• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TWD TV SHOW--Offical Discussion Thread
4 4

10,800 posts in this topic

AMC is a great platform, but the key is that it's more accessible. HBO is huge, but TWD would never come CLOSE to the Nielsen numbers they get on AMC. That means more eyes, more ad money, more product tie-ins, and more readers for his comic. I think it's genius that AMC green lit this, and I think every network is trying to find the next TWD.

Exactly....Cause some people don't have HBO.... :sorry:

she would have NEVER been as cool or good looking as her comic counterpart

She was at the end of this season.

I think if Kirkman knew just how big this show was going to be he would have maybe used HBO or Starz. Show would have been much more suitable for those networks.

Nothing would have to be censored.

TWD is a good TV show, but I am just not dying to see it every week anymore compared to other ones anymore.

I wish I was. :sorry:

Cuz you are on the pipe :screwy:

Jimbo

Are you coming to WW Philly? :preach:

Is the Pope still Catholic? I promise you though I still will have never seen an episode of GOT by then, nor a LOTR movie :cloud9:

Jimbo

Edited by cgcworld

Then don't watch anymore

Why? I thought Season 3 was great but the finale was limp.

that was a mess!

4 different stories trying to fit into 45 minutes & the ending was WEAK beyond belief

Not picking on you, but I meant to ask this earlier and forgot.

For people that thought the episode sucked, what would have made it "great"?

It was IMO just too forced & trying to cram so much into one episode.

The Governer bit was almost as if they realised they didn't have enough time for the

plot they wanted to use so just changed it and

shot his own group

They were trying to fit in Andreas story, The Governors story, Ricks group story, the people left at Woodburys story, trying to show how hardened / evil Carl has become.

It was just too much for one episode.

On top of that when the Governor

secured the prison but forgot to check what was behind the plainly visible upper level barricades

doh!

and to actually answer your question...

"what would have made it "great"?"

anything apart from what they showed

Here's the thing, the show is its own entity, separate and distinct from the books.

It took Lori dying the way she did and the way they did it for me to personally let go of the comics as some sort of blueprint for the show and to let my expectations for the series go and to give what the show creators are doing a chance as its own distinct narrative.

It's sort of an alternate WD universe. The people are there but the story is going to be its own and each slight change alters that universe more and more.

They used the books as a jumping off point to tell their own story and to have their own themes running through them. In season 3 the theme was about "doing it alone" vs. "needing to work and live together". The push/pull of those two ideas...of trust vs distance...ran like a thread through every episode and that's what was tied together and wrapped up at season's end.

The people producing this show aren't looking at the books and saying "we have to end on issue #33 or #42 or #48" they are putting together believable human drama and examining, in excruciating detail, what human beings go through internally and externally in such circumstances.

The zombies and the end of the world are simply a staging point for a larger morality play. That morality play is what makes the Walking Dead compelling. It's not specific plot points or that a character lives or dies, it's what those characters live or die FOR.

Rick trusted no one, pushed everyone away, to his increasing detriment. The Governor kept only what he could use and destroyed everything else. Carl began to become more like the Governor. Andrea gave her life, in Rick's presence, trying to forward the idea of coming together, trusting, and not killing each other.

We see Rick's epiphany through the prism of the sacrifices of Merle, Milton, and Andrea where he realized that "You can't do it alone."

It's a powerful narrative, if you let it be, and if you don't enslave yourself to expectations of a comic book story that hasn't been relevant to the story lines of this show since season one.

I don't see it as the comic book so not sure why you quoted me and then gave this

(shrug)

that was a mess!

4 different stories trying to fit into 45 minutes & the ending was WEAK beyond belief

Andrea not taking her sweet time trying to escape. It can be jarring how stupid the twd characters can be. Milton is about to turn into a zombie but Andrea just sits back and chats with him. Merle sets off a car alarm and doesn't think to look for zombies who might be atracted to noise. These things keep TWD from being great. It happens too often.

One great thing about TWD's finale was Herschel ratting out Carl. I hate Herschel for that more than I hate the governor. If Herschel would have been the grown up in the group, he would have taken charge when the kid didn't drop the gun. He should have commanded the kid to stop. That kid from Woodbury was much bigger than Carl and could have taken him hostage. He left Carl no choice but to shoot. When he went complaining to Rick, I wanted to see him die a horrible and gruesome death. May hatred for Herschel is what will keep me interested in the show.

she would have NEVER been as cool or good looking as her comic counterpart

She was at the end of this season.

I think if Kirkman knew just how big this show was going to be he would have maybe used HBO or Starz. Show would have been much more suitable for those networks.

Nothing would have to be censored.

TWD is a good TV show, but I am just not dying to see it every week anymore compared to other ones anymore.

I wish I was. :sorry:

Cuz you are on the pipe :screwy:

Jimbo

Are you coming to WW Philly? :preach:

Is the Pope still Catholic? I promise you though I still will have never seen an episode of GOT by then, nor a LOTR movie :cloud9:

Jimbo

Your just nervous that once you watch GoT you will have to rethink your WD 1st place love. ;)

Middle school corny LOTR is garbage compared to GoT. :preach:

AMC is a great platform, but the key is that it's more accessible. HBO is huge, but TWD would never come CLOSE to the Nielsen numbers they get on AMC. That means more eyes, more ad money, more product tie-ins, and more readers for his comic. I think it's genius that AMC green lit this, and I think every network is trying to find the next TWD.

Who doesn't have HBO or bit torrent? (:

True Blood and Sopranos made more money being on HBO. (shrug) i

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

Then don't watch anymore

Why? I thought Season 3 was great but the finale was limp.

that was a mess!

It was IMO just too forced & trying to cram so much into one episode.

The Governer bit was almost as if they realised they didn't have enough time for the

plot they wanted to use so just changed it and

shot his own group

They were trying to fit in Andreas story, The Governors story, Ricks group story, the people left at Woodburys story, trying to show how hardened / evil Carl has become.

It was just too much for one episode.

On top of that when the Governor

secured the prison but forgot to check what was behind the plainly visible upper level barricades

doh!

and to actually answer your question...

"what would have made it "great"?"

anything apart from what they showed

Here's the thing, the show is its own entity, separate and distinct from the books.

It took Lori dying the way she did and the way they did it for me to personally let go of the comics as some sort of blueprint for the show and to let my expectations for the series go and to give what the show creators are doing a chance as its own distinct narrative.

It's sort of an alternate WD universe. The people are there but the story is going to be its own and each slight change alters that universe more and more.

They used the books as a jumping off point to tell their own story and to have their own themes running through them. In season 3 the theme was about "doing it alone" vs. "needing to work and live together". The push/pull of those two ideas...of trust vs distance...ran like a thread through every episode and that's what was tied together and wrapped up at season's end.

The people producing this show aren't looking at the books and saying "we have to end on issue #33 or #42 or #48" they are putting together believable human drama and examining, in excruciating detail, what human beings go through internally and externally in such circumstances.

The zombies and the end of the world are simply a staging point for a larger morality play. That morality play is what makes the Walking Dead compelling. It's not specific plot points or that a character lives or dies, it's what those characters live or die FOR.

Rick trusted no one, pushed everyone away, to his increasing detriment. The Governor kept only what he could use and destroyed everything else. Carl began to become more like the Governor. Andrea gave her life, in Rick's presence, trying to forward the idea of coming together, trusting, and not killing each other.

We see Rick's epiphany through the prism of the sacrifices of Merle, Milton, and Andrea where he realized that "You can't do it alone."

It's a powerful narrative, if you let it be, and if you don't enslave yourself to expectations of a comic book story that hasn't been relevant to the story lines of this show since season one.

I don't see it as the comic book so not sure why you quoted me and then gave this

(shrug)

It wasn't just for you and it didn't refer to simply seeing it as a comic, that was only part of what I said, and it wasn't just for you. That happens on message boards sometimes. lol

The balance was they aren't trying to rush through a story to do some cliche action movie ending. They are running threads of plot and theme through entire seasons, but so many folks get stuck in "She needs to die" or specific minute details that they miss the theme and they miss the overarching story.

It was just an analysis overall given how much of the criticism is "Andrea's not Andrea" and "Why is Herschel still Alive?" and wanting characters to live and die exactly as they did in the comic or why things didn't play out like the last 10 minutes of any Chuck Norris flick. lol

True Blood and Sopranos made more money beng on HBO. (shrug)

True Blood and the Sopranos were only first run on HBO and while they did well financially there's no way to know if they made MORE being on HBO than anywhere else because they never had a first run anywhere else.

True Blood and the Sopranos were only first run on HBO and while they did well financially there's no way to know if they made MORE being on HBO than anywhere else because they never had a first run anywhere else.

HBO, Showtime, Starz etc. let TV shows keep it real. People want non-censored entrainment and usually will pay the extra to get it.

I agree with you, but my money bet would be TWD would make more money on HBO than AMC. Again just my opinion cause I do see the counter argument since HBO is not a free channel.

AMC and FX are basically the only two cable networks that somewhat are realistic.

HBO, Showtime, Starz etc. let TV shows keep it real. People want non-censored entrainment and usually will pay the extra to get it.

I agree with you, but my money bet would be TWD would make more money on HBO than AMC. Again just my opinion cause I do see the counter argument since HBO is not a free channel.

AMC and FX are basically the only two cable networks that somewhat are realistic.

HBO doesn't have commercials, and doesn't sell ad time based on ratings, and when ratings are record breaking like they are for the WD AMC can capitalize on that and generate more revenue because of that than HBO can. So I am not sure it's a comparison that's easy to make.

HBO doesn't have commercials, and doesn't sell ad time based on ratings, and when ratings are record breaking like they are for the WD AMC can capitalize on that and generate more revenue because of that than HBO can. So I am not sure it's a comparison that's easy to make.

GoT and Sopranos has gotten me to buy the books and seasons on blu ray.

TWD on AMC has gotten me to hit the DVR button and FF through all the commercials, and buy nothing after market.

For me it might just come down to I can't go back to censored TV after watching shows on HBO or Showtime. I tried giving The Following a chance on Fox, but I quickly lost interest in that show after episode 2.

I hear what you are saying though.

I am sure it did well in the ratings. Star Wars Episode I did well at the box office because of the hype.

Hype sells a lot, but if the hype stops so does the ratings in future episodes.

I would say more than half the people I am friends with on Facebook were majorly disappointed in the finale from their posts. All of them have never read the comic book series.

Edited by Spiderman-on-Tilt

Exactly....Cause some people don't have HBO.... :sorry:

HBO total U.S. subscriber base in 2011: 28 million

Variety

The Walking Dead's total viewership this past sunday: 12.4 million

AMC

Unless Kirkman can do something no one has ever done before and pull nearly half of HBO's viewers, AMC is the best thing that's ever happened to him.

AMC used to just play great classic movies, then out of no where TV shows started popping up. HBO has been around since I was a child and it's uncensored. AMC IS the best thing that happened to Kirkman. He's on an island right now sipping Mai Thais, or at least that's what I would be doing.... lol

that was a mess!

Andrea not taking her sweet time trying to escape. It can be jarring how stupid the twd characters can be. Milton is about to turn into a zombie but Andrea just sits back and chats with him. Merle sets off a car alarm and doesn't think to look for zombies who might be atracted to noise. These things keep TWD from being great. It happens too often.

One great thing about TWD's finale was Herschel ratting out Carl. I hate Herschel for that more than I hate the governor. If Herschel would have been the grown up in the group, he would have taken charge when the kid didn't drop the gun. He should have commanded the kid to stop. That kid from Woodbury was much bigger than Carl and could have taken him hostage. He left Carl no choice but to shoot. When he went complaining to Rick, I wanted to see him die a horrible and gruesome death. May hatred for Herschel is what will keep me interested in the show.

I felt the same way about Herschel. He could have stepped up and taken charge but instead sat back and watched and then outed Carl for making the chioce he did. He lost any wise old man cred that he had. Otherwise the episode was horrible. I have enjoyed the show and after season 2, I couldn't wait for season 3, now zzz