• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Starting over with a new collection: How would you proceed?

61 posts in this topic

I recently came back with one of my first goals to get my hands on all the Azrael related books that are floating around.

Can we PLEASE add a sarcasm emoticon to the mix?

Investments? Try picking stocks and buying real estate investment trust shares, but leave out the comics.

Interesting statement given the respective performance of each over the past decade.

Buy low, sell high :grin: My REIT mutual fund hit a 15 year low last year; purchased it in 3Q09, it's up over 60%. As for stocks, it's a picker's market.

Hey AK :hi:

I'm starting from scratch right now. I've decided to collect VF+/- bronze keys . Easy on the wallet and it gives me some focus when I start jonesing to make another comic purchase.

The 1st 3 books in my new collection.... :)

Hey Chris :hi:

I'm doing the same thing for the same reasons, except I'm doing both silver and bronze, and I'm aiming for a lower grade range.

I have no plans to "invest" in my new collection because I have no faith in the sustainability of current prices for most books. My new chosen grade range guarantees that I'll never have to worry about what the market is doing at any given time. And pressing? Fuggedaboutit.

I have no plans to "invest" in my new collection because I have no faith in the sustainability of current prices for most books. My new chosen grade range guarantees that I'll never have to worry about what the market is doing at any given time. And pressing? Fuggedaboutit.

Sounds like the enjoyable route to comic collecting. :applause:

I had a similar situation where I was away from the hobby for a while for personal reasons and then came back into it.

What I did was find a new focus, I concentrated on runs because then I felt an added feeling of accomplishment, not just a related to the book itself but the process that went into the whole thing.

I think that if I had to further scale it back I'd just collect keys and covers that I like and really in a condition that would let me enjoy what I would be looking for. In my case, I think I'd go a little lower to allow me to go after more, but that's just me, I could see others taking the approach that if they get just one big book they're much happier than 3 or 4 in lesser shape.

Really though, when you're talking SA in less than VF, there's no real "right" answer. The G/VG's have as much merit and purpose as the F/VF's. (thumbs u

Alright, a new Bottom Feeder. Beat but complete!

I started over in 2007. Since then I have been focusing on one run in high grade. I figure it will take 5-10 years to complete. After that I am torn. I might collect keys, I might start a run of Showcase. No one in the Registry is trying to get all of those as far as I can tell. I have never bought anything Gold but there is always the chance of that. And I might just go another path- Crime. I have been reading Criminal, Incognito, and Scalped and they have me interested. I'm not sure where I will go but I know it will be fun.

I recently came back with one of my first goals to get my hands on all the Azrael related books that are floating around.

Can we PLEASE add a sarcasm emoticon to the mix?

Not sarcasm but a FOS smiley.

As some of you know, over the last couple of years I've sold off the lion's share of my HG SA ASM collection, and most of my bronze/copper was lost in an unfortunate situation. After a brief hiatus away from these boards, and the hobby as a whole, I've realized that whether I like it or not, comics will always be in the back of my mind, and I enjoy this hobby too much to give it up completely. That being said, my outlook on this hobby has changed drastically, and I think I've found a way to enjoy it again, as a consequence.

So here's my question: knowing everything you know today, if you woke up tomorrow with no books, what approach would you take to start over, assuming you had the same collecting budget? Would you change your buying habits or your focus? Would you buy the best you can afford, or collect below your means? Would you focus in on a niche, or branch out and try other things?

Just to be clear, I've already decided how I personally will proceed with the hobby, so I'm not looking for advice; I'm just interested in hearing how each of you would proceed if you were in my shoes, staring down a pile of empty short boxes.

What I have done personally is go back to bronze age books.They are fun to read and dont cost a fortune.I picked up the Warlock series,first bullseye.Not high grade but a great read.

Although I still have most of the comics I had when I was a kid, I did take a long comic book break and started up again about two years ago. I think if I all the sudden didn't have any comics I would pretty much do what I am doing now, which is focus on certain titles and runs, and once they are complete goo after a couple more titles and runs. There are endless comics I want, but if I concentrate on smaller areas I'll get to read these stories to completion while I work on the next one :)

But, if I dind't already have the floppies I would probably rely more on trades when I could.

I think I would most likely replace the prizes of my previous collection and then continue along the same line I am now. I think my collection would have less fillers, less series, more signatures, and move slabbed books.

That's the idea. (thumbs u

When I first starting buying back issues as a teen, I was just trying to find books I wanted to own, at a price I could afford, and was happy with whatever I could get. I was thrilled with my first ASM 14 which was probably a VG, and enjoyed getting it more than the CGC 9.4 I shelled out for several years later. When I got the VG, I read it and enjoyed it; when I got my 9.4, I locked it up at the bank and obsessively tracked subsequent sales of similar copies. Not as fun.

I'm going to handle this hobby the way I handle fine dining; I'll indulge when the mood strikes, and consider the money spent when I do.

...I decided a few years back to sell all my high grade slabs,....it took me about four years to slowly sell them off,...about two years ago I decided that I wanted to put together a full run of DC's from the month I was born that were at least a fine or better,...but nothing in the high grade slab range,...8.5's tops,...I generally spend no more than $50.00 per book unless it's a key,...many less than $20.00,...every time I aquire a book I start searching for a book in the next month,...but at any given time I am not looking for more than 30 books,...right now my collection ranges from June 1962 to October 1962,...it's a real challenge to find the more obscure books like funny animals and romance in mid-high grade,...and here's the most freaky part,...when I get a book,....I READ it,...all slabbed books are cracked and set free,....

CRACK YOUR SLABS PEOPLE AND SET YOURSELF FREE!!!!

That's the idea. (thumbs u

When I first starting buying back issues as a teen, I was just trying to find books I wanted to own, at a price I could afford, and was happy with whatever I could get. I was thrilled with my first ASM 14 which was probably a VG, and enjoyed getting it more than the CGC 9.4 I shelled out for several years later. When I got the VG, I read it and enjoyed it; when I got my 9.4, I locked it up at the bank and obsessively tracked subsequent sales of similar copies. Not as fun.

I'm going to handle this hobby the way I handle fine dining; I'll indulge when the mood strikes, and consider the money spent when I do.

And by the way welcome back