• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show Us Your Copper Age 1st Appearance Slabs...

134 posts in this topic

There's a massive difference between books printed in 1993 and books printed in 1999.

Almost as much as books printed in 89 and 93. :baiting:

If books from the early 90's can't be moderns. (It was yesterday I swear it was) Then they have to be something other than copper.

Then it's time to put an "age" between copper and modern...Image Age seems to work. They were the harbingers of doom for the comic industry just a couple years later. I would go with that.

Storm Shadow

pc310026.jpg

By vpcomix72 at 2010-05-24

Autobots and Decepticons

pc310023.jpg

Hobgoblin

pc310007.jpg

Tied Black Costume

pc310009.jpg

pc310008.jpg

Rogue and Madelyn Pryor

pc310021.jpg

Venom

pc310024.jpg

War Machine

pc310019.jpg

There's a massive difference between books printed in 1993 and books printed in 1999.

If books from the early 90's can't be moderns. (It was yesterday I swear it was) Then they have to be something other than copper.

Then it's time to put an "age" between copper and modern...Image Age seems to work. They were the harbingers of doom for the comic industry just a couple years later. I would go with that.

:applause: WooHoo - another Copper Age debate! These are almost as fun as pressing threads!!!!

I believe the end of the Copper Age would have to be 1990 (the release of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Tutles Movie) or 1995 (The start of comics being released on the internet) :jokealert:

Well, no more than X-Force #1, X-Men #1 and Spider-man #1 were. Or all of the variant covers of the era. There are going to be 'harbingers of doom' in any Age for the next age of comics.

Look at ASM #121-122. Gerry Conway set the standard for key character deaths, a good ten years before it would become the next gimmick.

It's still a Bronze Age book, although JC's trying to convince everyone it's the start of the Bronze Age... doh!

I always felt this was the end of the Copper Age, but some here felt strongly it was the release of Image Comics. Supes 75 seems to have a much larger impact on the industry.

Is the release date right, though? CGC's label always shows January, 1993 as the release date.

Superman752276.jpg

I always felt this was the end of the Copper Age, but some here felt strongly it was the release of Image Comics. Supes 75 seems to have a much larger impact on the industry.

Is the release date right, though? CGC's label always shows January, 1993 as the release date.

Cover dated January, 1993. Book was released to the stands November 18, 1992.

Cover dated January, 1993. Book was released to the stands November 18, 1992.

:foryou:

Thank you!

Superman752276.jpg

:o Superman Died!

Mr. Sinister

WOW!

(worship)

One of my favorite books and villains. That is just an amazing book you've got there. Hold onto it about twenty years and then sell it to me k? ;-)

Or just sell it to you now, but tack on the 20 year market growth.

:o

It was actually November 20th. Comics were still being released on Fridays, not Wednesdays. I know you remember that. ;)

This is actually something that I could probably get behind, though it would take convincing.

Look, the Copper age, to all those suggesting 1992 wasn't part of it, simply cannot have ended before then. Look at 1968. Did the Silver Age end with the Marvel flood? No. It was the last great hurrah of the age. Likewise, Image, Spidey #1, X-Men #1, X-Force #1, Valiant...those are all the last great hurrah of the Copper Age. The peak of it. They aren't modern any more than Crisis is modern. They "fit", in style, tone, storytelling, with everything that had gone before in the 80's...not the 90's.

If anything the Crash heralded a new age.