• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TWD TV SHOW--Offical Discussion Thread
4 4

10,800 posts in this topic

Didnt like the season finale? Call the Whambulance.

The show isn't going anywhere any time soon.

People who are saying the show is mess or that it's becoming a "weak show" are probably the ones that complained in the beginning about Daryl and the different plot twists.

"Hey he's not in the book, why is he in the show, or that didn't happen in the book. blah blah blah"

Talking ish on the show that you still watch?!? oh ok :popcorn:

lol

It's funny when people complain, through this season, about deviations from the comic.

Even Kirkman mentions how many mistakes he made in the comic that he wouldn't do again if he could go back and change things. Comics, with very rare exceptions, do not translate directly and literally to TV or Films.

People who view this source material and gospel that cannot be changed have romanticized it to a point where they remember the quality being beyond what it really was. Great comic series, but not a perfect piece of literature that could not be improved by any stretch of the imagination.

How can you "know" people are losing interest when the season finale was the highest rated show in its own history!?

Didn't know if the sentence should end in an exclaimation point or question mark so I used both :lol:

I have heard a lot of discussion from people that they were done with the show, if not for the fact the new show runner had some excellent episodes season, so they are going to stick it out to see what it is like.

Even people who dislike the show would watch it out of habit, and hopes it gets better.

Yes, it is a hugely popular show, but those viewers can tank in a season.

Season 4 will probably still break new numbers, as people come back to see the new shower runner.

I'm curious about what the 3rd or 4th episodes ratings are, and the mid-season finale.

lol

It's funny when people complain, through this season, about deviations from the comic.

Even Kirkman mentions how many mistakes he made in the comic that he wouldn't do again if he could go back and change things. Comics, with very rare exceptions, do not translate directly and literally to TV or Films.

People who view this source material and gospel that cannot be changed have romanticized it to a point where they remember the quality being beyond what it really was. Great comic series, but not a perfect piece of literature that could not be improved by any stretch of the imagination.

Agreed. I think they've done well with the show, keeping the spirit of the comic but also changing it up enough to keep it interesting. I don't want to see it identical to the book. I've said before, I like the TV Guv much better than the comic version. One is believable, the other is not. You can understand why TV Woodbury would follow the Guv. He was charming, charismatic, seemed to be cool headed (for a time). Who would really follow the comic Guv? Maybe a small gang of similarly wired psychos, but not a town of people.

People get all riled up when their favorite character isn't the same as they are in the book. Why? Unless your favorite character is Rick, they're probably nothing more than zombie food. :baiting:

just watched the finale. boo. super boo.

so many reasons to boo, too lazy to type - but seriously, the entire season was pretty lame.

also about syndication - its tough for a show like TWD to syndicate well - each episode is a progression and doesnt really work well on its own -

take any really successfully syndicated show:

seinfeld, mash, law and order, star trek, simpsons -- they all worked well as individual episodes, and because of that, they worked well in syndication...

you cant really watch TWD out of order...can you?

oh, and finally, boo season 3, boo.

Most dramas have that issue, yet they still find their way to syndication.

Smallville is similar. All the episodes tend to build upon one another. You wind up wondering what the fudge happened for 1/2 the time.

Lost is another. 24, Alias, The Shield, etc etc.

Most dramas have that issue, yet they still find their way to syndication.

Smallville is similar. All the episodes tend to build upon one another. You wind up wondering what the fudge happened for 1/2 the time.

Lost is another. 24, Alias, The Shield, etc etc.

The Shield. :cloud9:

I just can't see it happening because he is the central character. The whole show would lose it's core foundation without him. I love the idea that nobody is safe...but I think Rick is.

that was a mess!

4 different stories trying to fit into 45 minutes & the ending was WEAK beyond belief

Not picking on you, but I meant to ask this earlier and forgot.

For people that thought the episode sucked, what would have made it "great"?

It was IMO just too forced & trying to cram so much into one episode.

The Governer bit was almost as if they realised they didn't have enough time for the

plot they wanted to use so just changed it and

shot his own group

They were trying to fit in Andreas story, The Governors story, Ricks group story, the people left at Woodburys story, trying to show how hardened / evil Carl has become.

It was just too much for one episode.

On top of that when the Governor

secured the prison but forgot to check what was behind the plainly visible upper level barricades

doh!

and to actually answer your question...

"what would have made it "great"?"

anything apart from what they showed

Here's the thing, the show is its own entity, separate and distinct from the books.

It took Lori dying the way she did and the way they did it for me to personally let go of the comics as some sort of blueprint for the show and to let my expectations for the series go and to give what the show creators are doing a chance as its own distinct narrative.

It's sort of an alternate WD universe. The people are there but the story is going to be its own and each slight change alters that universe more and more.

They used the books as a jumping off point to tell their own story and to have their own themes running through them. In season 3 the theme was about "doing it alone" vs. "needing to work and live together". The push/pull of those two ideas...of trust vs distance...ran like a thread through every episode and that's what was tied together and wrapped up at season's end.

The people producing this show aren't looking at the books and saying "we have to end on issue #33 or #42 or #48" they are putting together believable human drama and examining, in excruciating detail, what human beings go through internally and externally in such circumstances.

The zombies and the end of the world are simply a staging point for a larger morality play. That morality play is what makes the Walking Dead compelling. It's not specific plot points or that a character lives or dies, it's what those characters live or die FOR.

Rick trusted no one, pushed everyone away, to his increasing detriment. The Governor kept only what he could use and destroyed everything else. Carl began to become more like the Governor. Andrea gave her life, in Rick's presence, trying to forward the idea of coming together, trusting, and not killing each other.

We see Rick's epiphany through the prism of the sacrifices of Merle, Milton, and Andrea where he realized that "You can't do it alone."

It's a powerful narrative, if you let it be, and if you don't enslave yourself to expectations of a comic book story that hasn't been relevant to the story lines of this show since season one.

Very well put. :applause:

I think the new showrunner, Scott Grimple, is very talented and has had a hand in a lot of moments (big and small) that define the series. He's introduced new elements that really expand the new world they live in and give nuances to their characters.

I think he contributed to the episode where Sophie comes out of the barn too.

So Season 4 should be very good I hope. :wishluck: