• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spiderman 313 Cover - Hammers at $71,200 on Ebay

263 posts in this topic

Catwalk by Frazetta sold about 10 years ago for 125K or so on ebay.

But for pure comic book work, this is the top price?

I believe the art for TMNT 1 sold on ebay a couple of years ago for $250k.

Forgot about that.

That was the entire book though. [/quote

True. Not a 1:1 comparison, so this is a different record.

This is the top cover, then.

Break out the TMNT cover from the pages at their retail value and you have at least $100k for the cover and $150k for interiors (which is a generous interior valuation).

TMNT is still ahead of this one.

I could do that, but really, I'm happy to leave them in two separate categories. it's easier that playing with accounting to compare things that aren't necessarily comparable.

I'm not so sure that the TMNT 1 cover wouldn't do just fine on ebay. To say it would only be eric bidding is I think understating the interest. I mean just out of the people on this board I imagine Hari would be keenly interested? Sure, tmnt isn't as popular as spidey, but the TMNT 1 cover is to that franchise what the AF15 cover is to spidey. I think plenty of people would be willing to throw down a lot of cash for it and I'd be surprised if it DIDN'T break the 71k on ebay that this cover did.

Of course, this is just speculation and I'm not in the market, yada yada, but we're not just talking about "a" tmnt cover vs. "a" spidey cover.... we're talking about THE most desirable tmnt cover there is to possibly the most important book of the 80s! - a big deal!

You Mcfarlane haters need to realized something. Was Todd the best storyteller? No. Master of the human figure to put pen to paper? No. And he KNEW IT! Like Todd said "I have to do something differant to get noticed so I can get another job!" When he did Spider-Man, NO ONE had ever seen anything like that before, His pages had so much energy to them it was insane...The ultimate eye candy of comic art. Hence became a "comic book rockstar" Yes the older guys would talk trash about him for being all "style and no substance" But you also have to remember that when he was around kids between 13-16 idolized this guy, now that we are older, in our 30's +, we now have the cash to be able to afford to get some of that art that just captivated our eyes and our imaginations. Mcfarlane also stopped drawing and has kept 99.9% of all the Spawn art. So killer Spider-Man pages (Always buy the best example of the character that made the artist famous has always been my motto) are extremly tough to come by making them alot more desirable. Much like OA of Bolland...whatever is out there,is out there. Only people with deep pockets and brass balls who are wiling to spend it, can fight to buy this stuff.

Ruben i can't believe that you actually feel that John Byrne just happened to be on a popular storyline... that must be one of the funniest comment i have read in a while. Krazy Kat??? Little Nemo???? or Raymond Flash Gordon????? If i ever have a longing to collect something that artistically TO ME is as fun as listening to elevator music then i will let you know.

It always amazes me how upset people get about hearing someone else's opinion. For the record I loved the Byrne/Austin X-Men stuff. I read and re-read it. Loved the story and the artwork as well. My point for those that missed it is that there is so much nostalgia tied up in those pages that you don't know where the enthusiasm to collect those pages originates from. If nostagia was completely removed, would they be even 1/2 as popular? 1/4 as popular? Who knows. IMO, they wouldn't be.

I'm sure you threw in the dig at the older stuff just to get on my nerves. I could care less as that is just your opinion and as far as I'm concerned an uninformed one. Those guys (+ Foster Tarzan and Prince Val) were the poineers of the industry. They did things that are still being copied today and as far as Herriman and McCay are concerned, they did things that if someone tried them today would still be considered groundbreaking. I'm glad you think they're like elevator music. One less person to complete against.

How much do you guys think the Cover to ASM 324 would bring.

Pros :

It's an ASM core title cover.

It's a Todd Mcfarlane Cover

It's got a fairly major Marvel Villain on the cover. (Sabretooth's popularity was HUGE about 15 years ago but has dwindled in more recent years partially due to the they have turned Wolverine into).

Cons:

Where the hell is Spider-Man?! You only see a partial image of his hands.

Sabretooth really isn't a Spider-Man villain.

Where the hell is Spider-Man?!

So no Spider-Man on an Mcfarlane ASM cover, how much do you think this one would go?

I'm not so sure that the TMNT 1 cover wouldn't do just fine on ebay. To say it would only be eric bidding is I think understating the interest. I mean just out of the people on this board I imagine Hari would be keenly interested? Sure, tmnt isn't as popular as spidey, but the TMNT 1 cover is to that franchise what the AF15 cover is to spidey. I think plenty of people would be willing to throw down a lot of cash for it and I'd be surprised if it DIDN'T break the 71k on ebay that this cover did.

Of course, this is just speculation and I'm not in the market, yada yada, but we're not just talking about "a" tmnt cover vs. "a" spidey cover.... we're talking about THE most desirable tmnt cover there is to possibly the most important book of the 80s! - a big deal!

I would have certainly been a bidder had the cover been offered alone. And, yes, I would say it would easily beat this particular ASM cover on ebay. I would think bidding would start at 75K for the TMNT 1 cover pretty easily, but I agree with Felix that at this point we'll never know.

TMNT 1 is arguably the most important book from a historic standpoint to come out of the 80s, as it ushered in an entire black and white (and independent creator) boom. Sure, Cerebus and a few other titles were out before it, but TMNT was the true catalyst for that era.

Hari

I would have certainly been a bidder had the cover been offered alone. And, yes, I would say it would easily beat this particular ASM cover on ebay. I would think bidding would start at 75K for the TMNT 1 cover pretty easily, but I agree with Felix that at this point we'll never know.

TMNT 1 is arguably the most important book from a historic standpoint to come out of the 80s, as it ushered in an entire black and white (and independent creator) boom. Sure, Cerebus and a few other titles were out before it, but TMNT was the true catalyst for that era.

Hari

(thumbs u would look purty next to that #3 of yours Hari!

Pros :

It's got a fairly major Marvel Villain on the cover. (Sabretooth's popularity was HUGE about 15 years ago but has dwindled in more recent years partially due to the they have turned Wolverine into).

Cons:

So no Spider-Man on an Mcfarlane ASM cover, how much do you think this one would go?

great question. as a pro I'd add that its a pretty cool rendition of sabertooth - ie its a nice image

Let me throw out my completely unknowledgeable and uninformed guess based on no facts or market research whatsoever. 20k? Anybody else?

Pros :

Cons:

great question. as a pro I'd add that its a pretty cool rendition of sabertooth - ie its a nice image

Let me throw out my completely unknowledgeable and uninformed guess based on no facts or market research whatsoever. 20k? Anybody else?

I have fond memories of the book as a child. It was a "Wall Book" at the time (Probably between 92-94). :eek: I probably paid $8 for a 7.0 copy. :o

heheh. I figured you were asking for that reason (childhood memories, not overpaying). I think its an issue some people remember fondly. I can picture the cover perfectly in my mind which I can't do for every issue.

Pros :

Cons:

Higher... but not with my money. :insane: I kinda like the perspective on this cover. Never saw it before though so I dunno. (shrug)

Pros :

Cons:

Umm, isn't that the Lizard on the cover? If not, McFarlane really is a pretty bad artist.

Pros :

Cons:

Umm, isn't that the Lizard on the cover? If not, McFarlane really is a pretty bad artist.

That is 313. I am asking about the cover to 324 with Sabretooth.

AmazingSpider-Man324.jpg

Tough one. what do you think Stephen? 40 - 50 range?

I can't see it below 25 or above 75

Yeah, probably somewhere in the 40-50K range would be my guess. Its importance is apparent, however I suspect that there will be less and less interest in the series/character as time goes by. In fact, I think there's less interest each year. The same is not true of TMNT, which continues to have a stake in popular culture even to today, and could possibly attract new generations of young fans as time goes by.

Hari

Pros :

Cons:

It would sell for more than $20K. Probably a lot more. Off the top of my head:

1. In the case of a private sale...dealers will use the #313 sale as a comp and price it in that neighborhood. Then it's a matter of negotiating. No matter what, the final price will be closer to $71K than $20K.

2. If it shows up for auction (via eBay or Heritage)...seems to me there's a core group of McFarlane art owners who will make sure no ASM covers sell "cheap", to keep perceived market value up.

3. Even if #2 doesn't happen, there's likely enough real demand anyway to drive the price well beyond $20K. I saw first-hand McFarlane's effect on 90s-era fanboys. Those guys are going to be around awhile.

This is all if there's no crash in the hobby. I referenced Gene's doom-and-gloom predictions earlier in this thread...I wasn't joking about that. If a crash happens, throw everything I just said out the window. Although given the typical profile of the high-end McFarlane collector, that segment will probably survive. As with everything, time will tell.

Tough one. what do you think Stephen? 40 - 50 range?

I can't see it below 25 or above 75

Yeah, probably somewhere in the 40-50K range would be my guess. Its importance is apparent, however I suspect that there will be less and less interest in the series/character as time goes by. In fact, I think there's less interest each year. The same is not true of TMNT, which continues to have a stake in popular culture even to today, and could possibly attract new generations of young fans as time goes by.

Hari

Sad to say, I also believe interest in Cerebus will fade with time. And in turn, value in related collectibles will fade as well. It's inevitable.

TMNT, on the other hand, was purchased last year by Viacom/Paramount/Nickelodeon. They intend to exploit the property to the fullest. They hope it will be for them what Mikey Mouse is to Disney and Bugs Bunny is to Warner Brothers.

Although I don't believe there was more than one buyer at the time (or even now) for the TMNT #1 art at $250K, that doesn't mean I don't believe it may eventually turn out to be a very shrewd purchase.

If there's no crash, of course:P