• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does This Look Like a CGC 9.4?

116 posts in this topic

I really believe everyone is being too critical.

I agree. At worst it appears to be a 9.2. That's not too far off from 9.4.

Am I missing something? Did this really deserve it's own thread? A book that may be .2 or .4 off depending on what it really looks like (as opposed to a scan?) Stop the presses! 27_laughing.gif

Am I missing something? Did this really deserve it's own thread? A book that may be .2 or .4 off depending on what it really looks like (as opposed to a scan?) Stop the presses! 27_laughing.gif

No kidding. I was expecting to see a monstrosity with a big chunk missing out of it. confused-smiley-013.gif

I agree it's a gorgeous book,...but I also agree that it isn't consistent with what CGC has been grading other books at 9.4....we have been trained over the last 4 years to not even consider a book like this with 3 out of 4 soft corners to come back a 9.4.....it just comes down to consistencey...I mean how many times have you sent in a book with a perfect spine and 4 sharp corners only to get it back a 9.2 or 9.0?.....

I agree it's a gorgeous book,...but I also agree that it isn't consistent with what CGC has been grading other books at 9.4....we have been trained over the last 4 years to not even consider a book like this with 3 out of 4 soft corners to come back a 9.4.....it just comes down to consistencey...I mean how many times have you sent in a book with a perfect spine and 4 sharp corners only to get it back a 9.2 or 9.0?.....

Here's the problem:

Looking at a book (or scan), you might see a 9.2 with a few soft corners and ASSUME that is the only DEFECT that is bring the book down. But without calling CGC, there is no way of knowing what else brought the grade down.

very lovely book and 9.2/9.4 so what?!?! they are so close who's to say......

now my real question is; are DC's in 9.4 pulling in at least 2x's guide?? i'm assuming the reserve was set somewhere at that level. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I find this 'search for a perfect copy to remind me of the joy of owning these when they came out' line to be a bunch of BS, as so little of what was sold started on racks as NM or better.

Amen, brother!!!!!!! couldn't have said it better if i tried smile.gif

Point well taken, gp and burnt... but maybe the way to look at it is this: even if the books you bought off the rack weren't really NM (or better), your memories of them may be 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I certainly remember buying back issues that were well below NM (and in many cases, well below VG, for that matter), but I don't really recall buying 'new' comics off the rack that didn't at least seem like NM to my young eyes/mind. (Okay, I remember getting my subscription copies of ASM, DD, FF and Avengers in roughly FN or so because they were folded before mailing...but that's different...)

I'm not a HG snob, but I do strive for VF or better GA books and VF/NM or better SA, because it doesn't take more than a few minor defects to dramatically reduce the comic's ability to "take you back to your youth," in my opinion...

I agree it's a gorgeous book,...but I also agree that it isn't consistent with what CGC has been grading other books at 9.4

That's the main point of the thread, as this one took me for a real loop. If it had been an early SA book, I wouldn't have batted an eyelash, but a Modern with seriously blunt corners like that just doesn't make sense.

1-2 slightly blunt? Maybe, but that book looks like some of my reader copies of Byrne X-men, no word of a lie. 893whatthe.gif

Steve at CGC, "How far should we drop a 10.0 book for 4 mind-numbing minimally rounded corners that 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of all books have?

10? lower.

9.9? lower.

9.8? lower.

9.6? no, lower.

9.4? Sounds good to me, we've droped the grade on this bad boy 4 levels for 4 barely rounded corners, let's wrap it up boys! Hey Mark, bring in the next stack of X-men."

27_laughing.gif893whatthe.gif893frustrated.gifmakepoint.gif893applaud-thumb.gifsign-funnypost.gifsumo.gifpopcorn.gif

Timely

Steve at CGC, "How far should we drop a 10.0 book for 4 mind-numbing minimally rounded corners

Come on, did you even look at the book? I have readers that are sharper than that bottom right corner. 893frustrated.gif

That scan is big enough to directly compare an issue you have in hand to??

I guess that depends on your eyesight, and if you think those corners are 9.4-level sharp, then I recommend an eye exam. 27_laughing.gif

But on a serious note, I am totally unable to find any consistencies with CGC grading, but all other things being equal, I would never even contemplate sending a raw book like this in to CGC. My mistake apparently, and I almost feel like I should collate my Byrne X-Mens into a huge "VF/NM or higher" stack and then just randomly pull issues out, submit them and see what happens. confused-smiley-013.gif

The only thing I can think of in relation to this comic, is that one or more corners have what CGC has determined as production flaws. The upper-right corner does look like a production issue, with possibly a small piece missing, which could make the 9.4 grade easier to understand.