• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TWD TV SHOW--Offical Discussion Thread
4 4

10,800 posts in this topic

I was trying to find out from my AMC rep why they are doing this break but she had no real idea. What is the usual reasoning behind a network having a break mid season?

Found this comment while researching. Sounds reasonable I guess.

"Shows generally run between 13-26 episodes a year(~22 being the norm for broadcast stations), so at least half the year new episodes won't be on. It also takes more than a week's time to film most shows (except studio audience sitcoms), so taking a break can allow the production to get ahead again.

Also, networks like to program shows when people will be watching, so they generally skip showing new episodes of regular shows for a few weeks around Christmas, around Spring Break, and in the summer. These are the most likely times people will be traveling or doing outdoor activities, and are less likely to pay attention to television.

Reality TV is much cheaper to produce, so they can just keep showing it without a break and during summer because it doesn't need as many viewers to still make a profit."

Nice! First confirmation I have seen that Michonne is coming!!! Which African american female actor could do her justice?

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2011/11/the-walking-deads-robert-kirkman-more-new-characters-including-michonne-in-the-works.html

Have you seen "Death Proof"?

tracie-thoms-death-proof-med.jpg

Oh yea.... good call! hm Shes hot too.....

I was trying to find out from my AMC rep why they are doing this break but she had no real idea. What is the usual reasoning behind a network having a break mid season?

"Shows generally run between 13-26 episodes a year(~22 being the norm for broadcast stations), so at least half the year new episodes won't be on. It also takes more than a week's time to film most shows (except studio audience sitcoms), so taking a break can allow the production to get ahead again.

Also, networks like to program shows when people will be watching, so they generally skip showing new episodes of regular shows for a few weeks around Christmas, around Spring Break, and in the summer. These are the most likely times people will be traveling or doing outdoor activities, and are less likely to pay attention to television.

Reality TV is much cheaper to produce, so they can just keep showing it without a break and during summer because it doesn't need as many viewers to still make a profit."

AMC is silly with their programming. They took their bread and butter show, Mad Men, and made me wait until 2012, almost two years, for the next season, WTF!

breaking bad, boardwalk empire, mad men, homeland, sons of anarchy- the best shows on television all have 12-13 episode seasons and none of them take three month breaks midway through. this is idiotic. maybe they need an extra 3 months off camera to find sophia, they can't seem to resolve her situation on camera.

Edited by paperheart

breaking bad, boardwalk empire, mad men, homeland, sons of anarchy- the best shows on television all have 12-13 episode seasons and none of them take three month breaks midway through. this is idiotic. maybe they need an extra 3 months off camera to find sophia, they can't seem to resolve her situation on camera.

They coud've cut out the last three episodes by starting the latest one with a SIX MONTHS LATER caption.

doh!

lol Who? Oh yeah, the lost girl. Yeah...over it awhile back. My focus skips over the mention of her search and moves on with the action and rest of the story, i.e. Daryl's trip.

I think she's in the barn anyway.

Do I win anything? I found Sophia on Saturday, she managed to get all the way up to Cincinnati. :)

They coud've cut out the last three episodes by starting the latest one with a SIX MONTHS LATER caption.

doh!

No way. This is the best season yet. Instead of the characters giving us boring monologue to express themselves, we actually see character development through their actions.

When this season started out with another one of Rick's monologues, I wanted to shoot myself. Luckily, sanity has been restored.

The lost girl is a brilliant plot device. The Walking Dead has always been a story about the survivors, not the zombies, and what better way to get into their heads than to lay out a gigantic morality test in front of them.

Everyone seems to be missing all that we are learning about these characters in the face of dealing with this missing girl. It's not about the girl. It's about how they handle the situation and what it tells us about their character.

The lost girl is a brilliant plot device. The Walking Dead has always been a story about the survivors, not the zombies, and what better way to get into their heads than to lay out a gigantic morality test in front of them.

Everyone seems to be missing all that we are learning about these characters in the face of dealing with this missing girl. It's not about the girl. It's about how they handle the situation and what it tells us about their character.

+1. It also makes us look deeper into ourselves. What would we do in that situation? Would the people on this board who are fed up express the same feelings if they were there and not sitting on the couch? It is a lot different going to Carol and and telling her that you feel we should abandon her kid (and risking the scorn of the group) than it is to complain on a message board. What would people really do?

And it is kind of ironic that people now like Daryl and he seems to be the one most determined to find that kid. That compassion is probably what led to most people beginning to like the guy.

+1

Daryl's trip with the whole big brother thing in addition to his sympathy for Carol. Kicks arse with the whole flower and doll thing.

Shane has a good point about it dragging the team and it starts to affect others' POV.

Rick is torn with his buddy, but his guilt and heart are leasing him in a different direction.

Indeed, I've forgotten about Sophia and have moved on with the story because of that. I wonder, for those that have kids, what path would you have chosen? I have a little girl and still can't decide what I would do. Closest thing I can think of is that I would not drag the team down with me, but I would go and search for her on my own and if people would be willing to help, then I wouldn't deny them. That way, they are making a choice and not being forced to follow the pack because of protection in numbers, who drives the vehicle, etc. hm

Closest thing I can think of is that I would not drag the team down with me, but I would go and search for her on my own and if people would be willing to help, then I wouldn't deny them.

I don't think most people think they are being dragged down. Besides, if they leave the girl, who else will they leave? Maybe T-Dog starts viewing himself as expendable (and not worthy of a search) and does something rash. Maybe Carol gets distraught and does something rash. Who knows? I think there is no other choice but to put in a very strong effort to find the girl.

Closest thing I can think of is that I would not drag the team down with me, but I would go and search for her on my own and if people would be willing to help, then I wouldn't deny them.

I don't think most people think they are being dragged down. Besides, if they leave the girl, who else will they leave? Maybe T-Dog starts viewing himself as expendable (and not worthy of a search) and does something rash. Maybe Carol gets distraught and does something rash. Who knows? I think there is no other choice but to put in a very strong effort to find the girl.

On a lot of the message boards people are complaining about "they should get going" and "what are they waiting around for?"

If you look at them, this is the first time in months they have had a safe place to hold up. Where do people want them to go? Fort Benning? What if there's nothing there? What if it's worse? If the military isn't holding the CDC, which is the last line of defense for a viral outbreak, what makes everyone think that this farm isn't the best thing they may find, perhaps ever?

So search for the kid forever, it's not like they are going to miss Monday Night Football or anything else for that matter.

there's a car commercial where this sedan is driving around a deserted prison and then breaks loose through the front gate. Seems like a good potential location for the survivors

I don't think most people in the group think they are being dragged down. Besides, if they leave the girl, who else will they leave? Maybe T-Dog starts viewing himself as expendable (and not worthy of a search) and does something rash. Maybe Carol gets distraught and does something rash. Who knows? I think there is no other choice but to put in a very strong effort to find the girl.

On a lot of the message boards people are complaining about "they should get going" and "what are they waiting around for?"

If you look at them, this is the first time in months they have had a safe place to hold up. Where do people want them to go? Fort Benning? What if there's nothing there? What if it's worse? If the military isn't holding the CDC, which is the last line of defense for a viral outbreak, what makes everyone think that this farm isn't the best thing they may find, perhaps ever?

So search for the kid forever, it's not like they are going to miss Monday Night Football or anything else for that matter.

Fixed. :)

Edited by Claudio

there's a car commercial where this sedan is driving around a deserted prison and then breaks loose through the front gate. Seems like a good potential location for the survivors

Well not with a broken front gate. :makepoint:

Sophia is with the other survivors. Y'know the ones from the tail section...

Oh wait...was she maybe kidnapped by a top secret group that have settled in a clearing in the forest and are now conducting psychic experimentations on her?

LOST

The reduced budget seems to be showing in my opinion. I'm not enjoying all that much this season. But, I'll take it nonetheless.

How? :popcorn:

I think this season is a hell of a lot better and no blowing up building is a nice change from that god awful first season