• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some advice for UK collector please

56 posts in this topic

I have already sussed that Nick is well respected from comments on the boards. Also he was proactive and friendly in contacting me following my initial posts which was much appreciated. Thanks Mikey

Just don't tell F_T that you are a new UK boardie who is an Arsenal fan and who collects horror comics

lol

Under no circumstances sell to Silveracre if you want a fair price. To my lasting regret I sold my first collection to him in 2001 for literally nothing. (The injustice actually spurred me back into collecting - and £50,000 later here I am)

If you have any:U K fanzines, Marvelman or 2000AD OA I would be interested in buying as a collector... regards Ewan

He certainly doesn't seem popular. Just struck me as out to maximise the deal for himself. Must be hard work though making money from comics.

Sorry don't have any of what you are lookin for - my collection is almost all US Silver, Bronze and some Golden Age

Mikey

Under no circumstances sell to Silveracre if you want a fair price. To my lasting regret I sold my first collection to him in 2001 for literally nothing. (The injustice actually spurred me back into collecting - and £50,000 later here I am)

If you have any:U K fanzines, Marvelman or 2000AD OA I would be interested in buying as a collector... regards Ewan

Yeah they bought my (and my Dad's mainly) 33 year old collection in 1995 for a pittance too. It spurs me on now as well.

Wow. My 1000th post and its about my dislike of Darryl. Wonderful. lol

He certainly doesn't seem popular. Just struck me as out to maximise the deal for himself. Must be hard work though making money from comics.

Sorry don't have any of what you are lookin for - my collection is almost all US Silver, Bronze and some Golden Age

Mikey

I only made one order for comic books with him, which I arranged to pick up when I attended a local comic mart. Even at this very embryonic stage it was crystal clear that he was reneging on the agreed grade by trying to pass off any old drek as NM/M, and he seemed desperately fixated on opportunistic, short-termist control game play and basically messing me about - obviously someone without even the slightest interest in developing a long-term, sustainable business relationship.

I asked him if he had any better copies of one particular book in the warehouse, and at the next comic mart he brought back and passed over to me exactly the same book, which was well below the agreed NM/M and marked by the same very noteworthy flaws. Honestly. doh!

There were other conversations before and after this one sales encounter, certainly, but I very quickly found his incessant games more than a bit tedious and infantile and, completely bored to death by his antics, I soon decided to keep away at a safe distance. Better, more constructive things to do with my life.

Like buying comics from other boardies, for instance. (thumbs u

A lot of people have less disposable income now and will be less inclined to indulge their hobbies so perhaps he will regret losing potential loyal customers by his practices.

Certainly I have only bought one comic off him in the last 10 years as a result of that first experience whereas if he had given me any sort of deal on his inflated prices he would have got that first £150 I had in my pocket plus a share of my comic budget for the last 10 years. As it was I left his stand with the money in my pocket. Mikey

I don't think you can call yourself a UK collector unless you've had a bad experience with Silveracre

It's a shame that everyone who bought from him weren't one-book wonders, he'd have had to have shut up shop long ago if they were.

It's simply the greed I find so off-putting, never a nice characteristic but somehow particular nasty in a hobby people really care about

He's actually stopped doing London marts - I think he realised he wasn't welcome, that or he wasn't making enough cash

BTW, I must recommend a hilarious blog "London Loves Comics"

London Loves Comics

There's some great material on London marts and comic shops....

It's simply the greed I find so off-putting, never a nice characteristic but somehow particular nasty in a hobby people really care about

He's actually stopped doing London marts - I think he realised he wasn't welcome, that or he wasn't making enough cash

London Loves Comics

Is it just me, who's PC is on a go-slow since clicking on this link?

London Loves Comics

Is it just me, who's PC is on a go-slow since clicking on this link?

And you live near London :baiting: