• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rarest Silver Age Marvel Keys?

78 posts in this topic

Another truly scarce key Marvel is Rawhide Kid #17. Published in 1960 (and so arguably more Atlas than Marvel - the same argument applies to TTA27, I think), the comic is the origin and true first appearance of the Rawhide Kid, sports Lee and Kirby/Ayers story and art, and is impossible to find in anything above Fine. Only 4 copies have ever been certified, with the top census copy being a single 8.0.

Indeed. Most Marvel Westerns from 1959-1962 are impossbly rare...

But I'm guessing he's thinking "Superhero"... hm

He said Silver Age Marvel "keys", not "Superheroes" (gee, that's fun! :insane: )

Hence the "I'm guessing" qualifier...I'm nothing if not a CYAer....

Doofus.

:insane:

And thanks for spilling the beans on RK #17...now I'll NEVER be able to upgrade my G/VG copy. :cry:lol

(For the record, he also said first appearances, which TTA #35, DD #7, St #101, etc, aren't. ;) )

Doofus.

Lighten up, some contributors to the thread wanted to discuss the rarest keys in terms of high grade. Others wanted to discuss the rarest keys irrespective of genre. No need to try and run the thread over with a steamroller.

Another truly scarce key Marvel is Rawhide Kid #17. Published in 1960 (and so arguably more Atlas than Marvel - the same argument applies to TTA27, I think), the comic is the origin and true first appearance of the Rawhide Kid, sports Lee and Kirby/Ayers story and art, and is impossible to find in anything above Fine. Only 4 copies have ever been certified, with the top census copy being a single 8.0.

He said Silver Age Marvel "keys", not "Superheroes" (gee, that's fun! :insane: )

Doofus.

And thanks for spilling the beans on RK #17...now I'll NEVER be able to upgrade my G/VG copy. :cry:lol

(For the record, he also said first appearances, which TTA #35, DD #7, St #101, etc, aren't. ;) )

This one is technically SA.....1957......and rare.....try to find one in ANY grade. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Black Rider Rides Again # 1

scan0001.jpg

In terms of high grade copies:

TTA 35

JIM 84

TTA 27

Sgt Fury 1

Hulk 1

DD 7

ST 101

FF 3

ok we have the rare supply part now what about the demand part?

Which of these has the higest demand? hm

Hulk 1

Agreed. (thumbs u

yeah that was a no-brainer doh!

ok what comes after that? now we are talking.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

Doofus.

This one is technically SA.....1957......and rare.....try to find one in ANY grade. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Black Rider Rides Again # 1

scan0001.jpg

Those Atlas books are just so darn scarce.

I think it was Gerry Ross who showed me a vg-ish copy in San Diego this year. He was asking $200, but would have come down some, I'm sure. I wanted it, but only had $100 left.

That was the only copy I've seen, ever.

I think it was Gerry Ross who showed me a vg-ish copy in San Diego this year. He was asking $200, but would have come down some, I'm sure. I wanted it, but only had $100 left.

Maybe you could get it by mail.....you'd love it....almost all Kirby inside....I'd go 200 for a VG if I didn't have one. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a fried of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. Bill has a slabbed 8.0 that Heritage snuck into one of those weekly auctions :pullhair:

Good feedback so far.

I think some people confuse low CGC census numbers with true scarcity. Going with the low census definition, is FF #3 truly rarer or are there just less graded copies out there because it's not as desirable as #4 or #5? I'm pretty sure its the latter.

I guess the core of my question is, taking in to account both raw and slabbed books, which key books are truly rare, or if your none meet your definition of "rare", which are hardest to find...not just low slab census numbers?

Edited by AGGIEZ

Sorry, but discussing 'rare' Marvel keys is pointless = they are all plentiful.

I was at the Chicago Con yesterday and if you had the money, any Marvel key you wanted was available. Heck, Metropolis alone has multiple copies of everything.

Don't get me wrong, I like Marvel, I collect Marvel, but rare ? No way.

How about Tales to Astonish #1. The first one I have seen in awhile sold on Heritage this month and I noticed there is not one graded higher that 8.5 and only 7 copies 7.0 or better. That seems like a hard one in high grade.

So what's the range of opinions on TTA27 being a Marvel superhero comic?

I'm of the opinion that this book is more properly categorized as an Atlas than a Marvel comic, and is more an Antman prototype than a true first appearance of the superhero. While it is true that Hank Pym first appears, there is neither a costume nor superhero handle introduced. The storyline is arguably more of the Atlas monster type. I believe a good case can be made that the book is not a Marvel superhero key in the strict sense of the category.

I could agree with that. In which case the superhero key of TTA is 35, which unfortunately is actually tougher than TTA 27 to find in high grade.

Gerry Ross was roaming around at SD? Incredible. The only place that guy should be in is a jail cell.

Gerry Ross was roaming around at SD? Incredible. The only place that guy should be in is a jail cell.

+1 :mad:

How about Tales to Astonish #1. The first one I have seen in awhile sold on Heritage this month and I noticed there is not one graded higher that 8.5 and only 7 copies 7.0 or better. That seems like a hard one in high grade.

Rare....the simple answer is no.... :(

Rarer than some of the other Silver Age books...yes...

But actually rare...no way!!!!!!!!!!!

+ 2 from past bad mail order experience. :frustrated:

Think Gerry was asking $2k on his coverless Whiz 1 (2) at SDCC July/10. :screwy:

+ 2 from past bad mail order experience. :frustrated:

Think Gerry was asking $2k on his coverless Whiz 1 (2) at SDCC July/10. :screwy:

I'm surprised he didn't put a xerox cover on it and try to sell it as a NM unrestored Whiz 2.