• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spiderman 313 Cover - Hammers at $71,200 on Ebay

263 posts in this topic

I dunno. when it comes to comics tmnt was basically a 12 issue mini series. (after that, it was one "guest artist" and "guest writer" after another).

vs a 300 issue epic that at times had about the same circulation as tmnt did (and came out every month, not every five).

There's no question which title was the bigger achievement, just as there's no question which title spawned the bigger commercial success.

They are such apples and oranges and certainly while tmnt is bigger and has always been, I think and hope that cerebus will always have its fans. Its too big and good a run to be unappreciated.

well I know people always say this but if prices crash on those early books I will be only too happy to replace the copies I sold.

I used to have most of the top census early issues before the file copies came out and destroyed what was previously a barren census. Couldn't have timed that sale better! Whew!

"I'm so sick of all the haters on these boards who continue to disrespect the most important artist of his generation"

Seriously? The guy's a good artist, but get yourself some salt.

I never said that!

I think we have to divorce his cover art from his interiors a little.

interiors are not too hot at times. nobody will confuse his storytelling ability for kirby or barks (although it wasn't too bad either).

But you have to give him credit for some good covers. They have their faults which are well documented but you have to admit they are mostly dynamic, well-posed, lots of action. Some are interesting conceptually like spidey 311 with spidey in mysterio's reflection, hulk 340 with hulk in wolvie's reflection, hulk 345 pushing the logo out of the way, etc.

There's a reason he got popular - if you look at the covers again with a fresh eye, there's movement and action and the characters and dynamic and alive. Enough so to get a bunch of 10 to 18 year olds interested in his titles back in the day.

Not the best artist on the block but at that time dynamic, different, interesting. What the horde of less talented followers did after him is not his fault just as you can't blame frank miller for every brutally bad "dark" comic written in the late 80s to mid 90s.

interiors are not too hot at times. nobody will confuse his storytelling ability for kirby or barks (although it wasn't too bad either).

But you have to give him credit for some good covers. They have their faults which are well documented but you have to admit they are mostly dynamic, well-posed, lots of action. Some are interesting conceptually like spidey 311 with spidey in mysterio's reflection, hulk 340 with hulk in wolvie's reflection, hulk 345 pushing the logo out of the way, etc.

There's a reason he got popular - if you look at the covers again with a fresh eye, there's movement and action and the characters and dynamic and alive. Enough so to get a bunch of 10 to 18 year olds interested in his titles back in the day.

Not the best artist on the block but at that time dynamic, different, interesting. What the horde of less talented followers did after him is not his fault just as you can't blame frank miller for every brutally bad "dark" comic written in the late 80s to mid 90s.

This is true. Say what you want, but he did bring back some dynamic nature to the covers, something that was sorely needed. Kirby is often credited with doing a similar thing in the 60s; that is, making the reader really excited about the action within. That is much harder to do than it seems, and McFarlane was good at it. I wouldn't mind having a nice one of his covers, but I'm not a fan enough to pony up what it looks like it'll take at this point.

That is much harder to do than it seems,

It is indeed ! Its the difference between being boris and being frazetta.

congrats to Mr. 'sweep the leg', who presumably grew up in the 80's. lol

lol

Many of the cast were reunited this year as part of this music video directed by the "sweep the leg kid."

Damn. Mr sweep has my all time favorite cover too.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=518942&GSub=82088

Read this as an X-Men Classic in the late 80's. :)

Of his stuff (which is great), this is my favorite:

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=531429&GSub=76446

I was working at a shop when that came out and I remember there being a buzz in the store about that issue. A lot of people talked specifically about that image.

How much do you guys think the Cover to ASM 324 would bring.

Pros :

It's an ASM core title cover.

It's a Todd Mcfarlane Cover

It's got a fairly major Marvel Villain on the cover. (Sabretooth's popularity was HUGE about 15 years ago but has dwindled in more recent years partially due to the they have turned Wolverine into).

Cons:

Where the hell is Spider-Man?! You only see a partial image of his hands.

Sabretooth really isn't a Spider-Man villain.

Where the hell is Spider-Man?!

So no Spider-Man on an Mcfarlane ASM cover, how much do you think this one would go?

great question. as a pro I'd add that its a pretty cool rendition of sabertooth - ie its a nice image

Let me throw out my completely unknowledgeable and uninformed guess based on no facts or market research whatsoever. 20k? Anybody else?

It would sell for more than $20K. Probably a lot more. Off the top of my head:

1. In the case of a private sale...dealers will use the #313 sale as a comp and price it in that neighborhood. Then it's a matter of negotiating. No matter what, the final price will be closer to $71K than $20K.

2. If it shows up for auction (via eBay or Heritage)...seems to me there's a core group of McFarlane art owners who will make sure no ASM covers sell "cheap", to keep perceived market value up.

3. Even if #2 doesn't happen, there's likely enough real demand anyway to drive the price well beyond $20K. I saw first-hand McFarlane's effect on 90s-era fanboys. Those guys are going to be around awhile.

This is all if there's no crash in the hobby. I referenced Gene's doom-and-gloom predictions earlier in this thread...I wasn't joking about that. If a crash happens, throw everything I just said out the window. Although given the typical profile of the high-end McFarlane collector, that segment will probably survive. As with everything, time will tell.

This isn't a comic book, you can't base a price of one cover to another.

How much do you guys think the Cover to ASM 324 would bring.

Pros :

It's an ASM core title cover.

It's a Todd Mcfarlane Cover

It's got a fairly major Marvel Villain on the cover. (Sabretooth's popularity was HUGE about 15 years ago but has dwindled in more recent years partially due to the they have turned Wolverine into).

Cons:

Where the hell is Spider-Man?! You only see a partial image of his hands.

Sabretooth really isn't a Spider-Man villain.

Where the hell is Spider-Man?!

So no Spider-Man on an Mcfarlane ASM cover, how much do you think this one would go?

great question. as a pro I'd add that its a pretty cool rendition of sabertooth - ie its a nice image

Let me throw out my completely unknowledgeable and uninformed guess based on no facts or market research whatsoever. 20k? Anybody else?

It would sell for more than $20K. Probably a lot more. Off the top of my head:

1. In the case of a private sale...dealers will use the #313 sale as a comp and price it in that neighborhood. Then it's a matter of negotiating. No matter what, the final price will be closer to $71K than $20K.

2. If it shows up for auction (via eBay or Heritage)...seems to me there's a core group of McFarlane art owners who will make sure no ASM covers sell "cheap", to keep perceived market value up.

3. Even if #2 doesn't happen, there's likely enough real demand anyway to drive the price well beyond $20K. I saw first-hand McFarlane's effect on 90s-era fanboys. Those guys are going to be around awhile.

This is all if there's no crash in the hobby. I referenced Gene's doom-and-gloom predictions earlier in this thread...I wasn't joking about that. If a crash happens, throw everything I just said out the window. Although given the typical profile of the high-end McFarlane collector, that segment will probably survive. As with everything, time will tell.

This isn't a comic book, you can't base a price of one cover to another.

From personal experience this is something that happens every day in this hobby. Artwork is difficult to value given its unique nature. People can and do use sales of other pieces to gauge what others are worth.

In this case we are talking about comparing an artist's other work against this one sale. It's entirely relevant, when figuring what an artist's work is worth, to see what other pieces have sold and at what price. It's not the end all be all of valuation but it's an important cog in the equation.

You still have to look at title, character, content, inker, and how close this piece fell to that creator's "peak period" if he has/had one.