• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Using UV protection sheets to protect your exposed slabs...

42 posts in this topic

I have a few of my prized slabs on display in my comic room. I was thinking about them fading over time and thought that maybe a UV sheet between the slab and the slab Mylar bag would provide UV protection.

Anyone ever do this? What type of UV sheets would be good to get?

Obviously it can't be dark as you won't see the book...

(BTW - I posted this in the Comic Events forum accidentally). doh!

Thanks

Edited by Mark 1

Update: I went to Pepboys today (auto store for those not in the USA) and bought their lightest tint...brought it home and it's way too dark...you can't see the comic. lol

Oh well, I love the idea of displaying my books but I was hoping I can stop asking my wife to keep the blinds closed all day.

Oh well....

from my own research a while ago, this might be the thing you are looking for

http://www.tru-vue.com/Tru-Vue/Products/

personally after my research, I decided when the time is right (next year), I will take real good high quality pics of the books I want to display and I plan to have prints made and put them in frames to display. This way, I can display them without worrying about long term damage as well as theft...the books stay at the bank vault so I don't have to worry about fire, hurricane, and theft. I am waiting to move into the new house next year to display the reproductions.

CGC should be incorperating UV protection into the plastic of the slabs automatically.

Too expensive. Don't display your comics near the sunlight. That will avoid all of the trouble.

I agree that it's too expensive to incorporate UV protection in the plastic...would be great though.

I have three slabs displayed in a wall unit in my home office...it's nice to look at them as art pieces and not have to look for them if I want to check them out.

But, that comes with all kinds of concerns...UV fading, theft, etc. I'll probably put them away and rotate some books on display so fading won't be a concern.

The smartest thing to do is put them away in a safety deposit box...but I probably won't do that...I enjoy looking at them too much. It's bad enough I can't read the damn things! lol

CGC should be incorperating UV protection into the plastic of the slabs automatically.

Too expensive. Don't display your comics near the sunlight. That will avoid all of the trouble.

Oh yeah, those $2.99 sunglasses at Thrifty have full UV protection and it must cost a bundle to make those lenses...

Oh yeah, those $2.99 sunglasses at Thrifty have full UV protection and it must cost a bundle to make those lenses...

You really think those glasses have full UV protection for $2.99? I really don't think so.

And, if they use that kind of protection from UV you wouldnt be able to see the comic book.

Anyone displaying their books in direct sunlight is asking for trouble, with or without UV protection. My books are displayed in a room where the shades always remain closed. Also, I rotate the books around once a month because : A) I get bored looking at the same books and B) Even flourescent light will cause fading of the books over time.

There is a great product made by Picture Shields (pictureshields.com) that I purchased several months ago and it seems to work, although the real test will be over several years. Still, there was no immediate fading of reds, which makes me very optimistic. The great thing is that you can order standard pre-cut sizes, custom sizes, or sheets and cut your own. The prices seem reasonable to me.

Richard

I have a few of my prized slabs on display in my comic room. I was thinking about them fading over time and thought that maybe a UV sheet between the slab and the slab Mylar bag would provide UV protection.

You put your slabs in a Mylar bag?

Yes to protect the plastic from scratching. Lots of forum members put mylars on their slabs. You can get them from Hotflips. I'll be ordering some soon.

(thumbs u