

to bid, but this was a HUGE commitment that I was still freaked out about making...

#3] To underline John's narrative; Several bidders with far more experience than me were ALSO cut off completely!

I grabbed this thread by clicking on your handle,is that the best way?

Mike, the best way to get used to a chat forum is to click around a while and get used to your surroundings.

If you are going to post many replies but are trying to reply to someone directly, it helps to hit the "quote" button rather than the "reply" button. That way it quotes them and then you can type under the "quoted" text as a direct reply to whomever you are talking to. Just like I did above.

Also, getting used to typing on a chat forum is different than talking. It takes a little time and patience to get your thought out in writing for others to understand.

Spacing things out, gathering your thoughts before typing them, and using correct punctuation and spelling will all help in getting your meanings across to readers while avoiding confusion and misunderstanding.

Hope that helps!

OKAY,Now I'm STARTING to see the procedure...Thanks!

Basically, I am currently in contact with ebay-blocked bidders 1, 2, and 4 (3 has not answered 3 e-mails and I'm a baseball fan). I've asked all three bidders if they would post in this thread (so P-Mack can treat them as hostile witnesses and interrogate them). One of the interesting things seems to be that, although all 3 were willing to spend a large amount on the ASM1, not one of them seems familiar with the Boards.

I guess we are a lake on an island in the middle of the ocean.

Hopefully, Bidder 4 will chime in with his experiences as his ebay feedback was 4000+ and its hard to believe ebay would have fouled him up. It also looks like I'm pretty much guaranteed a happy ending as all three bidders I'm in contact with seem to want to go through with the purchase once sure of my bonafides.

PS- Michael (the high bidder) informed me that he has an un-restored Amazing Fantasy 15 that he personally purchased off the rack which he thinks is in very fine or so condition. I've given him as much good info I can about the book (pressing, dealers, consignment sites) so that he doesn't get ripped off when he goes to sell.

Personally, I'd just like to see it and told him about the grading forum where the experts here can give him an opinion. Here's hoping he posts a pic. :wishluck:

Yes, I will gladly post a pic of my 12 cent AF15. I read the hell out of my matching ASM#1,

but the AF15 was a quick read & ended up getting stored with the rest of the AF series I was reading. BTW, I bought a BONOMO'S TURKISH TAFFY instead of ASM #2 that day off the spinner at a remote soda shop.Yummy Dummy :)

Here's that 'bear with me stuff' I warned you about; what is the specific problem implied

by doing a 'person to person' transaction? [screaming newbie, right?].

The lack of escrow? Involving a credit card adds the 3rd person,yes?

I mean, if one makes a personal payment with PAYPAL as , say a 'gift' but

finances that using one's personal CC, doesn't that cover one's keester?

No using Paypal personal does not cover you AT ALL, you can't use a credit card that way unless you PAY the fees, the money has to come from your bank account...plus if you are buying a book for over $15k, it's not a gift, it's just a way to avoid fees and Paypal could rightfully cancel your privileges to use the personal service that way, it's already happened to at least one person here.

Hi, fellow Westchester-ite, Slowly we turn;Step by step....As I am pushing better buttons

[ only a bit better hm ], I wanted to be sure to touch base with you on that MISS AMERICA

I bought it for my Mom who is now gone; I'm fairly certain it was #1.....I will search it out if

it WAS the one with Eliz.Taylor on the cover? Again, I do hope you got my other posts,

regardless, I appreciate your advice!

Michael

Pmack- This was a joke. I have absolutely no hostility to you at all.

I'm glad to hear that, although I would still understand if you did-- re-reading my first messages, I did come off as a bit of a jerk. I don't apologize for what I said, but I do apologize for how I said it.

Anyway, I think it's great that you're encouraging your bidders to come in and discuss the problems they had, so thanks for that.

Here's that 'bear with me stuff' I warned you about; what is the specific problem implied

by doing a 'person to person' transaction? [screaming newbie, right?].

The lack of escrow? Involving a credit card adds the 3rd person,yes?

I mean, if one makes a personal payment with PAYPAL as , say a 'gift' but

finances that using one's personal CC, doesn't that cover one's keester?

No using Paypal personal does not cover you AT ALL, you can't use a credit card that way unless you PAY the fees, the money has to come from your bank account...plus if you are buying a book for over $15k, it's not a gift, it's just a way to avoid fees and Paypal could rightfully cancel your privileges to use the personal service that way, it's already happened to at least one person here.

Hi, fellow Westchester-ite, Slowly we turn;Step by step....As I am pushing better buttons

[ only a bit better hm ], I wanted to be sure to touch base with you on that MISS AMERICA

I bought it for my Mom who is now gone; I'm fairly certain it was #1.....I will search it out if

it WAS the one with Eliz.Taylor on the cover? Again, I do hope you got my other posts,

regardless, I appreciate your advice!

Michael

P.S. Trying to get ducks inna row here....

This was my follow-up to your advice on PP and personal/gift thing;

Paying the CC fees is a given. Point being; By electing to send a gift via PP but authorizing/funding it with a non-PP card, doesn't that take the ball out of PP's court

putting it under coverage with the CC? I thought the gift procedure helps the receiver

of funds [strategies like sending below the 10G mark avoid federal scrutiny,yes?]

BTW, is that MISS AMERICA #1 the one with ELIZABETH TAYLOR on the cover?

Although the two sites are owned by the same company, I don't believe the financial information is shared. Having those things on file with Paypal is not the same as having them on file with ebay.

Most bidders, as a rule, don't ever need to put a CC on file with ebay. Up until a few years ago, they only asked that information of sellers, so they could collect their fees. It was only after a lot of thrill-bidding on high-profile items that they instituted this idea that anyone wanting to bid a high dollar amount should verify who they are first. When I first encountered it years ago, the options were 1) put a credit card or checking account on file with ebay; or 2) use their ID Verify, which was some phone-based verification system that cost $5 to use. I think I did it once with an account that has since been NARUed, but I can't remember the exact details. Now it seems you can do a phone-based verification like you did. That's much faster. I had to do that with paypal last week, and it really is instantaneous. They've come very far.

I don't have all the details worked out, but it appears that if you have one account with ebay that's been verified, all your accounts that can be linked are automatically verified as well. I have three seller accounts and seven bidder accounts. My seller accounts are verified, naturally, but it turns out five of my bidder accounts are also verified. I know for a fact I never went through the process with these accounts. I suspect they are linked to my seller account because the two that aren't verified have old contact information (old address). I had abandoned them for a few years because I lost the password and didn't have access to the email account they were registered with. I'd imagine ebay considers those two accounts as owned by someone other than me.

#2] Yes, I admit to waiting up to the last minute [ do shills go straight to hell?]

Shills do, but you weren't shilling, you were sniping. And anyone who doesn't snipe an auction of value is a chump, so good on ya.

#3] To underline John's narrative; Several bidders with far more experience than me were ALSO cut off completely!

Your problem wasn't an ebay glitch, it was bad luck. We're trying to determine if the other bidders encountered a different problem than you did, or if they fell prey to the same roadblock.

The 15,000 verification level probably causes significantly lower realized prices when auctions close around this level. I am sure if you graphed auction results there would be a large flat spot on the curve around this level.

In this case, it was likely exacerbated by the item being auctioned, an ASM 1 in 8.0. This particular book will have significantly more 1st time high bidders (bidders who have never placed a bid in the $15K range and have not been verified) than an average $15K Golden age or a $15K CGC 9.8 silver key because the pool of bidders for an ASM 1 in 8.0 is significantly larger than the other two examples. Additionally and more importantly, it is likely the peak of collecting for the people in said pool and thus they will not have ever spent that much prior and thus had no reason to go through the verification process.

Nice analysis. Bravo!

(thumbs u

The 15,000 verification level probably causes significantly lower realized prices when auctions close around this level. I am sure if you graphed auction results there would be a large flat spot on the curve around this level.

In this case, it was likely exacerbated by the item being auctioned, an ASM 1 in 8.0. This particular book will have significantly more 1st time high bidders (bidders who have never placed a bid in the $15K range and have not been verified) than an average $15K Golden age or a $15K CGC 9.8 silver key because the pool of bidders for an ASM 1 in 8.0 is significantly larger than the other two examples. Additionally and more importantly, it is likely the peak of collecting for the people in said pool and thus they will not have ever spent that much prior and thus had no reason to go through the verification process.

Nice analysis. Bravo!

(thumbs u

How many auctions have we seen where stuff gets bid up to $999,999,999, etc.....I'm sure Paratrooper has placed dozens of those kinds of bids for comics. If I understand the red tape here, it would mean that all kinds of people who put these bids in, typically to with scamming sellers, go through this 15k routine? I'm just curious as it would seem like a pain in the arse to go through this verification hassle just to place a "fake" bid. TBH, i've never heard of this 15k verification thing prior to this thread. After thinking about this for awhile, i'm just surprised i've never heard of it before considering all the scammers we get, swiping comic images from auction houses and subsequently seeing their auctions skyrocket into the stratosphere before the inevitable pulling of the plug.

(shrug)

grinin's reply offers some good possibilities but overall, i'm still surprised that i've never heard of this verification before, i've seen lots of items with lots of phony bids over 15k. must be a lot of people who don't mind going through the process to punish scammers I suppose.

Paying the CC fees is a given. Point being; By electing to send a gift via PP but authorizing/funding it with a non-PP card, doesn't that take the ball out of PP's court

putting it under coverage with the CC? I thought the gift procedure helps the receiver

of fundsstrategies like sending below the 10G mark avoid federal scrutiny,yes?

PP > Personal > Gift

When used for purchases, is expressly done to avoid paypal fees.

When using a CC with PP, there is no way to avoid the fees anyway, so there is no point in doing a Personal > Gift payment. Just have TF send you an invoice if you are using a CC. You get the minimal PP buyer protection coverage in this manner. With Personal there is no PP protection whatsoever.

As has been mentioned before: All of the buyer protection features (especially those from Paypal) offer virtually zero protection from professional scammers. It protects you from the honest people and sometimes from the clueless insufficiently_thoughtful_persons.

to bid, but this was a HUGE commitment that I was still freaked out about making...

WTTB!

I would not hesitate to buy or sell to John, he's as stand up as they get.

#2] Yes, I admit to waiting up to the last minute

None of this has anything to do with the verification process eBay now requires for bids over $15K

You had not gone through the verification process, which must be completed before your bid will register. If the auction times out before then ... well, to bad.

Yes, that does make sense...BTW,this bit about following the threads [no joke,I love cats & the toys they bat around, but I am embarrassed to admit I am stumbling to follow the thread.

Chalk that up to being nervous,scattered & recovering from heat exhaustion...

I grabbed this thread by clicking on your handle,is that the best way?

If you look at the top of the page, you will see a link under "my stuff".with a flashing envelope. If you click on the drop down menu, you will see My Messages. I will send you a PM (private message) so that I can give you some clues about getting around without adding them to this thread.

How many auctions have we seen where stuff gets bid up to $999,999,999, etc.....I'm sure Paratrooper has placed dozens of those kinds of bids for comics. If I understand the red tape here, it would mean that all kinds of people who put these bids in, typically to with scamming sellers, go through this 15k routine? I'm just curious as it would seem like a pain in the arse to go through this verification hassle just to place a "fake" bid. TBH, i've never heard of this 15k verification thing prior to this thread.

Me either. (shrug) I like to think I'm pretty current on all things ebay, and FWIW it was news to me too.

How many auctions have we seen where stuff gets bid up to $999,999,999, etc.....I'm sure Paratrooper has placed dozens of those kinds of bids for comics. If I understand the red tape here, it would mean that all kinds of people who put these bids in, typically to with scamming sellers, go through this 15k routine? I'm just curious as it would seem like a pain in the arse to go through this verification hassle just to place a "fake" bid. TBH, i've never heard of this 15k verification thing prior to this thread.

Me either. (shrug) I like to think I'm pretty current on all things ebay, and FWIW it was news to me too.

Ditto, and I think that's because it's a non-issue for most of us since we are sellers on eBay. If you want to list anything, you need to be verified.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/account/id-verify.html

ID Verify establishes your proof of identity, which helps both buyers and sellers feel confident trading with each other.

When you become ID Verified, you can:

Provide proof of identity without putting your credit card on file.

Become a seller.

Open an eBay Store.

List with Buy It Now or the Best Offer option.

List using the Multiple Item or Fixed Price format.

Buy items priced over $15,000 with Buy It Now.

Bid above $15,000 on auctions.

Access and sell on eBay's Adult Only category.

So any seller did this so they can list, never knowing it was also required for the above stuff as well. That's why most of us have never seen it when we put in $50K thrill bids on 0-feedback scammers selling keys

Ditto, and I think that's because it's a non-issue for most of us since we are sellers on eBay. If you want to list anything, you need to be verified.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/account/id-verify.html

ID Verify establishes your proof of identity, which helps both buyers and sellers feel confident trading with each other.

When you become ID Verified, you can:

Provide proof of identity without putting your credit card on file.

Become a seller.

Open an eBay Store.

List with Buy It Now or the Best Offer option.

List using the Multiple Item or Fixed Price format.

Buy items priced over $15,000 with Buy It Now.

Bid above $15,000 on auctions.

Access and sell on eBay's Adult Only category.

So any seller did this so they can list, never knowing it was also required for the above stuff as well. That's why most of us have never seen it when we put in $50K thrill bids on 0-feedback scammers selling keys

OK, that makes sense. Thanks for clearing it up. (thumbs u